Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

10 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

What if the car I've been stuck with for what seems like 300 years, is falling to bits and keeps pulling to the right? Would I not be a shoe-in for a loan at good rates...

Decent analogy, but try selling it beyond the denizens of P&B. You are about to see previously unseen levels of scare stories. You can rest assured, that out with Sturgeon, no coherent answers will be forthcoming.

2 minutes ago, jakedee said:
5 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:
Surely we would have seen the harsh reality of Brexit by now though. Brexit doesn’t wait for a virus to diminish. The SNP and all the BBC bed wetters told us it would be horrific. It’s not even remotely been that.

Take it you don't know any fishermen, or farmers, hauliers or well, any exporters?

Thankfully not. Am I meant to be feeling sorry for some rich fishermen/farmers having to fill out a few extra forms? To be fair, they’ll fill the forms in having been vaccinated.

Thankfully not. Am I meant to be feeling sorry for some rich fishermen/farmers having to fill out a few extra forms? To be fair, they’ll fill the forms in having been vaccinated.
How about some farmhand, or a worker in a fish market who has been impacted? Just out of interest, have you ever been in a situation where your told "sorry business is bad just now, I need to let you go". I have and it isn't nice, especially if it comes out of the blue and you have a family to feed.

8 hours ago, Pato said:

I see we've moved on from a country's finances are like a household's to sovereign bonds are like car finance. Super stuff.

I wonder if we’ve moved on from trying to sell Indy without having a currency plan. Now that would be super stuff!

57 minutes ago, Pato said:

You might dislike the proposed plan (of the SNP, mind you, not necessarily whoever ended up in charge in an independent Scotland), but the plan has been stated pretty clearly for some time: use Sterling till such time as a central bank & new currency can be established & collateralised.

I explained all this yesterday, in November 2020 the Scottish Government established the Scottish National Investment Bank with funds of £2 Billion, this will be our central bank as per the Copenhagen Criteria for EU membership application, on Independence we will than issue our own currency.

So the currency problem used by the better together mob is dead in the water 

2 billion's a wee bit short of the ~120billion that's needed. I could envisage an SNP-destroying situation where independence is voted for but they have to remain nominally within the UK till there's enough funds. The unionist attack line should be 'you'll be independent in name only!' and not 'you couldn't possible hack it!' but they won't learn this.
Whatever happens the unionist line will be Scotland has the worst possible option available to it.

1 hour ago, Pato said:

2 billion's a wee bit short of the ~120billion that's needed. I could envisage an SNP-destroying situation where independence is voted for but they have to remain nominally within the UK till there's enough funds. The unionist attack line should be 'you'll be independent in name only!' and not 'you couldn't possible hack it!' but they won't learn this.

Sorry but that's nonsense.

The £2 billion was a start but where did you get the £120 Billion from? The Copenhagen Criteria doesn't mention a financial figure required.

Scotland's national income in 2019 was £177 Billion and we've hardly touched our natural resources and without major foreign investment if we were an Independent country.

Never be taken in with westminster propaganda that we are a poor country.

Read on.

Lithuania one of the three Baltic States and the last to join the EU had a failing economy closely tied to Russia, at the point of joining it did not have £120 Billion and nowhere near it, once it joined it received  EU funding and with Foreign Investment the country has seen an economic boom.

How about smaller EU countries with small economies like Cyprus and Slovenia where did they get £120 Billion?

Just as the uk negotiations with the EU during Brexit, Scotland, on Independence, will have extensive separation negotiations with the uk leading to a Withdrawel Agreement, are you thinking that the uk will charge Scotland £120 Billion for the pleasure which is absolute tosh and the kind of shite you see in The Daily Express.

What will happen is discussion on each countries share of financial responsibility, for example the oil revenues, given westminster's investments they will remain a beneficiary of the oil revenue for years and then all will revert to Scotland, and yes the North Sea will be with us for many years to come, think of plastic manufacturing alone. 

And that will be the theme until all shared areas are resolved.

According to a uk Government study the biggest hit for the remaining uk would be the cost of relocating the nuclear establishment on the Clyde, Scotland has made it clear they want the Nukes removed as we will not be a nuclear weaponry country, so all extensive costs will lie with the remaining uk.

