Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

That was taken 8 years ago. I'm not sure how adding a gymnasium on the north side of the ground would help in insulating from the cold. Its a nice stadium but without having much in the way of character. But sheeit its bloody freezing in the winter. I'd put Rugby Park and Forthbank in the freezing zone as well Station Park can be a bit brass monkeys. The grounds away from the coast are coldest, worse if they are prone to a freezing wind and Broadwood is one of the high in altitude grounds in this country. I think there are a couple of Juniors grounds that can be bad. I know up in the Highlands Keith's Kynoch Park is a bit exposed and up near the edge of a hill. 

Inverness is ten times colder than RP! Ours is in the middle of the town, surrounded by housing. Inverness is wide open and has wide open spaces across the stadium! 

Lesmahagow Juniors park is in a massive natural bowl, you can watch the game from the gods behind the far goal. Can't really find a picture to do it justice. Also loves a flood.

Les2.jpg

lesmahagow2_1887124a.jpg

Tinto Park, home of Benburb was one of my favourites. It's massive crumbling terraced stand was quite eerie.

benburbdog.JPG

Not in Scotland, but close enough. Carlisle United's newest stand extends beyond the pitch, they'd originally planned to rebuild the other three sides and shunt the pitch up a bit, but ran out of cash. A good old ground to visit with really big terraces, they plan to move to a new identikit stadium, so best see it while it's still here.

carlisle_aerial2.jpg

4 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

Not in Scotland, but close enough. Carlisle United's newest stand extends beyond the pitch, they'd originally planned to rebuild the other three sides and shunt the pitch up a bit, but ran out of cash. A good old ground to visit with really big terraces, they plan to move to a new identikit stadium, so best see it while it's still here.

carlisle_aerial2.jpg

Another one that loves a flood. 

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

Maybe the owner wanted to build a house on that spot?.

Is this the ground that has the drainage issues over the last couple of seasons or is this a completely different new one?.

Absolutely no idea, but the AAFA website has an amateur team listed as playing out of Findon this season.

Indeed, it is the very same ground. It was built during a winter and never really got time to bed in before Stoneywood started playing on it. Seems to have ironed out its issues now drainage wise, done a lot of work over the last year to get it in shape. I should know, run round the airport perimeter fence quite regularly on my way back from Dyce to Bucksburn.

3 hours ago, CityDave said:

Bo'ness Utd - When is a Main Stand not a Main Stand? A view towards the North Enclosure with a dugout like standing area below pitch level and a closer look at the North Enclosure.

DSC00026.JPG

Here's when it actually was a main stand:

1514.jpg

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

bs sheg's goal.jpg

I was a bit disappointed on my first visit to Lochburn Park, Maryhill to find that the uncovered seating doesn't seem to be used any more- you get some idea in this photo of the vegetation that is blocking access to it. (City scoring a goal against BSC last season at Lochburn)

Only time I can recall seeing those seats used was around 10 years ago When Pollok beat Clydebank in a cup final there. I'm sure it will have been used since but not on the 4 or 5 occasions I have been back since.

The main stand at ICT always sticks out for me. It just looks a bit like they started building it and just stuck a few bits on that they couldn't find when they were first needed. Gives it a bit of charm though I wouldn't like to spend a wet night sitting there.

Going back to Maryhill, I like the way the raised areas are right on the pitch effectively forming a wall around it. There are a few other places in Scotland with similar looking structures, though most tend to be a bit further back from the park, like Hamilton.

13 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Going back to Maryhill, I like the way the raised areas are right on the pitch effectively forming a wall around it. There are a few other places in Scotland with similar looking structures, though most tend to be a bit further back from the park, like Hamilton.

Just down the road at Firhill, you used to be well above the pitch before they built the JHS.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The most irritating thing about it is that Celtic have generally had plenty of empty seats in recent years.

There may well be restricted view seats for home supporters but they'll generally be empty 

If they were giving the best 59,500 seats to their own fans and leaving the rubbish ones to the visitors that wouldn't be very nice of them but one could hardly complain about them looking after their own fans first.

