Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

I don't remember seeing it on this thread, but apologies if it has already been mentioned.. Is New Douglas Park the only ground to have a toy castle built at the back of a stand/ camera gantry?  What is its purpose??

image.jpeg

Is the area behind not some kind of nursery/kids play area? I'd imagine it's simply to cover up the scaffolding and make it look more friendly.

Talking about old fashioned ways, can anyone remember when different grounds stopped announcing the half times in code? I think I remember being at a game in maybe the late 80s at Fir Park (might have been Tannadice though - I can remember a yellowy orange colour in my head somewhere) that still did the old "A: 1-0, B: 1-1, C: 0-0, D: 0-1" etc and me having to ask my old man what that was all about. The other grounds I'd been to at that point I'm sure had just given the scores out in plain speech.

35 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Talking about old fashioned ways, can anyone remember when different grounds stopped announcing the half times in code? I think I remember being at a game in maybe the late 80s at Fir Park (might have been Tannadice though - I can remember a yellowy orange colour in my head somewhere) that still did the old "A: 1-0, B: 1-1, C: 0-0, D: 0-1" etc and me having to ask my old man what that was all about. The other grounds I'd been to at that point I'm sure had just given the scores out in plain speech.

At Bayview they didn't even read the half-time scores out, a wee laddie got sent out with the numbers. You needed a programme to find out. Speaking to a director recently, he recalled the first time he got that job as a wee boy. Instead of putting the corresponding scores horizontally, he put them vertically. Much confusion followed...

1979-80 Half-Time Scoreboard.jpg

Edited by Angusfifer

52 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Good one.

It was done as an incentive to buy a programme, because on the back page, you'd get a grid with each letter corresponding to a fixture.  I'm not sure when it died out, but I remember it still being on the go at the start of the 86/87 season, because the Airdrie subs ran over to us in the cowshed to check the Rangers score.

Palmerston also had the old scoreboard with letters, at the back of the Terregles Street end.  I remember the board being there, but I don't think I ever saw it being put to use.  I wasn't a regular for several more years, but my first games were in the mid 70s, so  I think it had probably fallen into disuse by then.

At Easter Road and Tynecastle the scoreboards were effectively huts perched above the terracing and the numbers were put up from inside. At Ibrox the scoreboards were on the boundary wall behind each goal and a wee man came along with a barrow full of numbers.

The day Partick Thistle beat Celtic in 1971 to win the league cup, the half time scoreboard at Ibrox read 4-0 Thistle and everybody assumed the guy was taking the piss and it was really 4-0 Celtic, till some people with radios confirmed the score.

42 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

At Easter Road and Tynecastle the scoreboards were effectively huts perched above the terracing and the numbers were put up from inside. At Ibrox the scoreboards were on the boundary wall behind each goal and a wee man came along with a barrow full of numbers.

The day Partick Thistle beat Celtic in 1971 to win the league cup, the half time scoreboard at Ibrox read 4-0 Thistle and everybody assumed the guy was taking the piss and it was really 4-0 Celtic, till some people with radios confirmed the score.

I remember the scoreboard at Easter Road showing Aberdeen 3-0 down to Brechin in a League Cup tie. Everybody was really excited for about five minutes until the Tannoy announced that they'd got it the wrong way round.

Regarding the Partick-Celtic game, didn't a lot of Rangers supporters leave Ibrox and get taxis to Hampden to watch the end of that game?

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Regarding the Partick-Celtic game, didn't a lot of Rangers supporters leave Ibrox and get taxis to Hampden to watch the end of that game?

Yes indeedy, or so legend has it. The 45th anniversary of that will be this weekend, October 23.

If memory serves, Rangers were drawing 0-0 to Motherwell that day and went on to win 4-0. I got home that night and my mum broke the news to me that somebody had set fire to my Raleigh RSW MKii bike :(

15 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Who sets fire to a bike?

Desperate to find the answer to that myself :lol:

Aye I realised it sounded a bit weird as I was typing it. I lived in a block of flats where everybody got a sort of cage to keep lawnmowers & stuff instead of carting it upstairs, so technically it was the cage that got set alight I suppose... anyway it was one of those bikes with small wheels and the back tyre got the brunt of it.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Desperate to find the answer to that myself :lol:

Aye I realised it sounded a bit weird as I was typing it. I lived in a block of flats where everybody got a sort of cage to keep lawnmowers & stuff instead of carting it upstairs, so technically it was the cage that got set alight I suppose... anyway it was one of those bikes with small wheels and the back tyre got the brunt of it.

They're called "stabilisers".

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm pretty sure they still did that at Cliftonhill until around the mid 90s.