Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

It's fairly undemocratic to ignore a result because some folk didn't like the result.

Imagine if the same was used in the event of a yes vote in the Scottish referendum.

Agreed, and it's fairly undemocratic to bankroll a campaign with Arron Banks funny money, to discover that Cambridge Analytica used mined personal data to wilfully attempt to skew the result, never mind a litany of half-truths and downright lies peddled by the Leave camp and the rabid right-wing media.  The 2014 Referendum, whilst not perfect, was a model of probity by comparison, and on a far more representative turnout than that of 2016.

May is trying to railroad the country into backing a shit deal on the disgraceful premise that 'people just want us to  get on with it'; well I'm sorry Theresa, but we've arrived here only because of an ideological schism in your party, one which is routinely rejected in my country, a country which voted 62/38 to Remain.  When my grand-daughters' future is being put at risk I'm not disposed to indulge in Marquis of Queensberry niceties about democracy when we are all at risk from a cabal of duplicitous right-wing b*****ds.  b*****ds who are now  being  flattered by Trump's attentions - need I say more ?

Agreed, and it's fairly undemocratic to bankroll a campaign with Arron Banks funny money, to discover that Cambridge Analytica used mined personal data to wilfully attempt to skew the result, never mind a litany of half-truths and downright lies peddled by the Leave camp and the rabid right-wing media.  The 2014 Referendum, whilst not perfect, was a model of probity by comparison, and on a far more representative turnout than that of 2016.
May is trying to railroad the country into backing a shit deal on the disgraceful premise that 'people just want us to  get on with it'; well I'm sorry Theresa, but we've arrived here only because of an ideological schism in your party, one which is routinely rejected in my country, a country which voted 62/38 to Remain.  When my grand-daughters' future is being put at risk I'm not disposed to indulge in Marquis of Queensberry niceties about democracy when we are all at risk from a cabal of duplicitous right-wing b*****ds.  b*****ds who are now  being  flattered by Trump's attentions - need I say more ?
You do remember that David Cameron, Theresa may, and George fucking Osbourne were all on the remain side?

There's a cabal of duplicitous right wing b*****ds running the show either way.

My faither is a leave voting Communist. He just wanted to throw a grenade into the Westminster and city of London establishment.

Of course I have, and I agree with many of them. But I don't think any are big enough to justify another vote.

Demonstrably lying and breaking the law in the campaign running up to the referendum are enough on their own. Many people who voted Leave now think 'f**k this' and would rather remain. 

I thought the referendum was supposed to be 'advisory' but is now somehow 'the will of the people' despite most of them changing their minds when they saw how they'd been bullshitted by lies on buses and promised parliamentary powers coming to Westminster while not losing any EU membership benefits at all. 

Brexit was a crock of unworkable shit from the beginning and only came about from Cameron's arrogance at thinking he could walk the referendum and heal the divisions in his own horrible party - and many now realise it. Time to go back to the electorate and say "armed with facts and not fantasy bullshit, what say you now?". Anything else is criminally and deliberately damaging the country. 

I'm not sure how many voters were affected by Cambridge Analytica, Aaron Banks and Facebook's shenanigans. Not on Facebook myself, were a lot of you facebookers bombarded with subtle hints not to bother voting, or to vote leave? 

Edited by welshbairn

You do remember that David Cameron, Theresa may, and George fucking Osbourne were all on the remain side?

My faither is a leave voting Communist. He just wanted to throw a grenade into the Westminster and city of London establishment.

And I'm sure Boris, Farage and Rees-Mogg will come round to his door and thank him personally when minimum EU workers' rights are taken away.

Edited by welshbairn

And tell me, is your Faither satisfied with the outcome of his act of gross self-indulgence ?

Christ it'll be depressing if it's overturned on account of supposed shenanigans with no meaningful engagement on the social issues that fostered this level of resentment.

I don’t disagree, but how is Brexit going to attempt to address these same issues, and why would you expect a Conservative government to even care when they’ve not only failed to address the issues in eight years but actively sought to make them worse?

Far less depressing to hold our hands up, start again where we were in 2016 and try to make things right.

And tell me, is your Faither satisfied with the outcome of his act of gross self-indulgence ?
I think he's enjoying the media squabble, and thinks that the consequence will be severe for a few months - but things will quickly establish themselves.

The threat of some products being unavailable for a while, and some disruption to our modern lives, is not something he's worried about.

If the financial markets are hit hard, he'll cheer.

39 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I think he's enjoying the media squabble, and thinks that the consequence will be severe for a few months - but things will quickly establish themselves.

The threat of some products being unavailable for a while, and some disruption to our modern lives, is not something he's worried about.

If the financial markets are hit hard, he'll cheer.

We live in a capitalist society.  If the markets crash various folk will suffer various levels of pain.

As always those who can least afford it will also be effected and, as always, they will be hit disproportionally hard.

I’m not one for military analogies but the poor bloody infantrymen will suffer more than the generals.    Can’t see how anyone of a left-of-centre political persuasion would enjoy that.

Guest Bob Mahelp
39 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

One of the great successes of British politics being effectively a duopoly is to make the public believe that whatever happens in the country politically, nothing will change.

That simply encourages people to believe in the staus quo, and at the same time discourages debate, discussion and passion for anything different.

Brexit is the biggest political upheaval in British politics since the 2nd world war, and it's beyong insane that there's a whole country of utter f*ckwits out there that are shrugging their shoulders and saying 'ach, nothing's gonna change'.

(Not calling your dad an utter f*ckwit btw)

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Do you want to leave the EU? 52% yes. Not sure what's so difficult about this tbh. A second vote because of 18months of Tory infighting would seem quite undemocratic to a lot of people.

That's cause a lot of people are thick as shit and don't have the very basic knowledge of what democracy is.   

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We live in a capitalist society.  If the markets crash various folk will suffer various levels of pain.

As always those who can least afford it will also be effected and, as always, they will be hit disproportionally hard.

I’m not one for military analogies but the poor bloody infantrymen will suffer more than the generals.    Can’t see how anyone of a left-of-centre political persuasion would enjoy that.

Billy Bragg can be a sanctimonious blowhard at times, but his Twitter feed can be very insightful.  A lot of his union brethren (which side are you on, boys?) are actually surprisingly ardent unionists, and he gets a lot of stick for encouraging Scottish independence.   Likewise, a lot of his followers seem to buy into this anti-EU stance.  There are quite a lot of ostensibly contradictory positions adopted by the left of left of centre.

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Christ it'll be depressing if it's overturned on account of supposed shenanigans with no meaningful engagement on the social issues that fostered this level of resentment.

Unfortunately, this is going to be totally ignored.

Do politicians ever wonder why up to 30% of eligible voters never bother voting?

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

They would be happy if 90% never voted.

:lol: They probably would, but that doesn't really address the issue (which is totally separate from Brexit, and perhaps should be a thread on its own.)