Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

41 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:
On 17/02/2020 at 15:08, Pet Jeden said:
No. Just as per Canada. No “dynamic alignment” or fishing grounds control or EU court supremacy asked of them.

I'm amazed the EU didn't push for a fishing grounds agreement with Canada...... amazed.

Maybe Canadian fisherman aren't utter c**ts unlike our fisherman.

20 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Thought it was quite clear, I’ll try it again using different language.

Johnson has won a handsome majority in the HoC and is imposing a fairly tight grip on the Tory Parliamentary Party.  His position on Brexit is to try to bulldoze through his position, this won’t work as the EU27 will not simply roll over.

If (when) the consequences are something akin to No Deal come the end of 2020 the worst effects of such a policy will soon become apparent in terms of border hold ups and various industries suffering because of a lack of migrant labour. 

At some point there will be a reaction within the Tory ranks.  Most of the past Tory dissenters are now gone but as problems grow hopefully some within the Tory ranks will begin to question the madness of Johnson’s Brexit strategy.

I agree that there will be a reaction.

There will probably a faction that thinks that retaining some links is a good idea and will question the madness, as you hope. 

I suspect that there will be a bigger faction that blames the eu, thinks that no deal isn't enough of a separation and wants to repatriate every Pole and Romanian. 

Although it is currently unthinkable that the latter faction could hold power, the unthinkable has happened quite a bit recently. 

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I agree that there will be a reaction.

There will probably a faction that thinks that retaining some links is a good idea and will question the madness, as you hope. 

I suspect that there will be a bigger faction that blames the eu, thinks that no deal isn't enough of a separation and wants to repatriate every Pole and Romanian. 

Although it is currently unthinkable that the latter faction could hold power, the unthinkable has happened quite a bit recently. 

Yeah the prospect of politics in the U.K. moving even further to the right is a genuine worry.

If there’s any hope it lies in enough Tory voters and Tory business supporters realising that economic decimation is not a price worth paying for xenophobic ideology.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah the prospect of politics in the U.K. moving even further to the right is a genuine worry.

If there’s any hope it lies in enough Tory voters and Tory business supporters realising that economic decimation is not a price worth paying for xenophobic ideology.

Agreed but i don't have much optimism

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Agreed but i don't have much optimism

You’re lack of optimism is understandable.  I take some comfort from the inherent self-interest of the average Tory.

For example I can see farmers throughout the U.K. becoming very vocal when their livelihoods are threatened by the new points based immigration policy.

Interesting letter in Saturday’s Courier from the Horticultural Chair of the NFU Scotland with the headline ‘Immigration Move Will Devastate UK Farming’ making this very point.

You’re lack of optimism is understandable.  I take some comfort from the inherent self-interest of the average Tory.
For example I can see farmers throughout the U.K. becoming very vocal when their livelihoods are threatened by the new points based immigration policy.
Interesting letter in Saturday’s Courier from the Horticultural Chair of the NFU Scotland with the headline ‘Immigration Move Will Devastate UK Farming’ making this very point.

f**k the farmers.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

He, and other spokespeople for his industry, should have been much more vocal in 2016. I would be amazed if there isn't some fudge to allow short-term contracts for Eastern Europeans during harvest times. They could be Gastarberrypickers.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There's nothing.....absolutely nothing.....happened in the last 3 months that suggests that this Tory government has any other policy other than xenophobic ideology. 

Johnson is betting the ranch on the EU blinking first on a trade deal, and he's well on the way to fulfilling every right-wing wet dream when it comes to domestic policy. Populist headlines are vital to Johnson maintaining an iron grip on power.....he needs to keep detail light, and ideology strong.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Truly, f**k the farmers. Especially the Scottish farmers. 

They've been vocally pro-Union and hostile to the SNP. They now may well find that they need SNP help in keeping themselves afloat now that they realise that being out of the EU isn't a guaranteed pot of gold. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There's nothing.....absolutely nothing.....happened in the last 3 months that suggests that this Tory government has any other policy other than xenophobic ideology. 

Johnson is betting the ranch on the EU blinking first on a trade deal, and he's well on the way to fulfilling every right-wing wet dream when it comes to domestic policy. Populist headlines are vital to Johnson maintaining an iron grip on power.....he needs to keep detail light, and ideology strong.

They've been vocally pro-Union and hostile to the SNP. They now may well find that they need SNP help in keeping themselves afloat now that they realise that being out of the EU isn't a guaranteed pot of gold. 

Betting the farm, surely.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Betting the farm, surely.

We've been bought out by the Yanks (or are about to be). farms are now ranches (although very small ones).

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

The EU want us to stick to state aid as they stand but also as they evolve.

Ever increasing neoliberalism. Absolutely f**k off. 

I suspect it is the "with reference to EU standards" that is the deal-buster. I think it means that where the EU's standards are higher than the UK's, they can dish out punishment beatings. But where the UK's standards are higher than the EU's, the UK just has to suck it up and accept the EU's competitive advantage (e.g. minimum wage levels in Slovakia, or Corporation tax rates in Ireland or transportation of live animals in France). If both entities want to be able to apply sanctions to imports (from anywhere in the world) which don't meet their requirements, then that would be fair enough.

5 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/payments-schemes/defra-confirms-reductions-in-support-for-farmers

Defra confirms reductions in support for farmers

Turkeys get their Christmas pressies.

“Money saved by reductions in direct payments will be reinvested directly into the farming and land management sector, it added”.

Do you actually bother to read these links that you post? Or do you just robotically obey early morning party memos to push the latest Brexit angst line onto all platforms where you squat?

47 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Do you think a landlord farmer gives one single f**k that they're going to invest in the sector and not pay him as much?

It's a better way of spending tbh but it's delicious that the dipshits who have rented out their land and kept the CAP money will suffer.

Probably at least as much as us hand-wringing, obese city dwellers who get twitchy if we are ever more than half a mile from the nearest coffee shop or nail bar or tanning salon. Anyway, I'm sure the farmers will quickly work out a way to become the beneficiaries of these alternative subsidies. And tenant farmers will be smart enough to negotiate for themselves a share of any available subsidies in return for set-aside (or whatever this latest incarnation is).

This. Doubtless they'll soon be going cap in hand to Holyrood looking for financial support. I hope they're told quite emphatically to f**k off.

40 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

This. Doubtless they'll soon be going cap in hand to Holyrood looking for financial support. I hope they're told quite emphatically to f**k off.

Tribalism at it's destructive worst. It would be a very bad thing for Scotland and for the UK if politicians took the spiteful, partisan approach that you recommend. Thankfully most politicians do recognise that, constitutionally, they are there to represent all of their their constituents, whether they belong to the same tribe, or not.