Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

27 minutes ago, Torpar said:

This has been a pretty good thread but the arguing back and forth about wither or not the away end at Celtic Park is awful is getting boring. I don’t think it can be argued that it’s not a great view from that area of the ground but the ground is pretty much identical in the South West corner, I’ve sat there for a couple of European games with a mate, the view wasn’t great either so home fans do experience it. Also why do fans take other fans complaining about the view/price of tickets so personally? The board/higher ups decide these things, not the fans. I’m not sure but I think Dunfermline are charging away fans for “big’ games more this season, I agree this is shite but it’s not like I can change it so why defend it so vigorously.

Back to the point of the thread, not necessarily a  quirk as such, but how many grounds in Scotland back onto or are very close to cemeteries? Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few

You think wrong. In fact Dunfermline are one of the few in our league who don't do that as far as I know. Raith and Dumbarton certainly do anyway. 

As for the main thread, one of the worst things about the all seated rule has been that a lot of those quirks (the Broomfield Pavilion, the window at Brockville, the bench seating et al) have been lost forever. Even some of the old stands are no more.

Daviebhoy take it the picture with the bricks is the main entrance? What year??

Yes mate. The front was built to celebrate the centenary season so I'm assuming it was done in the 86/87 season. I remember it was actually in place for the centenary season and was the front picture on the programmes that season.

You are determined to derail this thread aren't you?

You are the one who can't accept my opinion and continue to argue the toss with me about it so it's not me derailing it. Might want to look in the mirror there.

Are you talking about a handful of Celtic fans or every Celtic supporter has sat in that away section? So if a few Celtic fans including yourself have restricted viewing then you should be sympathetic to away fans that come to Celtic Park and can't see the whole pitch, but then also you had the choice to move seats. We are held in a small narrow area and we can't all sit in the same seat. I'm struggling to see why you are going on and on about this.

Thousands of Celtic fans have experienced this. I'll give you the clue again....the Celtic fans in the other corner adjacent to the main stand face the same thing every game too. I disagree that fans can't move, I've seen loads of away supports visit Celtic park and they could all comfortably move to seats that offer an unrestricted view in their area. I'm not buying it that the stewards prevent anyone from moving.

Which grounds in the Premiership are you talking about and who are you talking about?. And how do you know which fans sit in stands with what you regard as restrictive viewing who also visit Celtic Park and then complain about it? You can't mean Random Guy and myself, surely not??

I'm speaking in general. Aberdeen only has one stand that doesn't have some sort of restricted view, Tynecastle has it in the main stand. In fact I've already listed the stadiums that have the restricted views be it home or away fans stuck behind it. Restricted viewing is not something that is exclusive to Celtic Park.

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Thousands of Celtic fans have experienced this. I'll give you the clue again....the Celtic fans in the other corner adjacent to the main stand face the same thing every game too. I disagree that fans can't move, I've seen loads of away supports visit Celtic park and they could all comfortably move to seats that offer an unrestricted view in their area. I'm not buying it that the stewards prevent anyone from moving

Any photos of the view from "the other corner adjacent"?

24 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I have East End Park, Easter Road and Pittodrie

Surely there might be more, especially besides these older grounds in the small towns that have non league teams.

59 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Back to the point of the thread, not necessarily a  quirk as such, but how many grounds in Scotland back onto or are very close to cemeteries? Off the top of my head I can think of quite a few

Quite a natural thing, if you think of it - cheap and plentiful land on the edge (as it was then) of cities and towns was attractive to cemetery developers and sports teams.

Hibs - opposite side of the street behind the Famous Five stand is the Eastern Cemetery, Drum Terrace.

Aberdeen - backs onto the Trinity Cemetery.

Celtic - backs onto the Eastern Necropolis.

Brechin - has a Cemetery End, IIRC, so presumably backs onto one.

Must be more, too.

Mcdiarmid is less than a mile from a crematorium and cemetery. Our "new" training area is just the other side of a hedge from it

Quite a natural thing, if you think of it - cheap and plentiful land on the edge (as it was then) of cities and towns was attractive to cemetery developers and sports teams.

Hibs - opposite side of the street behind the Famous Five stand is the Eastern Cemetery, Drum Terrace.

Aberdeen - backs onto the Trinity Cemetery.

Celtic - backs onto the Eastern Necropolis.

Brechin - has a Cemetery End, IIRC, so presumably backs onto one.

Must be more, too.

Not quite adjacent

IMG_1472587943.661167.jpg.2051d76e9b5055

Using GoogleMaps to check for cemeteries near to football grounds. There's something I never thought I'd spent 15mins doing...

Without having checked some of the newbuilds it appears Aberdeen, Brechin, Celtic, Dunfermline and Hibs are the only SPFL grounds with cemeteries/churchyards directly beside or very nearby.

As topcat indicates the next nearest looks to be Hearts - couple of hundred yards from Dalry Cemetery and a bit nearer to North Merchiston (New Dalry) Cemetery which is the patch of trees at the middle bottom of his photo - and also Peterhead, which is about the same distance away from Balmoor Cemetery to the west and what seems like a churchyard to the south-east.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Using GoogleMaps to check for cemeteries near to football grounds. There's something I never thought I'd spent 15mins doing...

Without having checked some of the newbuilds it appears Aberdeen, Brechin, Celtic, Dunfermline and Hibs are the only SPFL grounds with cemeteries/churchyards directly beside or very nearby.

As topcat indicates the next nearest looks to be Hearts - couple of hundred yards from Dalry Cemetery and a bit nearer to North Merchiston (New Dalry) Cemetery which is the patch of trees at the middle bottom of his photo - and also Peterhead, which is about the same distance away from Balmoor Cemetery to the west and what seems like a churchyard to the south-east.

Tynecastle does now have a "garden of rememberance" inside it though

Another view, Harlow Park home of Inverurie Locos. This could arguably (disregard those tanks behind the goal on the other side of the wall) be a decent view towards the countryside from 9 years ago from a football ground with a bit of a vantage point. That hill in the distance now is covered in new houses.

Inverurie Locos v Buckie Thistle (6), 28th Apr 07.jpg

I've only been once but I like this, a much better attempt at a modern stadium. I think grounds need to have stands that are different from each other to have a bit of personality, but this works.

DSC00148.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

Edited by CityDave

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

McDiarmid park has a cemetery/ crematorium at the back of the north stand. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I disagree that fans can't move, I've seen loads of away supports visit Celtic park and they could all comfortably move to seats that offer an unrestricted view in their area. I'm not buying it that the s stewards prevent anyone from moving.

OK, buy an away end ticket; sit in a seat with a restricted view (and again, not just a pillar like at the othet grounds you mention but a wall where you can't see a significant part of the pitch) then try and move. Come back to us when you've tried.

The walk through the cemetery to East End Park was my favoured route when I used to get the bus into town. It took you to the away end but I always enjoyed that walk rather than getting the bus in further and walking along Piggie's Lane.

Also on East End Park (after a fashion), before Cowdenbeath moved to Central Park they used to play at West End Park in Cowdenbeath, behind the library. West End Park of course is several miles East of East End Park and vice versa which despite them being in different towns amused me for the almost but not quite symmetry.