Trapdoorwatch 2016-17

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A third division forum is certainly the best place to go looking for that when it's just as easy to post in the premier division one.

Nobody in here cares never mind up in the Premiership.

Confirmation a level down that (with neither EOSL contenders holding licences) the SOSL champion - Edusport Academy - are promoted automatically to LL.

http://slfl.co.uk/edusport-academy-win-promotion-to-the-lowland-league/

Preston Athletic are relegated to EOSL.

Under the "safety valve" relegation arrangements Selkirk wait to see if Buckie prevail higher-up... if they do, they too are relegated to EOSL.

Confirmation a level down that (with neither EOSL contenders holding licences) the SOSL champion - Edusport Academy - are promoted automatically to LL.

http://slfl.co.uk/edusport-academy-win-promotion-to-the-lowland-league/

Preston Athletic are relegated to EOSL

Christ, if that league wasn't cheapened enough with Uni teams, now we have the joy of having a glorified French training camp in it as well. Unbelievable when we actually have a country full of legitimate teams. The sooner clubs start seeing the light and coming across from the Juniors, the better for all.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Christ, if that league wasn't cheapened enough with Uni teams, now we have the joy of having a glorified French training camp in it as well. Unbelievable when we actually have a country full of legitimate teams. The sooner clubs start seeing the light and coming across from the Juniors, the better for all.

I understand the scepticism about Edusport... but what makes say Edinburgh University "illegitimate"?

They have a fine little stadium of their own, built with their own money - with one of the best playing surfaces in non-league football, floodlights, a good grandstand, turnstiles, an excellent social club, and so on.

They've a modest support, but it isn't the worst in LL - and they have a community it just happens to be a social / gathered / demographic one instead of a geographic one. Since moving up into LL they've finished 11th 6th & 10th. What's "illegitimate"?

They run more overall teams than most other clubs and do youth work in the community around their ground. In the Scottish Cup they've beaten several HL teams - and taken Brora and then Junior champion Hurlford to replays.

This idea that they're undeserving seems to crop up quite often but to me it seems assumptive or maybe reverse snobbery.

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I understand the scepticism about Edusport... but what makes say Edinburgh University "illegitimate"?

They have a fine little stadium of their own, built with their own money - with one of the best playing surfaces in non-league football, floodlights, a good grandstand, turnstiles, an excellent social club, and so on.

They've a modest support, but it isn't the worst in LL - and they have a community it just happens to be a social / gathered / demographic one instead of a geographic one. Since moving up into LL they've finished 11th 6th & 10th. What's "illegitimate"?

They run more overall teams than most other clubs and do youth work in the community around their ground. In the Scottish Cup they've beaten several HL teams - and taken Brora and then Junior champion Hurlford to replays.

This idea that they're undeserving seems to crop up quite often but to me it seems assumptive or maybe reverse snobbery.

I can only presume that he's meaning that the Uni sides won't have much of a support. Personally I would prefer them to Edusport as you say have their own fan base and do work in the community etc a lot more than Edusport will ever have.

They can as long as whatever ground they are renting is up to snuff. The differences between entry level licensing and the requirements for SPFL membership are fairly trivial things like having bronze license level floodlights, so that's unlikely to ever be an issue.

20 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I can only presume that he's meaning that the Uni sides won't have much of a support. Personally I would prefer them to Edusport as you say have their own fan base and do work in the community etc a lot more than Edusport will ever have.

Edinburgh Uni and Stirling Uni (at Forthbank - not seen them at Falkirk) get as good or better crowds as several other LL side, in my experience.

17 hours ago, PELE said:

Surely Edusport can't be promoted to league 2, if successful.

Criteria are same as LL except better floodlights. Already share SPFL2 ground.

On 02/05/2017 at 22:13, EKFCTV said:

HIGHLIGHTS | Buckie Thistle vs East Kilbride

Clear dive for the Buckie penalty and EK should have had one right before their equaliser. Poor reffing.

:lol:

Don't know about Stirling. Edinburgh seem to have a wide variety of hats, scarves, shirts etc. branded with the club logo (which is different from the university logo - indeed the club is Edinburgh University AFC but the institution is the University of Edinburgh). Also the social club serves excellent home baking!

I don't know about songs but in 2014 I went to the King Cup Final when Edinburgh Uni - then still in EOSL - beat Whitehill Welfare and at the end their players gathered into a sort of 'cub scouts sitting around a campfire' thing and sung off a variety of eclectic pieces, half of which were totally incomprehensible to outside ears :unsure:. Over the course of a season uni squads play an inordinate number of games together - on top of their senior leagues and associated cups they have university tournaments most Wednesdays, and lots of them seem to turn-out for their U20s on Friday nights too. They have teams in local amateur leagues, SYFA U21s and so on too. I suppose that, socials and regular nights-out builds a "camaraderie" you don't get at 'regular' clubs.

EDIT: Should be added they're also big on discipline - I've been at games involving unis where player has spoken back or sworn at the referee and been immediately pulled-off by the manager; when it comes to SFA disciplinary points rewards and end-of-season fair play awards almost invariably a uni win.

58 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't know about songs but in 2014 I went to the King Cup Final when Edinburgh Uni - then still in EOSL - beat Whitehill Welfare and at the end their players gathered into a sort of 'cub scouts sitting around a campfire' thing and sung off a variety of eclectic pieces, half of which were totally incomprehensible to outside ears :unsure:

I remember it well. Our players gathered into a sort of 'f**k the showers, let's avoid Peter and get out of here' thing. I cut short a weekend in Torridon to get to that.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Do Edinburgh and Stirling fans wear university scarves?

What songs do they sing?

Do Edinburgh fans taunt Stirling fans by singing, "We got into our first choice Ra Ra Ra"?

I think a lot of the Edinburgh ones sing "I didn't get into Cambridge" TBH :lol:

Archived