Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Interesting to think what the political landscape would be just now had Remain won....
Support for UKIP would probably have surged. Some Tory MPs would defected to UKIP, leaving David Cameron requiring a coalition (with the DUP?) and we'd be looking at a general election next year with the prospect of UKIP winning loads of seats.
Would have been entertaining.

But entirely democratic.

I don’t know at what point people making the argument that “Corbyn won’t play the game!” reifies Tory propaganda about how to conduct your politics in this country but it needs to be challenged as much as possible. All of the fault, literally all of the fault, for this mess resides with Theresa May and her authoritarian incompetence.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Has the Prime Minister ruled out No Deal?

How do you suggest she could do that, imagining for a second that she would want to? It would take agreeing a deal with Parliament and the EU before 29th March which she can't guarantee, or revoking A50, which Corbyn knows she won't do, nor wants her to. Gesture politics from the beardy man as ever.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What utter shit. 

It's been stopped because we have a PM who has ignored any possibility of a soft Brexit too busy trying to appease the ERG tail.

The ERG MPs are who I was referring to at the end of my post. 

Do you think that the majority of leave voters would support a no deal over the current May proposal.  I am not sure that would be the case and certainly wouldn't be in my case.

How do you suggest she could do that, imagining for a second that she would want to? It would take agreeing a deal with Parliament and the EU before 29th March which she can't guarantee, or revoking A50, which Corbyn knows she won't do, nor wants her to. Gesture politics from the beardy man as ever.

IMG_3235.jpg

Stephen Bush seems to believe that the member states would agree to an extension and agrees with me (we’re definitely mates btw) that she isn’t purely to threaten Remain MPs to back her deal.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

IMG_3235.jpg

Stephen Bush seems to believe that the member states would agree to an extension and agrees with me (we’re definitely mates btw) that she isn’t purely to threaten Remain MPs to back her deal.

Extending Article 50 would not guarantee avoiding a No Deal Brexit, it would merely postpone the possibility. If that's what Corbyn means he should say so.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Kicking it down the road for some indeterminate amount of time isn't going to provide the certainty that everyone says they are looking for.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 minutes ago, strichener said:
The ERG MPs are who I was referring to at the end of my post. 
Do you think that the majority of leave voters would support a no deal over the current May proposal.  I am not sure that would be the case and certainly wouldn't be in my case.

And what about soft Brexit?

It would depend on the terms obviously.  Since we haven't had the discussions then I am not sure what the EU would be willing to agree to.  Since I am happy to have trade agreements with the EU and also free movement then I am probably not representative of the majority of leave voters.

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Also the idea that the Labour front bench should trot into Downing Street on command is completely wrong. May has spent the past year making horrible comments about Corbyn and encouraging her MPs to heckle him every PMQs. She said this only five hours before extending her invite

It's easy to forget because of the constant smearing that Corbyn takes how insulting that statement this.

I agree, but, hard to believe, it's grown up politics now. We're a long way from the new convivial PMQs that Corbyn threatened to usher in. He just spouts "incompetent" and "failure" from the dispatch box these days, worn down from constant abuse I suppose. But basing policy on personal insults would be unforgivable.

Edited by welshbairn

Most of whom will be pootering about Ipswich in motability scooters looking for box sets of Dad's Army and Olde English Spangles.

17 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Aye, but it's only dem cheap labour foreigners that are being put out of work.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I agree, but, hard to believe, it's grown up politics now. We're a long way from the new convivial PMQs that Corbyn threatened to usher in. He just spouts "incompetent" and "failure" from the dispatch box these days, worn down from constant abuse I suppose. But basing policy on personal insults would be unforgivable.

As long as he doesn't say "stupid woman", he'll be fine...

It would depend on the terms obviously.  Since we haven't had the discussions then I am not sure what the EU would be willing to agree to.  Since I am happy to have trade agreements with the EU and also free movement then I am probably not representative of the majority of leave voters.

Which is the point I'm trying to make - a substantial number of Leave voters did so on the basis that we were going to get a Norway or Switzerland style deal.

Yet as soon as they got that group's votes the Hard Brexiters have completely ignored this group. I would suspect that this group combined with a sizeable chunk of the Remain vote would get a majority for a Soft Brexit ie the sane part of the Remain/Leave vote.

I don’t know at what point people making the argument that “Corbyn won’t play the game!” reifies Tory propaganda about how to conduct your politics in this country but it needs to be challenged as much as possible. All of the fault, literally all of the fault, for this mess resides with Theresa May and her authoritarian incompetence.

I agree it is her fault but Corbyn just plays right into their hands every time there is an open goal.

All he had to do was agree to meet her without any published preconditions then walk out when it was clear she was not shifting her stance.