Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

30 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
57 minutes ago, Aim Here said:
Far too close and low for Arthur's seat. If that's Calton Hill in the foreground, my guess is that it's the roof of that office building where they used to make Grand Theft Auto.

as saod i was very young last time i was up there so sure you are right. wasnt GTA mostly made in dundee?

It was, then DMA was bought up and became Rockstar North and has since moved around various sites in Edinburgh - they were near the top of Leith Walk until a couple years back and are now neighbours with the Scottish Parliament.

It was, then DMA was bought up and became Rockstar North and has since moved around various sites in Edinburgh - they were near the top of Leith Walk until a couple years back and are now neighbours with the Scottish Parliament.
again i may be wrong but was the boy that launched rockstar games an abertay student? i would probably be better googling it!

3 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

again i may be wrong but was the boy that launched rockstar games an abertay student? i would probably be better googling it!

I suspect that David Jones, who created DMA, predates Abertay's days as a video game trade school (he was the guy behind the venerable Lemmings, remember) and the Houser Brothers are Americans and unlikely to have come over to study in the likes of Abertay.

Maybe Jones studied something at Abertay that wasn't video games, though.

Edited by Aim Here

I suspect that David Jones, who created DMA, predates Abertay's days as a video game trade school (he was the guy behind the venerable Lemmings, remember) and the Houser Brothers are Americans and unlikely to have come over to study in the likes of Abertay...
not sure where i got that from then. thanks for the information though bud

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

One of the cranes at the St James centre?

Close, it was actually on the roof! When they started dismantling it in 2014 my mate got access to the roof for a photo job he was doing and took me along. All the electrics were stripped out so we had to walk up 6 flights. He was dripping with sweat, the amount of gear he was carrying, including 3 Canon bodies. It was a huge area, sort of triangular, you could look right down Leith Walk from one side. 

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:
2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

That one was taken from the Radical Road. Any guesses where I took this one from (not Calton Hill before anybody says emoji6.png):

is that from arthurs seat? last time i was up tgere i was a child so memory is hazy

No, but the floodlit one from the Radical Road is pretty much the view you would get from Arthur’s Seat. It was actually a game against St. Johnstone in September 2011.

I've been to Cappielow loads of times over the years and I always thought the terracing behind the goals  to the right of the main stand was the Wee Dublin End, due to it being a lot smaller.   
Why is it called 'Wee" Dublin End?

In the late 1800’s / early 1900’s the area behind the ground apparently had houses populated by Irish immigrants.

5bdb80fe4d5ef_wilsonandglenny.jpg.af79b7beb8b8dadd0bad690ae2eba84a.jpg

In 1959 the Wilson and Glenny Mill in Hawick was destroyed by fire. Some metalwork was salvaged and went into building

hra9.thumb.jpg.5f5c8700d5be9ada6606a5327def7f76.jpg

the main stand at Albert Park, home of Hawick Royal Albert. There is a bar in the back of the stand which means you can have a pint and watch the game...

On 31/10/2018 at 04:28, paulbrucerick said:

The scoreboard at Somerset got lowered at half time, numbers inserted, and then hoisted back up. You can see it in this picture. Which I think is from the record attendance game versus Rangers, 25,000+.

Tannadice was the same but the scoreboard was on one of the floodlight pylons (the white rectangle near the bottom of the floodlight on the right). Bloke had to walk through the terracing at half time carrying the numbers on metal plates to get to the bottom of the pylon. 

tannadice-park-home-of-dundee-united-pic

Not managed to find a better quality version of it yet, but Rugby Park's old half-time scoreboard had the very dapper striding man from Johnnie Walker beside it. I don't know when it was dismantled but I don't think it was there around the time the terracing was demolished and the new stands were built.

htboard.jpg

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

5bdb80fe4d5ef_wilsonandglenny.jpg.af79b7beb8b8dadd0bad690ae2eba84a.jpg

In 1959 the Wilson and Glenny Mill in Hawick was destroyed by fire. Some metalwork was salvaged and went into building

hra9.thumb.jpg.5f5c8700d5be9ada6606a5327def7f76.jpg

the main stand at Albert Park, home of Hawick Royal Albert. There is a bar in the back of the stand which means you can have a pint and watch the game...

I've been in there before.  Catch is that you need to watch the game through mesh, but the locals weren't bothered as most seemed to be watching the 6 Nations on the TV in there.

#borderers  

Tannadice was the same but the scoreboard was on one of the floodlight pylons (the white rectangle near the bottom of the floodlight on the right). Bloke had to walk through the terracing at half time carrying the numbers on metal plates to get to the bottom of the pylon. 
tannadice-park-home-of-dundee-united-picture-id650079626&key=800353fa54657832cb027063bac403cc71917d0448ff975ed30c7b23b8af7543
My favourite thing about Tannadice was the odd white corner wall things. The east one is still there but it's buried under adverts and looks forlorn in front of abandoned terracing.

20 minutes ago, GordonS said:
18 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:
tannadice-park-home-of-dundee-united-picture-id650079626&key=800353fa54657832cb027063bac403cc71917d0448ff975ed30c7b23b8af7543

My favourite thing about Tannadice was the odd white corner wall things. The east one is still there but it's buried under adverts and looks forlorn in front of abandoned terracing.

West Shirley?

18 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

tannadice-park-home-of-dundee-united-pic

Ha ha. There’s an element of tinpottery to that but I’m inclined to let them off as it was from back in the day. Imagine a game such as Hibs 5 Rangers 5 using that scoreboard and the scoreboard not being able to keep up. Ha ha ha.