Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Based on that, we won't win on Tuesday. You need 20 points for 2nd, usually.

We'll get 6 from Malta. Meaning we need 14 from the other sides. Thats us only able to get 3 from Lithuania at best. Leaving us needing 11 points from the six games against England, Slovenia and Slovakia. 

Forget about the games against England, as they'll beat us, and we need to get 11 points from the four ties against Slovenia and Slovakia based on the assumption we beat Lithuania away. 

We have to win every game apart from the ties against England. Can you see us doing that?

I'm not willing to sign off that we need 20 points for a start. Slovenia drew with Lithuania but beat Slovakia so looks like there will be points dropped all over the place in this group.  Also worth noting that we got 1 point from tonight's draw meaning we need 10 points from 4 games against Slovenia and Slovakia to meet your arbitrary 20 points. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dave1875 said:

Still second in the table

"It's all over for us"

Christ...

Only problem with booting Strachan out the door is who takes his place? Or rather who wants the Scotland job?

Yeah, the "It's all over for us" brigade after two matches just need to wring their knickers out and then shut the f**k up.

However the performances, especially the first half performances have just not been good enough. Nowhere near.  It's a world cup qualifier and we didn't look bothered, lethargic, slow, uninterested, no imagination,.  There just seems to be no motivation there whatsoever, think back to the Georgia game and how utterly inept we looked in that match and that has to be seen as a huge problem.

We should be going out at minute 1 to impose ourselves on the match, take the game to the opposition and make sure any team coming to Hampden has a hard, hard time and we don't do it.  Why not? 

Strachan makes a few odd choices but mostly I'm looking at player attitude here.  You might say Strachan isn't motivating them or they aren't responding to his tactics but players need to do a lot more - I mean just more fucking energy for a start.

The spotlight is on them and the manager now against Slovakia.  We really, really need to get a good performance and at least a point, if not three.

Just now, GingerSaint said:

I'm not willing to sign off that we need 20 points for a start. Slovenia drew with Lithuania but beat Slovakia so looks like there will be points dropped all over the place in this group.  Also worth noting that we got 1 point from tonight's draw meaning we need 10 points from 4 games against Slovenia and Slovakia to meet your arbitrary 20 points. 

I'm just basing it on the last WC qualifiers 18-20 points was what the "best runner ups" got. 

And I forgot we drew and didnt lose tonight :lol:

We have been rubbish for 20 years. Strachan should be sacked soon as we are now out, but things won't change, same story year after year regardless of managers and players. If only we weren't a half decent team in the past then maybe it would be easier to accept our mediocrity.

That really is embarrassing tonight. As has been said Strachan should do the honourable thing, but he won't. Tactics really were woeful tonight. Long ball pish for Martin or Burke to attempt to win. We also played better when Fletcher was taken off. He looks done at this level. Snodgrass never really had a sniff of the ball in a dangerous position tonight which sums it all up for me.

^^^potential word salad

Someone will have to explain to me why Slovenia beating Slovakia makes things OK?

Does this not just imply that, actually, Slovenia are pretty handy too...? In which case it's a four-way fight for 1 or 2 places.

Also the Slovaks have 0pts from 2 of their 3 toughest games. They'll now be going all-out for win on Tuesday. We have 4pts from 2 of our 3 easiest games.

In these circumstances I always put myself in the shoes of the opposition. They have just heard about us failing to beat Lithuania at home. There's no way any of England Slovenia or Slovakia reacted to that in any other way than (1) great the Scots have dropped 2pts and (2) great the Scots may actually be pretty poor. You cannot put a positive spin on drawing at home to Lithuania except that we were a few minutes away from it being a defeat at home to Lithuania.

As I said - far from all over, 8 games left, but it's a terrible blow to our chances.

Archived