Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

51 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fair enough, although I would say some of them are deluded by ideology and prejudice, and not necessarily thick in a strict sense, but we basically agree.

Aww  . . . ideology and prejudice . . .  gotta love it. 

The polls mean very little. Their  track record in the last few elections/referendums is wanting. 

Stoke, Sunderland, Accrington . . . Middle England en masse . . .  They want out. 

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, hopefully I will be,  but the core 'out vote' contingent want OUT.  They don't give a shit about any deal, they just want out. 

Opinion does seem to be swinging towards Remain however, but changing the views of the xenophobic block vote is going to be challenging.

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

20 hours ago, Donathan said:

NI voters are unhappy with Brexit, agreed, but this doesn’t suggests that the Protestant majority would prefer to join the Republic, nor pea it suggest that the Republic wants them.

Going by the SKY poll a couple of months ago the RoI would welcome a united Ireland

Republic of Ireland SKY poll

- Just 7% think Ireland should give some compromise to help the UK
- 60% think Irish Gov doing a good job
- 84% think UK Gov doing a bad job
- 64% of RoI would support unity with N.I.

Looks like May is going to change tomorrow’s vote from a ‘meaningful’ and binding one to a provisional and non-binding vote, in an attempt to drag this out to the EU Council on March 22nd.

Astounding, really.

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

Looks like May is going to change tomorrow’s vote from a ‘meaningful’ and binding one to a provisional and non-binding vote, in an attempt to drag this out to the EU Council on March 22nd.

Astounding, really.

Talk of a cabinet rebellion if she does.

33 minutes ago, Paco said:

Astounding, really.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Talk of a cabinet rebellion if she does.

Parliament as a whole will reject this.  She’s gone from someone who, just maybe, was going to pull a rabbit out of the hat to someone who had lost her last shred of dignity and credibility.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Racist Rudd and a couple of no mark suits walking out won't hurt her too much.

Apparently the brexiteers are as fed up with her as the remainers and inbetweeners, so if they all gang up on her she's fucked, although they have no way of forcing her out with a vote till December. I think a GE is getting more likely, there is no Government anymore. 

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Apparently the brexiteers are as fed up with her as the remainers and inbetweeners, so if they all gang up on her she's fucked, although they have no way of forcing her out with a vote till December. I think a GE is getting more likely, there is no Government anymore. 

I wouldn't worry about it, we haven't had a government here for two years...

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:
9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Written statement from May coming up. Bit unusual, she usually sticks up a lectern outside No 10 to say f**k all, I think it could be a biggy. 

Probably pulling the vote as has been mentioned

If she does that there will be an utter shitstorm, unless she combines it with her resignation or calling for a GE.

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't see her leading them into another GE. 

Another possibility is she'll ask parliament to vote for an amended deal that the EU haven't agreed to, and let the EU Council of  Ministers say yeah or nay to it at the meeting on the 21st/22nd. Which would leave one week to go.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

A meaningful vote can be provisional I suppose.

If this is the way things go, it's the most astounding thing that has happened in this whole process IMO. In my mind, it'd be May pretty much giving up on agreeing a deal and looking for ammunition to spin it as the big bad EU being unreasonable in a few weeks time when we get some real chaos.

The sad thing is, it's possibly a good idea to keep electoral dominance. The press have been feeding EU myths for decades now, I think you'd at least get half of the electorate sucking it up and Murdoch et al would be happy to do the dirty work. It doesn't really matter if most of the country don't like them or suffer hardship, it just takes around 30% of eligible voters to keep them in a position to form a government and they can do that with a coalition of the well off and those who are vulnerable to psychological warfare. Labour being praised for having a great election campaign and a shockingly good performance but there still being a 55 seat gap shows just how bad a state they are in and how standards have fallen.

To stop this, I don't know what can really be done anymore. It doesn't seem like the opposition are finding this mechanism to avoid this scenario and the government are setting the agenda and handling time in parliament. It's possibly going to take a dozen MPs basically ending their prospects as future politicians and voting against their own government in a confidence motion.