Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

35 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

By the way, hat tipped to CityDave. Some brilliant pics on here.

Thanks. I'm glad they are enjoyed.

Even if the quality isn't great due to just using a small cheap mobile, I do try to get it framed right. The problem there is I have to hold the phone up for longer just to get it right. No problem for grounds outside the SPL as it was called then but with SPL clubs you draw the attention of the stewards if they see you taking photographs inside the stadiums. I just say I'm only interested in taking photos of the stadium rather than the football.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 013.jpg

10 hours ago, CityDave said:

The picture below - I would think the same would be if someones shot at goal went over the bar at Dunbar. There's no row z here.

There's another find-a-ground quest, ones that have railway tracks running close and you can see trains passing on match day. Raith Rovers, Clachnacuddin.....any others?

Edit: Morton, Cowdenbeath, Arthurlie. Not sure if you can see the track from new St. Mirren Park. Luncarty and Pollok also spring to mind.

DSC00044.JPG

You can see trains from Falkirk too.

Just now, Currahee! said:

You can see trains from Falkirk too.

They are a bit of distance away. This question was with grounds that have railways running right past them like at Starks Park. Although you can see trains from the Falkirk Stadium you would be further away from the track than you would be from Tynecastle or Hampden Park.

Have a look at some of the non league sides in and around Edinburgh, its a busy part of Scotland for trains.

7 minutes ago, CityDave said:

They are a bit of distance away. This question was with grounds that have railways running right past them like at Starks Park. Although you can see trains from the Falkirk Stadium you would be further away from the track than you would be from Tynecastle or Hampden Park.

Have a look at some of the non league sides in and around Edinburgh, its a busy part of Scotland for trains.

We actually counted the carriages on a train passing as the game was so bad.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The railway line runs very close at Stranraer doesn't it?

It goes round behind the main stand.

Forgot about that, not sure if you could see it for the trees though. Nice ground set within a public park and has trees within the boundaries. Looks like it always takes a bit longer than normal to retrieve the ball from the undergrowth and the trees behind that goal. I think its changed behind the goal now, can't remember what from watching last season's cup match with Celtic. Nice view from the top of the Main Stand on a clear day you can see the Loch in the distance.

Stair Park, Stranraer.jpg

Stranraer v Raith Rovers 09 Sept 06 (1).jpg

Stranraer v Raith Rovers 09 Sept 06 (2).jpg

Edited by CityDave

7 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

It's listed as one of the few examples of brutalist architecture.

Apt name.

In one of the grounds guides I used to have it was described as like something built in Eastern Europe during the years of the Soviet Union.

Edit: a bit like Glenrothes shopping centre

Edited by CityDave

Decided to look up some Junior club photos online after reading this thread, these are the grounds used in Perthshire that haven't already been mentioned (Excluding Jeanfields which is fairly modern) 

kinnoull1.jpg 

Kinnoull Junors Ground, Nothing but a dilapidated fence to seperate the spectators from the pitch. 

Brownlands%20Park%20(Luncarty)3.JPG

Luncarty Juniors, with the railway running alongside the pitch. 

Scone1a.jpg

Scone Thistle, which is situated next to the school and you can view perfectly from one of the houses opposite.

Something utterly brilliant about the fact Scone Thistles is a public park you can access VIA the school grounds. 

34 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Decided to look up some Junior club photos online after reading this thread, these are the grounds used in Perthshire that haven't already been mentioned (Excluding Jeanfields which is fairly modern) 

kinnoull1.jpg 

Kinnoull Junors Ground, Nothing but a dilapidated fence to seperate the spectators from the pitch. 

Kinnoull dilapidated fence!!

DSC00172.JPG

dilapidated fence, how about Arniston Rangers and their rope??

DSC00064.JPG

it is a steel rope though

DSC00063.JPG

Edited by CityDave

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The roof on that stand at Gala is crazy. Looks like there's no way it should be balanced like that. 

Originally there was an open gap between the seats decking and the roof, too, except for the 4 supporting blocks. Seen photos and it made it look even more "gravity-defying".

I actually really like it and compared to a lot of concrete erections it's not weathered too badly or crumbled. It's far more striking from behind:

scotland-netherdale-galashiels-gala-fair

44760.1.434.434.FFFFFF.jpeg24488_scale.jpg

44759_scale.jpg            24487.1.434.434.FFFFFF.jpeg