Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

c29c19add0643e7a17763d5b3c78eea7.jpg

When Murton Park was built it was on the outskirts of town too. This is the pic of the Muirton housing estate being built on the far side of it, away from the town.  Looks like history is repeating itself with McDiarmid.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It's funny you mention that, because the last few times I've been passing McDiarmid I've been thinking how it's getting swallowed up by the development going on around it. It's certainly lost the feeling of being surrounded by fields and trees and being out on the edge of the glorious Perthshire countryside.

When the new development of 3000 houses or whatever on the opposite side of the bypass is finished, that's going to be completely the case.

So you've now got an out of town ground which isn't really out of town, but is also nowhere near anything useful like bus or train stations, nor pubs, cafes or restaurants.

Heed the warning Dons and Dee.

I’d agree but what I do like about the new layout is the new road that comes off the A9 and goes round the back of the ground. Been up with the drone to get some video but it started raining. It’s a part of the ground that not many have seen from that perspective.

I stay 2 minutes from the old Muirton, round the corner from Bannerman’s and Chas Stewart’s place and have watched the Muirton area being redeveloped over the last ten years. I moved there 11 years ago to work at St.C’s and then moved into the fairly new North Inch Community Campus. I watched the demolition of the old tenements, which to be honest were fucking stinking and needed to be torn down. I like the new flats they’ve built next to McDonald’s too but WTF have they done to the Muirton shops. They’ve redeveloped the whole area and left those stinking flats untouched above the shops.

Not being from Perth, my only memory was as a youngster going to a game with my Dad at the old ground. Wasn’t it the biggest pitch in the UK at the time?

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It's funny you mention that, because the last few times I've been passing McDiarmid I've been thinking how it's getting swallowed up by the development going on around it. It's certainly lost the feeling of being surrounded by fields and trees and being out on the edge of the glorious Perthshire countryside.

When the new development of 3000 houses or whatever on the opposite side of the bypass is finished, that's going to be completely the case.

Couldn't they sell the land for housing and build a new ground on the outskirts of town?

30 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

c29c19add0643e7a17763d5b3c78eea7.jpg

When Murton Park was built it was on the outskirts of town too. This is the pic of the Muirton housing estate being built on the far side of it, away from the town.  Looks like history is repeating itself with McDiarmid.

Mad when you think of what’s there now. That’s a great photo. Updated it to show the difference.

88BD2FB2-8E22-4E0F-8736-AB6D60D9C9C3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I think some of these might have already been posted but here's a model of the old Easter Road. Look at how many steps you had too climb to get onto that terrace!

4519556177.jpg

4511763338.jpg

This has popped up before. Never tire of seeing it. Imagine walking up those steps and being the last into a big game and hearing the noise. Must’ve been fucking mental. All in flat caps and tweeds. Isn’t there a similar one for Dens?

55 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

So you've now got an out of town ground which isn't really out of town, but is also nowhere near anything useful like bus or train stations, nor pubs, cafes or restaurants.

Heed the warning Dons and Dee.

That's prompted the thought:  which ground in Scotland is closest to the town/city centre?

Lots have obviously moved which will have altered things. It's also a bit different in Glasgow and Edinburgh I suppose where the grounds are in particular areas.

I was just wondering though.  The best example I can think of is Newcastle, but obviously enough, that's not in Scotland.  What would be the best example here?

That's prompted the thought:  which ground in Scotland is closest to the town/city centre?
Lots have obviously moved which will have altered things. It's also a bit different in Glasgow and Edinburgh I suppose where the grounds are in particular areas.
I was just wondering though.  The best example I can think of is Newcastle, but obviously enough, that's not in Scotland.  What would be the best example here?
Cowdenbeath? Right off the High Street (what's left of it) and 100 yards from the train station. Pubs 2 and shops 2 mins walk one way, houses 3 or 4 minutes the other.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Broomfield must have been one of the closest to a town centre.  Of the existing ones, probably Ross County.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:
4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Cowdenbeath? Right off the High Street (what's left of it) and 100 yards from the train station. Pubs 2 and shops 2 mins walk one way, houses 3 or 4 minutes the other.

Sounds like a good shout.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Good question. To be fair the actual centre of a town or city would need to be established. I’m not sure on this but I think whenever you see a sign saying Glasgow, the distance is measured from George Square and likewise for everywhere else. In Glasgow’s case would that make Celtic or Thistle’s ground the closest? You’d also have to go as the crow flies. So an established centre and a crow fly distance would be a good rule. It’s actually quite a challenging question and one I’d like to see the answer too.

Are we talking senior league teams only?

1 hour ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

but WTF have they done to the Muirton shops. They’ve redeveloped the whole area and left those stinking flats untouched above the shops.

They wanted to knock it all down but the shop owners didn't want to be displaced for 18 months. So renovating the shops and leaving the building as was was the only option available. 

56 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

This has popped up before. Never tire of seeing it. Imagine walking up those steps and being the last into a big game and hearing the noise. Must’ve been fucking mental. All in flat caps and tweeds. Isn’t there a similar one for Dens?

You didn’t need to go that far back to have seen 40,000 in Easter Rd.

Flat caps and tweeds ffs!!!

13 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Good question. To be fair the actual centre of a town or city would need to be established. I’m not sure on this but I think whenever you see a sign saying Glasgow, the distance is measured from George Square and likewise for everywhere else. In Glasgow’s case would that make Celtic or Thistle’s ground the closest? You’d also have to go as the crow flies. So an established centre and a crow fly distance would be a good rule. It’s actually quite a challenging question and one I’d like to see the answer too.

Are we talking senior league teams only?

There’s nothing in Glasgow Senior or otherwise that was remotely close to George Square. Btw, Celtic Park main door is three miles from GS.