Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

I am quite sure it is.     The flats are behind the main stand, not the main terracing (Cow Shed IIRC) 

The're the turnstiles behind the wee Dublin end. Cowshed is the roof nearest in the pic main stand and flats behind it more in the distance.

The last time Cowden played there we went in those turnstiles and had to walk round the back of the wee Dublin end to get into the main stand.

Edited by cowdenbeath

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

The're the turnstiles behind the wee Dublin end. Cowshed is the roof nearest in the pic main stand and flats behind it more in the distance.

The last time Cowden played there we went in those turnstiles and had to walk round the back of the wee Dublin end to get into the main stand.

I've been to Cappielow loads of times over the years and I always thought the terracing behind the goals  to the right of the main stand was the Wee Dublin End, due to it being a lot smaller.   

Why is it called 'Wee" Dublin End?

On 21/10/2018 at 19:41, kingjoey said:

That is an incredible old stand at Celtic Park. My first visit was in November 1970 (1.0 Aberdeen) and I was in the Main Stand surrounded by an incredible amount of priests, which has stuck in my memory.  It was definitely the present day structure by then.

I'm not so sure you've got your dates right. I was at our Drybrough Cup tie at Celtic Park on 31 July 1971, and my recollection is that the new main stand was not quite completed? I also remember Celtic playing their European Cup Quarter Final with Ajax at Hampden in 1971, which might have been because the new stand was under construction.

16 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I've been to Cappielow loads of times over the years and I always thought the terracing behind the goals  to the right of the main stand was the Wee Dublin End, due to it being a lot smaller.   

Why is it called 'Wee" Dublin End?

There was a settlement of Irish immigrants living there in the 19th century, so the “Wee” refers to it being a “mini Dublin” rather than a smaller end than the Sinclair Street end.

11 hours ago, Toby said:

There was a settlement of Irish immigrants living there in the 19th century, so the “Wee” refers to it being a “mini Dublin” rather than a smaller end than the Sinclair Street end.

what on the terracing? strange choice but i guess it was a different era.

13 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

I'm not so sure you've got your dates right. I was at our Drybrough Cup tie at Celtic Park on 31 July 1971, and my recollection is that the new main stand was not quite completed? I also remember Celtic playing their European Cup Quarter Final with Ajax at Hampden in 1971, which might have been because the new stand was under construction.

I’ve checked back and my first visit, when I was in the Main Stand, was 12 December 1970. I’m almost certain that it wasn’t that structure in the previous photo, but may be wrong. Any older Celtic fans around my age know for sure when the existing stand was built?

I’ve checked back and my first visit, when I was in the Main Stand, was 12 December 1970. I’m almost certain that it wasn’t that structure in the previous photo, but may be wrong. Any older Celtic fans around my age know for sure when the existing stand was built?

1971.... but it was only a new roof over the existing seats plus seats installed at the frontIMG_0384.jpg

Football grounds as they should be.  One stand for the posh folk, the rest terracing (open or covered, take your pick). Freedom to change ends at half time. And half time scoreboards that forced you to buy a programme to decipher, or else crowd round the one guy who had a radio. Sod your sitting in the stand getting regular score updates on your phone.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Football grounds as they should be.  One stand for the posh folk, the rest terracing (open or covered, take your pick). Freedom to change ends at half time. And half time scoreboards that forced you to buy a programme to decipher, or else crowd round the one guy who had a radio. Sod your sitting in the stand getting regular score updates on your phone.

Scoreboard, how very modern.