Buddies v Sons 5/11/16

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat me to it by seconds!

Scottish football's best dressed manager :wub: That dinner jacket he wore at our awards night in about 2012 :wub:

Anyway, I'm well aware that our friends from Paisley have a much bigger game than this during the week where, hopefully for us, they will finally get beaten by Greenock Morton. Failing that we could, conceivably, find ourselves perched in 10th at 3pm on Saturday (if Saints can win by 4 clear goals at Cappielow) which might actually convince Stevie to set a team up to win a game.

We've not won away from home since December 5th 2015 - and defeat here, against Bonnyrigg and against Queen of the South would see us tick off the full calendar year without a win outside of G82. Happy days.

St Mirren were absolutely brutal against us in September, but our laughable finishing that day meant that both teams shared the points. They can't be any worse than they were that day - though I'd like to think neither can we in the final third.

I still have (vivid) nightmares about our 1-0 defeat in February where we set up with 8 defensively minded players and Jordan Kirkpatrick as a 'false nine'. Truth be told that was the real moment where I began to doubt Aitken.

Our team that day, in case anyone forgot, was something like this

Mark Brown

The Mantis Gregor Buchanan Frazer Wright Mark Docherty

Scott Taggart Jon Routledge Grant Gallagher Darren Barr Tom Walsh

Jordan Kirkpatrick

*Shudder*

Anyway, we won't do it, but I'd like to see us go all our for a victory. Rather lose going for the win than lose with 1, feeble, effort in the 71st minute.

Alan Martin

David Smith Gregor Buchanan Frazer Wright Daniel Harvie

Andy Stirling Mark Docherty Joe Thomson Robert Thomson

Sam Stanton

Garry Fleming

Thomson did well the other week against Dundee United out wide, and did set up the goal on Saturday. That's him on 4 goals and 4 assists (5 if you include the stramash against Morton) so far this season which, considering how frustrating he can be, is a decent return. The more I see of him the more I think back to Nish - and I mean that in a good and bad way. There's times where his touch is sensational and he looks incredible, and there's other times (particularly in front of goal) where he looks like he isn't a footballer.

Sparky and Thomson worked well in central midfield, whilst Stirling deserves a start after making a big impact against the Pars. Stanton or Todd could've dropped out but I felt Stanton was being played far to deep on Saturday, so moving him in behind Gaz makes sense - he looked excellent there at Tannadice.

Naturally I'd move Wright in for Barr who really has looked off it since he returned - as well as that he can't play with Buchanan. For whatever reason it just doesn't work, there's no understanding or communication between the two of them. That leaves you with a difficult situations; do you drop the captain or the strongest defender? Captain every day for me.

I suspect it'll be another draw which suits neither team. Garry Fleming for us, Ryan Hardie for them.

I can't remember the last time I had such little desire to attend a game.

Hoping we can try and end our disgraceful away record but I have zero confidence in us doing so. Stevie seems to think St Mirren are some sort of Premier League standard outfit when they quite clearly aren't so I'd expect more turgid shite from us. His comments have left me expecting another 4-6-0 and a narrow, ugly defeat.

The St Mirren fans can join in this thread after Morton fail to beat them...again :huh:

Lots of points to play for and every team in the league beatable but this match does feel as though it has a lot riding on it. Despite the hideous away record I hope we get a decent turnout from Sons fans and if the team can respond on the park all the better. We need to blast this away hoodoo by any means possible, all witchcraft welcome.

Fingers crossed Fleming is fit, I thought he showed real leadership and grit last Saturday. Doubt Aitken will make any other changes.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can't remember the last time I had such little desire to attend a game.

Hoping we can try and end our disgraceful away record but I have zero confidence in us doing so. Stevie seems to think St Mirren are some sort of Premier League standard outfit when they quite clearly aren't so I'd expect more turgid shite from us. His comments have left me expecting another 4-6-0 and a narrow, ugly defeat.

Agree, it's yet more negativity from the gaffer. Everyone else in the league sees games against St Mirren as a chance to take full points and we're talking them up as if they were some sort of Premiership powerhouse who are just on a bad run. For a manager who relies heavily on momentum and confidence within his squad, at a time where silly mistakes are costing us, I would expect him to be much more positive (regardless of our form).

The law of averages would suggest we're more than overdue an away win, but when your gaffer is talking up the opposition rather than his own team a week before the game it suggests to me we don't really believe we can end this run here. Sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Having watched the St Mirren game on Periscope last night we absolutely have to win this. Their performance yesterday was not dissimilar to us away from home; Very little possession, long balls to players who can't control them and a fairly comfortable defeat.

St Mirren are nowhere near a Premier League side, and hopefully (assuming he was there) Stevie realised that and will now play for a win. If we attack them there's absolutely no reason why we can't take all three points. My fear is that we sit deep (as they did last night) and end up with a draw or scrappy defeat.

10 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Defeat would be a bitter body blow for either side and could easily lead to long-term slump. We have to go into this believing we can win.

We've entered that long-term slump Dumbarton should be the first team on your accumulator this weekend.

26 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

We've entered that long-term slump Dumbarton should be the first team on your accumulator this weekend.

Hmm..only the bold would punt coin on an away victory for a side who haven't tasted success on the road for nearly a year now.

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Stevie's comments from Saturday are haunting me. I will be absolutely beyond seething if he treats this as some sort of little part-time diddy side vs Barcelona.

Go for the jugular Stevie!

+1. No false nines this time please.

3 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Grim times when a team like Dumbarton, having not won away for a year, strongly fancy their chances of getting a win here.

I genuinely don't think many of us fancy our chances to be honest. I certainly don't :( It would just be nice to see us attack a bit away from home for once.

Archived