Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I think you'll find that's rare colour footage of the Dundee v Aberdeen game from 1936 mentioned on the previous page...

Anyone got pictures of a good old Scottish mudbath ground?

EDIT:

rochs19.jpg

rochs12.jpg

St Rochs v St Anthony's a couple of seasons ago. Fair play to the ref for putting it on in a mudbath- it was a cracking game! 

2 minutes ago, CityDave said:

The view from the stand at The Chris Anderson stadium which forms part of the Aberdeen Sports Village. Lewis Utd the home team shown here in green and white hoops + white shorts, that's if you can see them properly. Can't say I like running tracks around football pitches, everything is too far away to see properly. Especially at this level you need to be closer to the action.

In the distance behind the hedge on the other side of the running track is New Advocates Park home of Aberdeen East End.

DSC00100.JPG

Did you ever enjoy the pleasure of getting shat on by starlings in the old wooden stand at the Chris Anderson? Made a change from seagulls...! 

18 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Don't have a picture of a train passing but Banks O' Dee is one.

This pic you can see the track just outside the ground running parallel with the boundary wall.

Football travels July 09  to Dec  09 063.jpg

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Did you ever enjoy the pleasure of getting shat on by starlings in the old wooden stand at the Chris Anderson? Made a change from seagulls...! 

No, I've never been to the old ground. A picture of the old stand was up on one of the old non league websites during the last decade, would be interesting to find it again.

The only two places I've been where the gulls make their pressence felt are at Pittodrie and Somerset Park. Didn't Willie Miller have his baguette nicked of him by a gull live on air BBC Sportsound at Pittodrie a couple of years ago?

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

Can't really see from that picture, but the corner that would be on the bottom right is also substantially higher than the corner on the bottom left.

IIRC, Wick Academy's pitch is on a really noticeable slope. Goalkeepers get altitude sickness when they swap ends at half-time.

15 minutes ago, CityDave said:

No, I've never been to the old ground. A picture of the old stand was up on one of the old non league websites during the last decade, would be interesting to find it again.

The only two places I've been where the gulls make their pressence felt are at Pittodrie and Somerset Park. Didn't Willie Miller have his baguette nicked of him by a gull live on air BBC Sportsound at Pittodrie a couple of years ago?

They just like to get a good spot to watch the game. 

FB_IMG_1472647022139.jpg

13 hours ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Something I used to be fascinated by when I was young and watched football on the telly. Invalid cars. They had a place at many a game and were mostly seen at grounds that tended to have semi circular areas behind the goal. If anyone is from the Alloa area, they'll remember the old garage in Fishcross that had a dozen or so of them at the side of the building stacked on top of each other.

image.jpeg

Loads of those blue cars behind the celebrations after this famous finish.

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

They just like to get a good spot to watch the game. 

FB_IMG_1472647022139.jpg

They don't look to interested in game matters, maybe they like goading the away support hence why they are in the pic looking towards that shed where the away support usually go?.

Not a quirk as such but that view of Somerset reminds me of being there for a Pars game last season where there was a minutes silence for some reason and the burger van to the right of the camera is was blasting out some cheesy Europop tune that was on their radio during it while also shouting that people could get their sugar for their coffee at the end of the bar.

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Using GoogleMaps to check for cemeteries near to football grounds. There's something I never thought I'd spent 15mins doing...

Without having checked some of the newbuilds it appears Aberdeen, Brechin, Celtic, Dunfermline and Hibs are the only SPFL grounds with cemeteries/churchyards directly beside or very nearby.

As topcat indicates the next nearest looks to be Hearts - couple of hundred yards from Dalry Cemetery and a bit nearer to North Merchiston (New Dalry) Cemetery which is the patch of trees at the middle bottom of his photo - and also Peterhead, which is about the same distance away from Balmoor Cemetery to the west and what seems like a churchyard to the south-east.

Dumbarton's old ground Boghead was just off Cemetery Road. So called because it led to ... the cemetery.

Not just the hedge at Brechin but the steep slope down to one corner on that side of the ground as well.

Gayfield - not design as such but if it's blowing a gale off the North Sea the ball has been known to blow back to players when they kick it.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

6 hours ago, CityDave said:

The picture below - I would think the same would be if someones shot at goal went over the bar at Dunbar. There's no row z here.

There's another find-a-ground quest, ones that have railway tracks running close and you can see trains passing on match day. Raith Rovers, Clachnacuddin.....any others?

Edit: Morton, Cowdenbeath, Arthurlie. Not sure if you can see the track from new St. Mirren Park. Luncarty and Pollok also spring to mind.

DSC00044.JPG

Kilbowie

Irvine Victoria ground. In years gone by ( before health and safety gone mad etc. etc), used to sit on the bank as high up as you liked, great for a summer evening watching the Vics v Meadow Marymass game

Image result for irvine victoria football groundImage result for irvine victoria football ground

Edited by MEADOWXI

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Quite a natural thing, if you think of it - cheap and plentiful land on the edge (as it was then) of cities and towns was attractive to cemetery developers and sports teams.

Hibs - opposite side of the street behind the Famous Five stand is the Eastern Cemetery, Drum Terrace.

Aberdeen - backs onto the Trinity Cemetery.

Celtic - backs onto the Eastern Necropolis.

Brechin - has a Cemetery End, IIRC, so presumably backs onto one.

Must be more, too.

McDiarmid sounds like a cemetry it's so quiet . . .

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Not a quirk as such but that view of Somerset reminds me of being there for a Pars game last season where there was a minutes silence for some reason and the burger van to the right of the camera is was blasting out some cheesy Europop tune that was on their radio during it while also shouting that people could get their sugar for their coffee at the end of the bar.

Wasn't last season (it was a few days after the Clutha helicopter crash). All you could hear during the minute's silence was 'ONIONS?' coming from the lassie serving in the burger van. Was pretty funny and I was having to suppress laughter.

342144_kereta-api-melewati-stadion-marka

Not Scotland but, given the train views chat, this Slovakian one had to be included. Don't know how it came about but the train running between the stand and the pitch is superb. The H&S folk in the UK would have nightmares.