Buddies v Sons 5/11/16

35 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Precisely this. Only one team set out to win the game. Dumbarton created one chance and had the other gifted to them. How anyone can came Dumbarton deserved the win is beyond me.

Saints had numerous chances in both halves. The keeper saved well from Morgan and Magennis first half, Sutton headed just wide. Second half Naismith header, hit the bar twice. That is probably the only game we have deserved to win this season.

If we can start converting chances then I see no reason why we can't catch Dumbarton.

except we didn't only create one chance.....Langfield actually pulled off a stunning save from a Fleming header at the start of the 2nd half. I would suggest that although St Mirren undoubtedly made loads of chances, the only one that was even really close was the late effort off the underside of the bar

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dry yer eyes.

Only 1 stat counts. And that stat is the ball hitting the pokey, whether that's aided by your bumbling mess of a tear and snotter stained keeper matters not a jot. He should stick to being overly emotional and blocking folk on Twitter.

Us scoring one more than you = us deserving to win.

I'm well aware that goals are what matter, we only have ourselves to blame for not scoring. The Langfield error should not have lead to a defeat as we created more than enough chances to win. We absolutely should have won that game. Our strikers are just as much to blame for this defeat as Langfield.

Had we been sitting here talking about a 2-1 win for Saints very few people would've been able to argue with that. The reason we aren't doing that is because of our strikers. My eyes are very much dry.

except we didn't only create one chance.....Langfield actually pulled off a stunning save from a Fleming header at the start of the 2nd half. I would suggest that although St Mirren undoubtedly made loads of chances, the only one that was even really close was the late effort off the underside of the bar

That is the chance I was referring to you and a great save it was. Other than that and Langfield gifting you a goal, he wasn't troubled at all.

Precisely this. Only one team set out to win the game. Dumbarton created one chance and had the other gifted to them. How anyone can came Dumbarton deserved the win is beyond me.

Saints had numerous chances in both halves. The keeper saved well from Morgan and Magennis first half, Sutton headed just wide. Second half Naismith header, hit the bar twice. That is probably the only game we have deserved to win this season.

If we can start converting chances then I see no reason why we can't catch Dumbarton.

Not quite sure where anyone said we deserved the win. We played poorly, sat very defensively and the only result fitting of the game would've been a 0-0 draw. Saints had possession but did nothing with it; we didn't and scored courtesy of a mistake.

Morgan's first half effort was weak, and would've been saved by any component goalkeeper, I can't remember Magennis's. The Naismith header from the corner was (and I'll say it again) never going in.

The last 10 minutes Saints piled everyone forward, but that was it. There was no structure or plan - just punt (or chuck) balls into the box, and hope a stramash pays off.

51 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I have to side with the Sons fans here. If you don't score, you don't deserve to win. Stats are basically meaningless. If a team comes and creates nothing, then you have to punish them, as other teams keep on managing to do to us.

See to be fair, pretty much any sons fan who has been paying any attention to ourselves can 100% relate to this. We have been playing well for weeks but just lacking any cutting edge and not doing enough in the final third. That combined with defensive errors have cost us lots of points.

In a way I am glad we have won whilst not playing as well. Because if we can continue to go on picking up points/wins, I don't care if we 'deserve' them or not.

12 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

See to be fair, pretty much any sons fan who has been paying any attention to ourselves can 100% relate to this. We have been playing well for weeks but just lacking any cutting edge and not doing enough in the final third. That combined with defensive errors have cost us lots of points.

In a way I am glad we have won whilst not playing as well. Because if we can continue to go on picking up points/wins, I don't care if we 'deserve' them or not.

Yeah, that's fair, and there's nothing wrong with grinding out a win, or winning ugly. 

I guess the only problem is if those performances are as good as it gets; if those points you're gaining are basically papering over the cracks. Case in point: us under Alex Rae last season. Upturn in points gained, safety secured with reasonable comfort, but performances were still (severely) lacking.

Turns out we were on the cusp of something much much worse, despite a summer transfer window that few were complaining about at the time.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

^^^ blubbering mess

I also think St. Mirren deserved nothing. Hardie's 6 yard miss was the only real chance we created. The rest of our pressure was either balls into the box, our attemps from outside.

Langfield despite his howler actually had a couple of good saves, one of which was a very good save.

Over the piece a point might probably have been fair, but I don't think we can really complain at taking none.

Archived