Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Reading that document it is the only option which makes sense,(other than just staying in the EU obviously), and yes, Norway now seem to be amenable to it.

Edited by Jedi

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The reaction has been mixed according to this. I was doubtful but at first glance it looks maybe the way to go.

https://labourlist.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Common-Market-2.0.pdf

Interesting. Maybe they had a rethink :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/07/norwegian-politicians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

it would kill off a 2nd Scottish Ref, as 'No' voters would largely be happy with that deal I reckon, and it makes it difficult to argue for Scottish Independence if the UK is still within an 'EU lite' arrangement.

... alternatively in the case of a hard Brexit and if an indy Scotland had any aspirations of joining the EU, there would need to be a 'Scottish backstop' debate which would see three apocalyptic mass extinctions before anything was agreed with the UK. 

Can't see how that could possibly work between Scotland and England without a new Hadrian's Wall (at least there's a sea between N. Ireland & England), which would obviously increase the number of No voters overnight. "Cowden fans will need to get passports for Berwick away" etc etc.

Any Indy campaign would probably need to offer another referendum on EU membership, or alternatively just go for an EFTA option straight off to keep the most people onside. Only way I can see a Scottish Ref being called is in the event of a hard Brexit now though. Any form of deal which is seen to keep the UK tied to the EU surely takes Indy off the table for the time being. Would also need to wait for another year or so following a hard Brexit (dont think there will be one), to call a vote anyway, to let things settle down a bit.

2 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

PM to make a statement from Downing St at 10pm.

Meh.  Mind that time last year that P&B went into over-drive over a planned announcement about Prince Philip and rather than being deid, he was simply retiring?  I'm expecting something like that.  I expect May's going vegan and like the rest of them, wants the whole world to know it.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Meh.  Mind that time last year that P&B went into over-drive over a planned announcement about Prince Philip and rather than being deid, he was simply retiring?  I'm expecting something like that.  I expect May's going vegan and like the rest of them, wants the whole world to know it.

Cabinet reshuffle with Boris appointed Minister for Women.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nothing has changed, I still intend to deliver on the will of the people.

Yawn. 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

The Norway option doesn't include the Customs Union though. They participate in the Single Market but not the CU. They are also of course in Schengen. In addition have to abide by many EU laws, though not fisheries and agriculture. Would need the agreement of Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland to join it. 

Someone could propose it as an option and it would probably command enough support in the Commons, but being in Schengen would cause uproar for Leavers. 

'If' and its a big 'if' we end up in EFTA, it would kill off a 2nd Scottish Ref, as 'No' voters would largely be happy with that deal I reckon, and it makes it difficult to argue for Scottish Independence if the UK is still within an 'EU lite' arrangement.

How the EU would agree to the UK remaining in the Customs Union without also signing up to abiding by EU laws not sure either.

Independence isn't about the EU. That was just one facet, and one barely talked about before other than the No wanks GUARANTEEING that the only way to stay in was to vote No.

Independence is about so much more than the EU. It's about getting away from the horrible shite that is Westminster and being able to run our own affairs rather than be fed the shitty scraps from the table and be told we should be happy. It's about being able to have a government who can dictate what money is spent on. It's about moving away from the cuntish politics of Westminster  It's about not being anchored to an increasingly bigoted narrative that seeks to scapegoat 'outsiders' for the ills the elitist government have created for their own profit. It's about not being chained to years more of austerity.

And so on.

12 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Nothing has changed, I still intend to deliver on the will of the people.

Yawn. 

She loves giving those sort of speeches. I think she genuinely believes she is some sort of grand statesman who delivers stirring and powerful speeches.

In reality she's a massive piece of shit doing everything she can to save herself and doesn't give a shite about anyone, and who gives appallingly dull and meaningless rambling monologues on par with the most boring of polytechnic lecturer.

c**t.