Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sir Matt Le Tiss said:

Pete were watching different games then, if that was the tactic why not 4-42?

He obviously wanted to keep the same eleven who beat Malta, but putting Burke out on the right and Snodgrass central suggested he wanted the wingers on their natural side, and it seemed like he wanted to hit crosses in. 

He fucked up, but thats not Martins fault.

Not sure I can be bothered reading 40 odd pages back. What have the happy clapper gimps had to say about "Gordo's" / "Strach's" team tonight I wonder. My guess would be some tragic mewling about people wanting Scotland to fail.

Strachan is extremely lucky - both with referees and other results - that this campaign isn't practically over already. I would love him to prove me wrong, stop being an absolute fud and change it up whilst we somehow have something to play for. Probs not going to happen though.

I've not read the thread but for my tuppence worth I have to add..... Why the f**k was Matt Ritchie playing? Every cross or corner was floated in, ye can't attack a floated ball. Once he went off Robertson had license to do his thing an swing balls in. Not only that but their goal came from him being in acres of space in their half an receiving the ball only to knock it back instead of turning and driving at them. Also Burke wasn't wholly effective but subbing him for Forrest Gump who offered nothing when he came on was shocking. And as much as I hate to admit it, surely griffiths should have been on from the start along with Martin to give us a 2 pronged attack. Strachan must go, doesn't have a clue!! Rant over

3 hours ago, Lex said:

What's worse than losing to Lithuania at home? Assuming we do of course.

Belarus at home? With Kenny Miller getting in the way of a goalbound effort, right on the Belarus goal line, to stop us from scoring.

Paterson got absolutely roasted, particularly in the first half, and Martin had a good effort from a header that drifted wide but otherwise got completely dominated and had minimal influence on the game - got to think that there's a better option for creating chances/goals than playing him which a better manager would find.

Piss poor.

As for some of the individuals, Burke is raw, but he's nice and direct; would perhaps be better served as an impact sub and taking Forrest's role in the squad with Forrest ideally getting launched into the sun, but I've no qualms with Burke being in the squad. Robertson influential on the left, Hanley clumsy, Snodgrass invisible.

As for Forrest; missing the target entirely when he had about 4 full seconds to steady himself for a shot. Christ.

The Lithuania goal seemed like the kind of thing Martin was in for but couldn't manage; a neat little interchange after a nice layoff totally beat Hanley to set them away. Was Marshall slightly at fault last campaign for a goal and at fault for that one again? I'm leaning more towards it being a good finish than a mistake personally, think the striker kidded on he was going to go low across goal with the eyes but blasted it in near post instead.

A massive uphill task now.

Children of the Night would quite obviously be the superior ned beat to play post-goal. Or, better still, play One Step Forward (Two Steps Back) by the Desert Rose Band.

Guest DAVIDB69

I suppose a win in Slovakia or it's probably over , realistically probably two defeats and a Strachan resignation after the England game

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The tactic where we try and whip balls in the box as our opponents have crowded out the centre of the park. I think that was the plan tonight, but it backfired due to abysmal deliveries. Once we started getting decent balls in we scored one then had another cleared off the line.

You realise our goal came from a long throw, 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He obviously wanted to keep the same eleven who beat Malta, but putting Burke out on the right and Snodgrass central suggested he wanted the wingers on their natural side, and it seemed like he wanted to hit crosses in. 

He fucked up, but thats not Martins fault.

I don't think that is obvious, we scored one out of five that day from crossing in open play against he worst team in the group, hardly the solution going forward for the war room then to whip balls in for one guy with 2 international goals to his name.

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

You realise our goal came from a long throw, 

Yeah, is a long throw not a delivery into the box?

I came into this game with a pretty optimistic mindset. The team selection wasn't exactly how I'd have put it out, but it did well in the last match and Strachan is very loyal to players who do well for him. I forgave Martin up top, who I think is guff but thought might be good enough to break down a weaker teams defence.
Martin- he's too immobile to play international football. He linked ok today but he just doesn't have the attributes to play in a team like Scotland.
Burke- best player on the park first half. Naive at times taking on too many players but at least created.
Snoddy and Ritchie- poor decision making tonight and forced to do the work of deeper midfielders because...
Fletcher and Bannan- so one dimensional. Bannan was good against Malta but now I realise how foolish I was to put any credence in that result. McArthur was better when he came on, I think Fletch could be done at international level.
Defence is poor but we knew that already. It's an area we are thin and we can't really do anything about that. We should be expecting to concede most games. With the attacking options available we should be scoring much much more.
Griffiths was good when he came on. Buzzed around and really showed what happens when you have a striker who can move. Needs to start v Slovakia.
Forrest can gtf. I was so angry when GS made that substitution. Forrest is a charlatan who can run fast and finish with the outside of his boot. It looks good in the Premiership but it's just not enough to merit inclusion in the national setup. I don't get it. I don't think I ever will. He's 25 ffs this is as good as he's gonna be. The fact that it was for Burke was salt in the wound.
The team bought Strachan 3 days with the equaliser. He needs a win in Slovakia in my eyes. A lot of work on the training pitch to setup our pretty good attacking squadmembers into a team that can effectively create chances

1 minute ago, Sir Matt Le Tiss said:

I don't think that is obvious, we scored one out of five that day from crossing in open play against he worst team in the group, hardly the solution going forward for the war room then to whip balls in for one guy with 2 international goals to his name.

Well yeah, Strachan fucked up and went with the wrong tactic.

Willie Millers ratings...

Marshall - 6

Paterson - 7

Martin - 6

Hanley - 6

Robertson - 8

Fletcher - 5

Bannan - 6

Burke - 6

Snodgrass - 5

Ritchie - 6

Martin - 6

McArthur - 7

Forrest - 5

Griffiths - 5

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, is a long throw not a delivery into the box?

You talked about whipping balls in from the wide area then mentioned the goal, we never once whipped a dangerous ball in, we threw a good ball in once

Strachan either had to sort his wingers out or take martin off as he was ineffective, he did neither and we got lucky that the lithuanian right back fell asleep and played mccarthur onside 

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Paterson a 7?!?!

Callum Paterson (right-back) 7

He was exposed a couple of times in the first half but he's a powerful boy and he defended pretty well in the main. Had a hand in the equaliser as well with that long throw-in. He's a threat going forward

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Willie Millers ratings...

Marshall - 6

Paterson - 7

Martin - 6

Hanley - 6

Robertson - 8

Fletcher - 5

Bannan - 6

Burke - 6

Snodgrass - 5

Ritchie - 6

Martin - 6

McArthur - 7

Forrest - 5

Griffiths - 5

Both Martins were awful as was Paterson, never trust a bankrupt man with a moustache

Archived