Trapdoorwatch 2016-17

The idea that you are a reasonable arbiter of what's "normal" and "well-adjusted" is hilarious.

The only reason I'm posting about the Brora game is that you keep intoning in a voice of authority that Brora deliberately lost that tie two years ago, whenever the subject is raised. You appear unable to keep track of your own arguments.

I've no idea whatever it was you posted on Northern Ireland politics but I'm happy to leave you cherishing your delusions.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He knows fine well where I stand on that. Posts like the ones in this thread have been going on for years now off and on. Probably best to just put him on ignore again as I have done in the past. As for Brora's second leg flop I am going off stuff I saw on Fitba North from people that know the score on this sort of stuff.

I was at the second leg of the Mo-Brora tie and while Sid Mackay's red was incredibly needless you'd imagine Brora wouldn't it leave until the 75th minute to concede an equaliser and there was no way Garry's winner was let in on purpose. It was a fucking screamer. I did think they were disappointing given the quality of the players they had (for example Zander up against big Marv should've been a real mis-match but Marv dealt with him easily) but to say they chucked it on purpose would be a massive exaggeration.

If Brora wanted to throw the play off then the penalty shoot out against Edinburgh would have been the time to do so.

Instead Brora won on penalties against Edinburgh and were less than 20 mins away from beating Montrose.

If Brora wanted to throw the play off then the penalty shoot out against Edinburgh would have been the time to do so.

Instead Brora won on penalties against Edinburgh and were less than 20 mins away from beating Montrose before they decided to chuck it.

FTFY.

I was at the second leg of the Mo-Brora tie and while Sid Mackay's red was incredibly needless you'd imagine Brora wouldn't it leave until the 75th minute to concede an equaliser and there was no way Garry's winner was let in on purpose. It was a fucking screamer.

If you were there you'd have seen that after big Marv nodded in that header they just punted the ball straight back to Mo from the kick off. Not the done thing in that situation. Full credit for the boy pinging it in top bins though.

I would not claim that with any certainty that Brora were desperate to up, far from it. But I'd also argue they certainly didn't appear intent on losing. Not only was the Brora goal well taken but a couple of their players (Dale Gillespie and Joe Malin I believe) had meltdowns on twitter after the game.

Hopefully Buckie are doing their absolute best because the supposed lack of ambition to progress from HL teams recently (and indeed North teams given the Spey Valley fiasco) is worrying.

Instead Brora won on penalties against Edinburgh and were less than 20 mins away from beating Montrose.

City's record in penalty shootouts has for many years been a standing joke in Lowland/East of Scotland League football. Even so, I was in the Brora committee room after the game and there wasn't any atmosphere of "oh shite, what have we done?" In fact, they seemed quite pleased.

"Chucking it" allegations are thrown around freely. There was some clown on FN who was saying after the Brora game that it was apparently common knowledge that City didn't want to come up. On this site Cove Rangers were accused of lying down to City last season when the truth is that City played them off the park in Inverurie.

7 hours ago, afca32 said:

I would not claim that with any certainty that Brora were desperate to up, far from it. But I'd also argue they certainly didn't appear intent on losing. Not only was the Brora goal well taken but a couple of their players (Dale Gillespie and Joe Malin I believe) had meltdowns on twitter after the game.

The issue as I understand it was more whether the team that showed up that particular day was the strongest they could have fielded. There's no way you can walk into a dressing room and explicitly order an entire team to lose a game like that, so don't doubt there would have been some people that were very upset after the game.

16 minutes ago, afca32 said:

They were severely lacking in subs...

For what outsiders would tend to view as the most important game in their history. Would something like that happen with any LL club in a similar situation? I seriously doubt it. That's where the suspicions that something was a bit off about the whole thing start given their main financial benefactor had been vocal about wanting to stay in the HL. 

HL teams simply aren't good enough to decide when they want to and don't want to win play-off games. Scottish Cup results back that up.

You get absolute guff about teams not wanting to get promoted all the time. Some Brechin fan was even questioning their board's desire for promotion this season.

Maybe, just maybe, Brechin aren't good enough to rampage through L1 and gain promotion with ease. Crazy I know, but worth considering.

32 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

HL teams simply aren't good enough to decide when they want to and don't want to win play-off games. Scottish Cup results back that up.

Sure the likes of Rothes and Fort William clearly aren't good enough, but what does that prove? It's only the three or four well-funded teams at the top which are relevant on this and the champion amongst them only needs to be better over 180 minutes than the very worst SPFL club to get in. Given that backdrop, I would suggest that Cup results don't actually prove what you think they do. Brora's reluctance to be promoted two years back is well documented. You can get a sample of how enthused Buckie people are about the prospect of getting promoted into the SPFL this time around in this clip:

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Sure the likes of Rothes and Fort William clearly aren't good enough, but what does that prove? It's only the three or four well-funded teams at the top which are relevant on this and the champion amongst them only need to be better than the very worst SPFL club to get in. Given that backdrop, I would suggest that Cup results don't actually prove what you think they do. Brora's reluctance to be promoted two years back is well documented. You can get a sample of how enthused Buckie people are about the prospect of getting promoted into the SPFL this time around in this clip:

Pity there aren't any highlights of the game.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Pity there aren't any highlights of the game.

There are highlights - I posted them in the match thread. Can find them on the Press and Journal website under the Highland League section.

Archived