Automatic cars.

TheCelt67

Yeah folk talk about these type of systems all the time, buts it's not something I'd expect to ever see mass produced. The majority will be "Semi-automated" and will still require a "driver". The guy who died in one was watching a film, and it's been admitted that if he'd been looking at the road then he'd have been able to prevent the accident, it's weaknesses in the system like that which will force us away from the truly self driving cars

Manual override will still be needed for a while yet, especially to build up driver confidence. As the % of 'self driving' cars on the road increases then the cars will interact with each other and the need for an override will decrease. A bloody long way off tho.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When this happens it will happen quickly. Insurance for the cars will be held by the manufacturers of the software, not the driver - after all if the driver isn't driving, he can't be at fault. So insurers will have a choice of insuring the driver of a manual car or insuring the manufacturer of the driverless car. The latter is a quantifiable risk - about one accident per 2.5 million miles so insurance is going to be much, much cheaper for the latter, especially as it will be covered by one premium payment instead of millions.

First to cross over will be commercial vehicles as companies will save a fortune on the insurance alone. Then as the tech becomes proven, private cars. But without the millions of commercial vehicles subsidising the insurance companies, private car insurance will sky-rocket. The choice for the public will be to drive a Google Lexopolous with an insurance premium of £150 (to cover fire & theft) or a Vauxhall Corsa with an insurance premium of £1500.

Manually operated cars will become status symbols, playthings of the wealthy.

When this happens it will happen quickly. Insurance for the cars will be held by the manufacturers of the software, not the driver - after all if the driver isn't driving, he can't be at fault. So insurers will have a choice of insuring the driver of a manual car or insuring the manufacturer of the driverless car. The latter is a quantifiable risk - about one accident per 2.5 million miles so insurance is going to be much, much cheaper for the latter, especially as it will be covered by one premium payment instead of millions.

First to cross over will be commercial vehicles as companies will save a fortune on the insurance alone. Then as the tech becomes proven, private cars. But without the millions of commercial vehicles subsidising the insurance companies, private car insurance will sky-rocket. The choice for the public will be to drive a Google Lexopolous with an insurance premium of £150 (to cover fire & theft) or a Vauxhall Corsa with an insurance premium of £1500.

Think we are looking for a trigger point, as soon as a large cooperation decides to begin using self driving cars the ball won't stop rolling.

Did this story come to you in a dream?

This is entirely correct. The statement of a visionary.

Folk made similar claims with electric cars and their zero Road tax. That's never come to pass either and hybrids are taking over the role as the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Learn to drive a manual then that way at least you have the option. 

When I was young I always swore I'd never own an automatic. Back then they were dire and 'real' drivers drove manual cars. 

Things have moved on massively. 

My current motor is a 3.2 Audi TT (short back n sides sir and perhaps something for the weekend ;) ) with the S-Tronic DSG auto box and it's just fantastic. It changes gear quicker than I ever could. I can just let it do it's thing in Auto or Sport modes or flip it over to manual and use the gearstick or flappy paddles when the mood takes me. Love it :thumsup2   For some reason the auto is cheaper to tax (£275) than the manual version (£500+ :o ). Go figure. 

Occasionally when work hire me a car I always secify an auto. Just lazy I guess :lol: 

I work for a small tech company in Edinburgh who are involved in supplying sensors to a couple of major car manufacturers for use in driverless cars.

The consensus seems to be that driverless cars will be the norm well within ten years.

Not my idea of fun but definitely going to happen.

The only thing I can think of that is worse than driving a fully automatic car is owning a self driving car. Then again I'm a complete car bore who loves driving and as a result I'm an extremely dull person to be around.

In saying that there are an awful lot of folk on the road who I would happily move into a driver-less car. Everybody in Fiat 500s for example, anybody driving a Nissan Micra who drives at 30 everywhere and guys with poor personal hygiene and old (very faded) denim jackets in 90s BMWs who try and overtake you on roundabouts.

On 28/10/2016 at 20:43, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The only thing I can think of that is worse than driving a fully automatic car is owning a self driving car. Then again I'm a complete car bore who loves driving and as a result I'm an extremely dull person to be around.

In saying that there are an awful lot of folk on the road who I would happily move into a driver-less car. Everybody in Fiat 500s for example, anybody driving a Nissan Micra who drives at 30 everywhere and guys with poor personal hygiene and old (very faded) denim jackets in 90s BMWs who try and overtake you on roundabouts.

Sorry about that.  It had been a long day and I wanted to get home quickly.

On 10/28/2016 at 20:43, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Bad result today, chap?

I drove an automatic Mercedes-Benz people carrier yesterday as the works one is being fixed. What a complete shambles of a thing to drive. I've driven loads of automatics over the years but this one seemed to have been designed by a 3 year old. Nothing in the right place, no lights to tell you what was engaged and it felt like the hand brake was on when ever you pulled away from a junction, thank God it went back today.

@RandomGuy.

You know about motors so I have a question about power steering fluid I got for my manual car yesterday. The girl in the shop looked up the type I needed on the computer, but being a female and it involving cars, obviously I didn't trust her answer so I did a quick double check on google which gave me the same result. When I picked it off the shelf it appears to be automatic transmission fluid but according to online petrolhead forums it can be used for steering fluid as well.

Is this right or is my steering liable to seize up as I attempt to avoid schoolkids on a zebra crossing as I'm texting behind the wheel?

11 hours ago, Dee Man said:

@RandomGuy.

You know about motors so I have a question about power steering fluid I got for my manual car yesterday. The girl in the shop looked up the type I needed on the computer, but being a female and it involving cars, obviously I didn't trust her answer so I did a quick double check on google which gave me the same result. When I picked it off the shelf it appears to be automatic transmission fluid but according to online petrolhead forums it can be used for steering fluid as well.

Is this right or is my steering liable to seize up as I attempt to avoid schoolkids on a zebra crossing as I'm texting behind the wheel?

We use it on virtually every power steering job, have done for the 5 years I've worked there, and never had any bother with it.

ATF is just a generic hydraulic fluid thats capable of doing any hydraulic job as far as I'm aware. Easiest way to see if its the right thing, is to see what colour the fluid is that was already in it, usually a choice between green and red. If you're just using it for a top up then you'll be grand, but I would say its not something that should disappear without there being a leak.

10 hours ago, JamieT1314 said:

My Google searched said Ok for a short term fix but not to be used as a permanent replacement as it will rot the seals. I wouldn't be going near it.

I'd be wary about Googling things like this, tbh. You'll find that everyone on forums are trying to outsmart each other and "IT'LL DESTROY YOUR CAR!" is a post made about almost everything.

Archived