Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

International football is far more tactical than our domestic game but you still need to have players with the ability to make quick transitions whether that's defensively or attacking, the Martins can do neither combined and Paterson is just a unit, nowhere near the level required, the three of them.

5 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Could mean Slovakia are pish. Or more plausibly that anyone can take points of anyone in this mini group of 4 teams and that it may take a low points total to finish second.

In which case the team in question will be very likely to miss-out on a playoff.

I'm not actually disagreeing with the premise - and maybe Slovakia have turned rubbish, and we'll win on Tuesday and have 7pts - but it just seems to me like people are sometimes too willing to constantly move on to the consolation positive? It's the same with Strachan delivering what's quite clearly not an accurate reflection of the match he's just watched and going on as if 1pt is OK. No-one thought that before kickoff.

Maybe a bit of brutal honesty would do us good. Having high expectations hasn't, and always looking on the bright side hasn't. Maybe we need the focusing power of realising every point lost could be fatal.

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Its not knicker wetting its fairly simple. teams that go to world cups beat shite in the qualifiers. that's why we never do, all those "spirited" performances against the heavyweights mean absolutely f**k all when you cant put away no name diddys like Georgia and Lithuania for the same 3 points. weve been doing it so long we are no on a par with said teams

Shite? They outplayed us tonight and have drawn their last two matches against Poland and Slovenia. 

We should be beating them at home but they have players in Holland, Germany, Israel, Croatia, Russia, Poland, Romania - better or similar levels to the domestic Scottish league.

I think you think there is a much bigger gulf in class than there actually is.  We should be doing better but describing opposition as "shite", at least in comparison to us, is just delusional.

Could mean Slovakia are pish. Or more plausibly that anyone can take points of anyone in this mini group of 4 teams and that it may take a low points total to finish second.

Which in all likeliness means being worst 2nd place team n not getting a play off spot....

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

In which case the team in question will be very likely to miss-out on a playoff.

I'm not actually disagreeing with the premise - and maybe Slovakia have turned rubbish, and we'll win on Tuesday and have 7pts - but it just seems to me like people are sometimes too willing to constantly move on to the consolation positive? It's the same with Strachan delivering what's quite clearly not an accurate reflection of the match he's just watched and going on as if 1pt is OK. No-one thought that before kickoff.

Maybe a bit of brutal honesty would do us good.

There's being brutally honest then there's being defeatist. I think everyone agrees it was a very poor result but, for me, saying we are out of it already is silly. Still a lot of football left to be played.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats not a good thing though

6 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Which of course means second place might not even get a playoff spot.

4 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

That will not be good enough though. The worst of the 2nd place teams don't even make the playoffs.

I guarantee the teams who finish 1st and 2nd in our group take 6 points from Lithuania

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Maybe a bit of brutal honesty would do us good. Having high expectations hasn't, and always looking on the bright side hasn't. Maybe we need the focusing power of realising every point lost could be fatal.

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Which in all likeliness means being worst 2nd place team n not getting a play off spot....

Cheers guys. 

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Shite? They outplayed us tonight and have drawn their last two matches against Poland and Slovenia. 

We should be beating them at home but they have players in Holland, Germany, Israel, Croatia, Russia, Poland, Romania - better or similar levels to the domestic Scottish league.

I think you think there is a much bigger gulf in class than there actually is.  We should be doing better but describing opposition as "shite", at least in comparison to us, is just delusional.

do you think they'r going to qualify or get to the play offs? they are shite they are making up the numbers, problem is so are we. we were garbage against malta up until they went down to 10 men, we cant put away Lithuania at home, never mind where they are playing. its not world cup worthy material

There's being brutally honest then there's being defeatist. I think everyone agrees it was a very poor result but, for me, saying we are out of it already is silly. Still a lot of football left to be played.

Luckily this result is out of kilter with our last two years form where we scooshed our way thru last campaign to lots of wins with a really tactically sharp inspirational mgr....

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

They are also 5th seeds, 117th in rankings, etc.

You're quite right that they aren't "sh*te"... but if you can't beat the 5th seeds at home, you leave yourself needing 3pts - or multiple sets of 1pt - in games you weren't banking on.

That's all some of us are saying, IMO.

Been saying for years that Chris Martin needs to go. He's a total jobby. When Griffiths came on we looked more likely to score and indeed we did.

That said near enough all the team played with no heart or desire.

Strachans time is well up. If he can't spur the players on enough to win at Hampden against a shite team then he's done.

Absolutely right. Strachan' language in press conferences, his arrogance with supporters and tonight's performance says it all. He failed in the last campaign and whilst I don't always agree with Spiers he is correct about Strachan and how he's been given a pass on the last campaign. Tonight showed he's not learnt from it and smaller countries success like Wales, Iceland and Northern Ireland. We have the squad to be doing much better. His selection choices are mind boggling. His lack of enthusiasm and patronizing attitude to the media and fans would be ok if he had the nation winning. But he continues to stick his middle finger up at us all. He hates criticism and whilst I think he does want to succeed his continued failure means he has to go. His philosophy isn't working.

His one good point is that he's brought in some younger blood who I believe and I am sure we agree are good enough. Robertson, Burke, Tierney all worthy of a continued development and place in team. I'm glad Snodgrass is back and am on form McArther equalized but equally Martin, Hanley, and a number of players not playing regular first team football needs to be addressed. Another manager surely can get more from this squad? We don't have world class players but we have a deeper squad than our pessimism suggests.

I think we find a 'Bilic' Croatia type scenario. A young, ambitious up and coming manager who wants to prove worth that can take the boys and give them the confidence they should have. Patriotism, pride in the shirt and the ability and potential. But who? There aren't many options out there. We need to make these players believe. It's fine margins as the team is better than it has been in recent years.

3 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I'm in the boozer and never heard the post match interviews, surely he never said that?

I think the quote was, "that could end up being a valuable point".

I bet Jankauskas is seething that they didn't hold on for all three.

Archived