As things stand they seem to be doing it out of spite

Agreed that it seems they do it out of spite, but bizarrely, on our last two visits they've moved us along. I know it was especially small crowds on both days, but there must've been other games with similar crowds that I can't remember seeing away fans moved for their benefit.

League Cup Celtic.jpe

Scottish Cup Celtic.jpg

5 minutes ago, Toby said:

Agreed that it seems they do it out of spite, but bizarrely, on our last two visits they've moved us along. I know it was especially small crowds on both days, but there must've been other games with similar crowds that I can't remember seeing away fans moved for their benefit.

League Cup Celtic.jpe

Scottish Cup Celtic.jpg

In that case Id like to temper my criticism with a soupçon of praise

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

In that case Id like to temper my criticism with a side order of praise

I've just never understood why it's only been us. I know they've played Raith and Arbroath in poorly attended cup ties in recent years, but have they been moved along? I'd hate to think that the clubs actually have a good relationship.

1 hour ago, gavin_3110 said:

carlisle_aerial2.jpg

That makes me feel ill. 

I was at Rugby Park a few years ago for a Kilmarnock v Aberdeen game and the temperature went right down with the sun at about 4:30. Clear skies and sunshine that afternoon but as soon as the sun dropped low in the sky the colder and colder it got, you could start to see the pitch beginning to freeze in places even with the undersoil heating and by the final whistle it was unbearable and I just wanted to get out of there even if it had a very good game. I heard later that the temperature had dropped to -5 by the end. I've been to Montrose in winter that's a cold place and the weird thing is the higher up in the Main stand I went the warmer it was and out of the wind. But I've never experienced temperatures from the grounds near to sea than I have at the inland games and I go to games at Inverness in the winter and many of the Highland League grounds and people complain about Inverness being too cold. Never mind the snow and wind that comes of the sea when you start to see the pitch visibly freeze in front of your eyes its a lot worse, worse even more if the wind is blowing.

I'd like to experience an Arbroath game in winter, I imagine the conditions there have in the past quickly weed out the weaklings. I remember hearing about how at Gayfield once the match had to be abandoned after the East Stirlingshire keeper had to save one of his own goal kicks!!

I've seen a few games in blizzard conditions such as one I saw over in Fraserburgh a few years ago. Minus temperatures there that day (there were some crazy people surfing at the beach there!!! wtf!).

Killie fans will remember this game from this pic below, this is the game where David Fernandez tried to claim a penalty despite the mark in the snow where he dived and landed being ten feet outside the penalty box. Also this Scottish Cup tie in Inverness between Clach and Stenhousemuir where the pitch although playable was starting to freeze up, that was also cold one from memory.

football travels Nov 08 to Apr 09 069.jpg

football travels Nov 08 to Apr 09 034.jpg

56 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

Apologies if it's been posted previously but Broomfield Park's pavilion was always an odd sight on the old Sportscene back in the day.

48899228aeaa011fa17e1cbf8477c0e5.jpg

Good one - how many clubs have (or had) pavilions?

Third Lanark did:

cathkinpark1.jpg

Parkhead long ago (also notice the glazed stand like Cove's):

20130310-094935.jpg

I've just never understood why it's only been us. I know they've played Raith and Arbroath in poorly attended cup ties in recent years, but have they been moved along? I'd hate to think that the clubs actually have a good relationship.

Nah we were in the corner. Had a good support through that day too. Not as much as Morton. Probably about 1500, maybe more. Parkhead was empty.

It's ashame cause I can't seem to find any photos, DavieBhoy must've missed that game.

8 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Cove's old ground used to have an indoor bowling lawn.

Does Meadowbank still have a long jump pit in the concourse?

They used to have karate lessons on every time I went there that you could see from the stand.

Don't recall that. Concourse is an indoor 6-lane 100m track, tbf.

DP00052765.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, gavin_3110 said:

Lesmahagow Juniors park is in a massive natural bowl, you can watch the game from the gods behind the far goal. Can't really find a picture to do it justice. Also loves a flood.

Les2.jpg

lesmahagow2_1887124a.jpg

Well, that would be handy if you wanted to bring on a sub.