2 hours ago, Pato said:

& are they wrong? In the short term I don't see any way round some dent to current levels of expenditure in order to get this kind of dough together and be able to credibly offer government bonds with feasible yields. If you take the attractive short term view that independence is a route 1 for getting rid of tories, you need to also explain that you're willing to take the short term hit to an as yet unknown number of elements of public life and services to get that. This is why Detournement always goes on about it being preferable to keep circling the plughole as part of the UK in the hope events happen to change things. It's a gamble either way.

Didn’t the Andrew Wilson report (forgot its name) predict years of austerity post independence?

However, for the true believers, that’s a price worth paying.

The problem is selling it to the public at large.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Didn’t the Andrew Wilson report (forgot its name) predict years of austerity post independence?

Unlike the UK which, checks notes, has just had years of austerity. Now that the Tories have shaken the magic money tree for furlough, track & trace and lining the pockets of their pals, will we all be basking in the sunlit uplands post Covid and Brexit or will we be told that we won’t be able to afford to pay our public service workers pay rises?

29 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I thought the public were “sick of experts” forecasting doom and austerity as the result of leaving a political union. Hearing and reading reports of economic disaster didn’t stop you and your English and Welsh brethren being true believers in Brexit. Or is it that you only pay attention to experts when they’re telling you what you want to hear?

Austerity is now a permanent state for the UK which, given the aims of the Conservative Party, should be no surprise for anyone. It's been announced that we've got another four years of it coming, and anyone thinking there won't be another five after that is in denial. Meanwhile, the Tories and their mates have become even wealthier in the harshest financial conditions since the Second World War, and the Prime Minister discusses how their greed has been helpful.

If you're under a certain income, you're very slowly going to be worse off in perpetuity. The Tories win the war in Britain by making sure that enough folk can think, "I'm alright, Jack," to ignore the growing lines at the food banks, but thankfully there appear to be fewer people in Scotland who find pulling up the drawbridge acceptable. The Conservative Party have made sure that "in an independent Scotland, you might be a bit worse off for a while" is an argument doomed to fail.

8 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I thought the public were “sick of experts” forecasting doom and austerity as the result of leaving a political union. Hearing and reading reports of economic disaster didn’t stop you and your English and Welsh brethren being true believers in Brexit. Or is it that you only pay attention to experts when they’re telling you what you want to hear?

I agree that I am a true believer in Brexit, as you are regarding independence.

All I’m saying, and you never address it, is that it’s quite a big sell to the public at large.

You obviously think you can win the pitch. Fair enough.

Many folks were Remainers because they believed the experts.

On that basis we agree.

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I agree that I am a true believer in Brexit, as you are regarding independence.

All I’m saying, and you never address it, is that it’s quite a big sell to the public at large.

You obviously think you can win the pitch. Fair enough.

Many folks were Remainers because they believed the experts.

On that basis we agree.

That’s not what you said. You said that independence supporters consider “years of austerity” “a price worth paying”. Ergo, you do believe in Andrew Wilson’s dire prediction. Except, when it comes to economists telling you Brexit will cause economic misery (when they are telling you something you don’t want to hear) then you don’t believe them. Unless you agree that years of economic misery will be the result of Brexit, but that this is a price worth paying?

6 minutes ago, Antlion said:

That’s not what you said. You said that independence supporters consider “years of austerity” “a price worth paying”. Ergo, you do believe in Andrew Wilson’s dire prediction. Except, when it comes to economists telling you Brexit will cause economic misery (when they are telling you something you don’t want to hear) then you don’t believe them. Unless you agree that years of economic misery will be the result of Brexit, but that this is a price worth paying?

For the final time, I went for Brexit and factored in a drop in income of around 10%.for the first 5years.

To me sovereignty was the clincher.

As it stands, I don’t think that will happen but who knows?

Surely, it is the same with independence. You should go with your gut feeling, or sovereignty, if you like, but whether you believe the experts or not, it must be sensible to factor in some pain whether or not it bothers you or otherwise. Also, it may not happen. There may be no pain at all. It might be a glorious success story. Who knows?

If we had followed the experts Brexit would never have happened.

Likewise, if you follow the experts, independence won’t happen.

Like Brexit, you just need to convince a sufficient number of people.

Surely we can now agree.