Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It happens occasionally.

Presumably seagulls sometimes, but perhaps flocks of migratory birds coming down the east coast or Tweed valley spot it and rest overnight? Guessing.

Strange just in the 1 half though. 

Another special mention to Shielfield for a cracking fish supper in the ground.  Any other grounds offer such fare? 

Strange just in the 1 half though. 

Another special mention to Shielfield for a cracking fish supper in the ground.  Any other grounds offer such fare? 

Wembley does but its bloody expensive.

Ibrox had restricted views for away fans? Where?

Tynecastle does, Pittodrie does because of the segregation fence, Tannadice doesn't, Dens doesn't, Hibs/Killie/Hamilton doesn't, never been to Thistle, Caley doesn't

Surely it's only Aberdeen/Celtic and Hearts that do in the Prem?

Part of the issue with away seating at Celtic Park, at least in recent years, is that a lot of the rest of the stadium has been empty for standard league matches. They even closed the top part of the Lisbon Lions stand (I think - could be the opposite one) and covered it with a banner, but still insisted on placing the away fans in the worst part of the stadium.

There must be lots of people who just won't go to Parkhead because the view doesn't justify the price.

If we are going including non league football in this then Maryhill FC has uncovered seating and Newburgh has big fir trees growing within the ground, one really big one right on the terracing. Burghead Thistle have their ground situated in the middle of a pine wood. Plenty of hedges to match the one at Glebe Park and how about this stand at Lochee Utd for originality?.

Lochee Utd v Bathgate Th 27th Sept 08 (1).jpg

Lochee United's banking is a great view. Bit dangerous when wet though! Seen many people falling down when drunk

Local junior team would be Violet but they're shite, second closest Lochee, think I'm away to make a wee visit to the cup game against Downfield on Saturday...

Actually looking forward to a visit after seeing these photos, never seen the ground before. Mon the Lochee.

You will enjoy it lichtie. Decent catering and good committee. Try the home made soup. Top notch!

6 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Lochee United's banking is a great view. Bit dangerous when wet though! Seen many people falling down when drunk

We were lucky that day for the Scottish Cup (Seniors) debut for both Lochee Utd and Bathgate Th, had the game kicked off at 3 we probably would have experienced that. I remember the weather closing in in the last few minutes of the game and the walk back to the city center the light drizzle went to downpour after about 10 minutes and a bus had to be caught.

6 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Quirks at Station Park has to be when the mert is on.  Coos mooing away and the smell of bovine keich.

I love the Hedge side at Glebe Park.  Is there a more intimidating section for a linesman?  With no segregation and the officials being about two feet lower and in touching distance of both fans, there is no getting away from the abuse of any dubious decision.

Gayfield just for the chance of getting hit by a rogue North Sea wave.

Dens for the bizarre v-shaped main stand.

Special mention to Shielfield....did I miss a feather-pillow fight pre-match last week?  One half of the pitch looked like a flock of gulls had been denuded.

Station Park for the stand the lights around the ground and that cracking high steep terracing behind the goal. Its also the only place I've seen a football manager lighting up a cigarette on the touchline (Mr Campbell).

8 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Ibrox, Tynecastle, Victoria Park, Dens Park, Pittodrie, Fir Park, Rugby Park & Firhill 

Just going from personal experience.

Ibrox has none, you sit in the corner and see the whole pitch. Tynecastle has none, sit behind the goal and see the whole pitch. Victoria Park, placed behind the goal and see the whole pitch. Dens, put behind goals and see the whole pitch. Pittodrie, a wee mesh fence but you can still see the whole pitch. Fir Park, behind the goal can see the whole pitch. Rugby Park and Firhill, posts which cut out 1/15th of the pitch. 

Celtic Park has a concrete wall that cuts out a chunk of the pitch, including one of the goals. I paid £26 to watch the game on the large screen in the stadium. Value for money wise, its a terrible stadium.

49 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Station Park for the stand the lights around the ground and that cracking high steep terracing behind the goal. Its also the only place I've seen a football manager lighting up a cigarette on the touchline (Mr Campbell).

Mr Campbell with fag from a cracking day for Forfar back in 2010 - https://davidyoungphoto.wordpress.com/2010/05/16

forfar_arbroath_blog_dy4107.jpg

Edited by davidy233

1 minute ago, davidy233 said:

Mr Campbell with fag

forfar_arbroath_blog_dy4107.jpg

I've seen him leaning out a window at Stair Park having a smoke a few years back when Brechin manager. I would guess that he probably has had to give up smoking these days since his poor health a couple of years back.

Its a rarity to see cigarettes anywhere near the professional game, I don't know of any footballers nowadays who smoke. I think the last one I remember might have been Jose Quitongo. I'm sure I heard someone mention him.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just going from personal experience.

Ibrox has none, you sit in the corner and see the whole pitch. Tynecastle has none, sit behind the goal and see the whole pitch. Victoria Park, placed behind the goal and see the whole pitch. Dens, put behind goals and see the whole pitch. Pittodrie, a wee mesh fence but you can still see the whole pitch. Fir Park, behind the goal can see the whole pitch. Rugby Park and Firhill, posts which cut out 1/15th of the pitch. 

Celtic Park has a concrete wall that cuts out a chunk of the pitch, including one of the goals. I paid £26 to watch the game on the large screen in the stadium. Value for money wise, its a terrible stadium.

Its not just the concrete wall but its the position of the seats, facing the goal and touchline for some reason instead of facing the pitch, so you end up having to twist your body just to face the play. I agree with you on the away ends of all you mention, I have sat or stood in all of them and they are not a problem. Dens if there are very few of us, they tend to put you in the Main Stand far side near where the players come out onto the pitch. This is not perfect but its still better than Celtic Park.

There really isn't an argument there from objecting Celtic fans, we experience it, they don't.

Cove's old ground used to have an indoor bowling lawn.

Does Meadowbank still have a long jump pit in the concourse?

They used to have karate lessons on every time I went there that you could see from the stand.

9 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Quirks at Station Park has to be when the mert is on.  Coos mooing away and the smell of bovine keich.

I love the Hedge side at Glebe Park.  Is there a more intimidating section for a linesman?  With no segregation and the officials being about two feet lower and in touching distance of both fans, there is no getting away from the abuse of any dubious decision.

I knew Brechin crowds were small, but...