Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Defo not buying into this bullshit that weer already out after 2 games , even taking 0 points from England mean there's still 6 games left come on get serious when the slovaks beat is on [/b  ]Wednesday then we can go into meltdown mode !!!

Hopefully better than GBX...

Oh, no question. As always get mentioned - Lars Lagerback twice put himself forward; we picked Levein and Burley instead (IIRC); he took Iceland to Euro 2016.

You can understand the logic though - many Scotland fans will simply be against the idea of a non-Scot full stop, and others would lambast SFA if another non-Scot failed. Hence them steering well clear.

I reckon right now Scotland fans would take anyone competent regardless of nationality. Continually picking Martin n desperately forcing in forrest is bloody pathetic. Ignoring an in form fletcher after continually picking him when he was horribly off form tells you how utterly lost Strachan is

35 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Burke is young n raw but he still looked more likely to do something than Forrest who is consistently shocking at this level. Fletcher not getting game time for Martin playing 90 is out n out Levein standard crazy. Strachan is done.

Fletcher has looked consistently shocking at this level for years, but he is in form.

How is this different for Forrest?

Am I alone in thinking that Martin wasn't that bad? Starved of service, he still managed two very good attempts. For me, Snodgrass and Ritchie were the bigger disappointments. I said the same as Alex McLeish during the second half, "is Snodgrass still on?" Burke looked dangerous towards end of first half and I would have given him another ten minutes. Forrest has been in fine form but barely touched the ball and had that awful miss. Might be asking a lot of a young guy but I'd be inclined to give Burke another start in midweek. Griffiths has to start though, despite my earlier comments.

Fletcher has looked consistently shocking at this level for years, but he is in form.

How is this different for Forrest?

Perhaps the 4 goals n cpl assists in his last 100 mins of competitive international football n forrests entire zero goals zero assists zero completed crosses.....what has forrest ever done at international level? ? At all?? Ever??

ETA forrest is lost playing against Malta n Lithuania. He's done nothing for Scotland every single time. I'm not even a fletcher fan but he did more in ten min v Malta than forest's entire Scotland career.

Just now, Owsley said:

Am I alone in thinking that Martin wasn't that bad? Starved of service, he still managed two very good attempts. For me, Snodgrass and Ritchie were the bigger disappointments. I said the same as Alex McLeish during the second half, "is Snodgrass still on?" Burke looked dangerous towards end of first half and I would have given him another ten minutes. Forrest has been in fine form but barely touched the ball and had that awful miss. Might be asking a lot of a young guy but I'd be inclined to give Burke another start in midweek. Griffiths has to start though, despite my earlier comments.

Absolutely this. I think folk are picking their usual scapegoat and he's the obvious choice, given his rather undistinguished Scotland career to date and lack of recent club form. The problem was definitely a lack of good service to him, though - two instances of good service and he came close on both occasions - the central midfielders who played tonight had to be moving the ball into wide areas much quicker. To their credit, Lithuania pressed us well but we did very little to stretch them or disrupt their shape and ended up resorting to the long ball. On that basis, I'd have to say Bannan was the main disappointment tonight, since both McArthur and Fletcher are both very much conventional holding midfielders. 

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Perhaps the 4 goals n assists in his last 100 mins of competitive international football n forrests entire zero goals zero assists zero completed crosses.....what has forrest ever done at international level? ? At all?? Ever??

What has Burke done?

Not saying you are right or wrong.

Just fed up of people posting reactionary pish and panicking like f**k because we drew a game, making nonsense points with absolutely f**k all evidence to support them.

Fletcher has scored 4 goals against Gibraltar and Malta, suddenly he is our answer in genuinely important games? At international level he has scored 9 goals, 6 of those came against Gibraltar, 1 against Iceland (in 2009, back when they were still dogshit), 1 against Malta and 1 against Poland. So I make that 1 genuinely significant goal in 29 international appearances, granted Martin hasn't done any better, but to say Fletcher gets ahead of him on international experience is total bollocks.

