Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The full legal advice to be published today

Hoping it will frighten enough of her far-right gimps into backing her shit sandwich. I wouldn’t be surprised if her meeting with them involve her pleading to let her get this through and admitting she’ll then crawl back into her coffin after March and allow one of them to try and seek something even more psychotic. 

Edited by Antlion

44 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The full legal advice to be published today

I wonder if Pie and Bovril has a resident law professor (say, at LSE?) who can break that advice down into a handy series of posts inside twenty minutes of it being published?

35 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Hoping it will frighten enough of her far-right gimps into backing her shit sandwich. I wouldn’t be surprised if her meeting with them involve her pleading to let her get this through and admitting she’ll then crawl back into her coffin after March and allow one of them to try and seek something even more psychotic. 

Is this really what we want?  The only possible outcomes are 1. a hard right capitulation in the commons, thus saving May's (EU regulated) bacon, or 2. more of this clusterfuck.

In the case of 1. we go hurtling into Brexit, irrespective of how badly we're going to suffer.  At  least in 2. we know that there's absolutely no support for a No Deal Brexit and Theresa May would be out on her ear.   The over-riding likelihood would be either a second referendum or no Brexit at all.

13 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I've said that article 50 would be extended and brexit wouldn't happen (nap) for over a year now. This is what's happening. Article 50 will be extended to allow for a people's vote. I for one am delighted but it's a shocking afront to democracy

As I've previously mentioned, there are a lot of high up folk in finance who don't expect it to happen, but they have all had to plan for it going ahead and as a result, even cancelling Brexit at this stage will still have caused significant damage to the UK economy, as well as how outsiders view the UK from an investment point of view.

If there is a "Peoples vote" it isn't an affront to democracy, it's a sensible course of action to take given the facts available at this stage. The initial vote appears to have woken quite a few from their slumber and slapped them across the face with what it actually means, when before, many didn't think it would make any kind of difference. If the opinion of the majority has now changed, then the country should listen to the majority. That is how democracy is supposed to work.

36 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Not quite. Leadsom said they would make a statement today, not quite the same thing but you never know.

I can't help but wonder whether there have been civil servants pulling all nighters to create a document they can release and claim as the full legal advice.  Much like the David Davis 'planes have wings' Brexit impact assessment reports.

Looked like the public were starting to pull into line behind May's deal a bit a few days ago, but it appears to be going the other way again now the debating has started. May is trying to sell the deal to MPs by saying it's what the public want - if this becomes the trend (I'd imagine we'll see a few polls over the course of the next week) then this is pretty devastating for her.

Edit: You have to wonder if Cox has misled Parliament about the legal advice in some way. You'd expect him to reappear today given MPs will have full access to this advice and will inevitably compare it to what he said in Parliament. I'm surprised he's not facing up to that head on - if it's shown he's lied in some significant way, that 23% support figure will drop even lower pretty quickly.

Edited by Kyle

5 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Links to the legal advice please!

Not released yet. MPs have it and Starmer is already tweeting about it - saying it's unthinkable that MPs were expected to vote on the deal without this information and that they tried to conceal this from the public. 

This could be a big day, or it could just be a damp squib that the opposition parties will try and build up with little effect.