What's Your Street Like?

29 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

census information may include figures for adjacent streets and postcodes. The figures are therefore representative of the local area, not a specific street address or row of houses. The census collection is designed so that each group of postcodes should contain at least 100 people (50 in Scotland). This is done to preserve the anonymity of the people in that area, as some postcodes cover a very small area, sometimes a single building. You can see the area covered by the census statistics by clicking "Show Census Area Covered" below the map above.

Ah, got you.

Really confused now, because mine apparently includes a prison.

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’m kinda a fan of the Yank “duplex”, “triplex” (try-plex), and “fourplex”….but the fourplex is usually two up and two down. You reference a semi or terrace around here and they look at you weird.

Isn't a duplex often one unit on top of another rather than side by side?  Or either?

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Isn't a duplex often one unit on top of another rather than side by side?  Or either?

In common usage, in the U.S., a “duplex” is simply a British “semi-detached/semi”. In the biggest cities it may be vertical or horizontal. A “fourplex” is usually a two wide by two tall configuration, but can be two in front and two in back (a terraced fourplex is possible, but very rare). A “triplex” is a quite rare unicorn…but the one pronounced “wrong” (try-plex vs tri-plex or triple-x [which is quite different entirely]). Mostly, anything over a duplex is either a “condo” or “apartments”. Once you get to larger developments, terraced homes are known as “rowhomes”.

4 hours ago, Darren said:

The return for my postcode says it's 100% White, which will come as a surprise to my next-door neighbours.

Darren’s next-door neighbours.

99786041-77EF-4550-8A64-C718EE93B79C.thumb.jpeg.f19f33f5279f5c9eda9571c2ee6d6c17.jpeg

Darren’s next-door neighbours after reading the census return.

8EE54461-2BA1-4AB6-90C2-1718E5E03B14.thumb.jpeg.186018069da8e7cf20ff916b96ab60a3.jpeg