Burke looks promising but has yet to show any kind of effectiveness at international level, Malta and Lithuania were two perfect chances to do so and he failed to take either, Forrest has been excellent for Celtic this season so it was entirely justified to bring him on.

We're sitting on 4 points from 2 games with 8 still to play, yes, we should be on 6, yes Strachan is not the right manager for us and needs replaced, but the extremes that all the minters on here jump to is ridiculous. We beat Malta 5-1, 3 of those goals coming when they had 10 men and we're great and should be aiming for top, we draw with Lithuania and suddenly qualifying is over and we should just give up international football completely.

Absolute total fucking nonsense spouted whether we win, lose or draw, just calm the f**k down.

Strachan was outthought tonight. Lithuania's first half approach left us detached and devoid of ideas. Martin did ok up front but he was never going to get any more than a half chance given that he was constantly crowded out. Griffiths should have come on a half time to give support Martin and stretch their back line. This was so reminiscent of the Levein approach: disjointed, and stubborn in refusing to change the plan. Forrest coming on was a huge mistake, we needed to get in behind, we got someone who hid on the wing and blew a massive chance when it landed at his feet. 

I haven't complained much about Strachan, but I thought his arrogance cost us tonight. 

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Oh, no question. As always get mentioned - Lars Lagerback twice put himself forward; we picked Levein and Burley instead (IIRC); he took Iceland to Euro 2016.

You can understand the logic though - many Scotland fans will simply be against the idea of a non-Scot full stop, and others would lambast SFA if another non-Scot failed. Hence them steering well clear.

It's depressing to think that people would be inherently against a non-Scot being appointed, especially when you consider what a candidate list of Scottish managers would currently look like. Folk have been talking about bringing back Eck for another shot at improving his CV, or begging The Cardigan to come out of retirement, FFS.

I know folk were joking about him being pished, but Eck didn't look well in the studio tonight, BTW.

1 minute ago, professor challenger said:

I know it hasn't been the greatest of nights but for what  it's,worth I think we're on the cusp of having our most successful ever international team.     Bit of tweaking required but second place in even this group should now be a,target given other results tonight.

:lol:

1 minute ago, professor challenger said:

I know it hasn't been the greatest of nights but for what  it's,worth I think we're on the cusp of having our most successful ever international team.     Bit of tweaking required but second place in even this group should now be a,target given other results tonight.

I like your optimism, Prof.

3 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

big_1468116673_image.jpg

What has Burke done?

Not saying you are right or wrong.

Just fed up of people posting reactionary pish and panicking like f**k because we drew a game, making nonsense points with absolutely f**k all evidence to support them.

Fletcher has scored 4 goals against Gibraltar and Malta, suddenly he is our answer in genuinely important games? At international level he has scored 9 goals, 6 of those came against Gibraltar, 1 against Iceland (in 2009, back when they were still dogshit), 1 against Malta and 1 against Poland. So I make that 1 genuinely significant goal in 29 international appearances, granted Martin hasn't done any better, but to say Fletcher gets ahead of him on international experience is total bollocks.

Burke looks promising but has yet to show any kind of effectiveness at international level, Malta and Lithuania were two perfect chances to do so and he failed to take either, Forrest has been excellent for Celtic this season so it was entirely justified to bring him on.

We're sitting on 4 points from 2 games with 8 still to play, yes, we should be on 6, yes Strachan is not the right manager for us and needs replaced, but the extremes that all the minters on here jump to is ridiculous. We beat Malta 5-1, 3 of those goals coming when they had 10 men and we're great and should be aiming for top, we draw with Lithuania and suddenly qualifying is over and we should just give up international football completely.

Absolute total fucking nonsense spouted whether we win, lose or draw, just calm the f**k down.

Arguing that forrest n Martin are better than Burke n fletcher? ?? Burke did more v Malta than Forrest has in all his caps combined. Martin being so static is hilariously bad for entire team....except it's not funny....after 18 years maybe we should stop picking cloggers when we have have better available would be a shout

Archived