Buddies v Sons 5/11/16

Well, pretty it was not and we rode our luck a bit towards the end, but that was a big psychological result for us today.  I don't think there's a Sons fan on here who thinks this will be anything other that a brutal shift this season, but the commitment of the squad has never been in question and we got a wee reward for that this afternoon.

St.Mirren may well still revive but their play already has a tinge of desperation in the final third and any Jack Ross bounce had better come quickly before the quicksand begins to suck at their ankles.  We need to keep our defensive discipline and keep battling away, and above all keep in touch for as long as possible.

Finally the sherricking of Langfield was frankly an embarrassment - we can do better than that guys, and Barr got away with one BIG time, it was that sort of day :whistle

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well, pretty it was not and we rode our luck a bit towards the end, but that was a big psychological result for us today.  I don't think there's a Sons fan on here who thinks this will be anything other that a brutal shift this season, but the commitment of the squad has never been in question and we got a wee reward for that this afternoon.

St.Mirren may well still revive but their play already has a tinge of desperation in the final third and any Jack Ross bounce had better come quickly before the quicksand begins to suck at their ankles.  We need to keep our defensive discipline and keep battling away, and above all keep in touch for as long as possible.

Finally the sherricking of Langfield was frankly an embarrassment - we can do better than that guys, and Barr got away with one BIG time, it was that sort of day :whistle

I assume you're referring to the Barr hand ball? Looked a stick on foul and red card from what I saw.

I've been trying to think of what to post after that. For much of the game we were awful, we sat back and afforded them far too much time - but today it worked. So fair play to Stevie for that.

Really feel for Langfield, he made a wonderful save from Gaz's header but made a total mess for the goal. These things happen, but when you're in the situation that they are it seems an awful lot worse. He'll recover, but I'm still surprised that you dropped Gallacher for him.

In saying that it was great composure from Joe Thomson to roll the ball across for Gaz 'HE H8S EH SINT MURN' Flembot to score. He could easily have panicked and snatched at the shot, so fair play to Thomson for that. He's been a cracking signing.

Nae idea how the ball stayed out at the end, but there was some cracking goalkeeping from Aldo and all the defenders chucked themselves at the ball. Thought David Smith was (again) excellent, and we look a lot stronger with him at RB than we did with Pettigrew.

Sons win and my team won this morning. First time that's happened for yonks. Happy days!

I urge my fellow Sons fans to view this game in context and retrospect (this is the word now ubiquitously shortened to 'retro'). I honestly didn't think the first half was too bad. Sure we were playing a defensive game but in that context, Dave Smith and Darren Barr in particular, had a storming 45 mins.
Ok, so St Mirren hit the bar twice in the match. We also had two great scoring chances -ironically Langfield made a superb save from Fleming before the goal.
This was a well deserved three points and no mistake.
No, there isn't a punchline.

34 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've been trying to think of what to post after that. For much of the game we were awful, we sat back and afforded them far too much time - but today it worked. So fair play to Stevie for that.

Really feel for Langfield, he made a wonderful save from Gaz's header but made a total mess for the goal. These things happen, but when you're in the situation that they are it seems an awful lot worse. He'll recover, but I'm still surprised that you dropped Gallacher for him.

In saying that it was great composure from Joe Thomson to roll the ball across for Gaz 'HE H8S EH SINT MURN' Flembot to score. He could easily have panicked and snatched at the shot, so fair play to Thomson for that. He's been a cracking signing.

Nae idea how the ball stayed out at the end, but there was some cracking goalkeeping from Aldo and all the defenders chucked themselves at the ball. Thought David Smith was (again) excellent, and we look a lot stronger with him at RB than we did with Pettigrew.

Sons win and my team won this morning. First time that's happened for yonks. Happy days!

Don't feel sorry for Langfield. He's a c**t.

That was a huge win, but I almost feel like we won the game by mistake. Fear it'll be seen as vindication of Stevie's continually deferential tactics. Langfield presented us with a chance that we scarcely looked like fashioning ourselves.

Huge credit to David Smith for sticking to his task and growing into the RB role. I rate the boy Morgan that he was up against, and remember him giving Scott Taggart a torrid time last season.

The last two games were pivotal for us, so I'm very happy and relieved to emerge with four points.

Agree with the Smith praise, he looked like an accomplished right back today and kept Morgan quiet. He can read the play well back there and has pace, two things Pettigrew doesn't have. Still think I'd prefer Sparky and Barr switching positions but a clean sheet and 3 points, we'll take it. The league table doesn't look as horrid as it did at 3pm. 

6 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It does for us. emoji24.png Only solace is we had most of the ball and we're the better side. Clutching at straws though. We're rooted and going down.

I actually thought it was pretty even over the whole game. A draw would have been fair on both sides.

Why was Barr breaking out the cha cha slide today at one of their cross balls from the left? I don't want to see our captain hesitating on balls like that.

Anyway, cheers to Garry flening for funding my night out in Manchester next week, yass.

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Really? Apart from the save Clangers made I don't think you created another chance. We had numerous and you rode your luck quite a bit. Still goals are what count in the end!

We didn't, but St Mirren had about 60% possession and only really looked as if they might score during two goal line stramashes (if that is the correct plural) at the end, with Aldo having very little to actually do other than take goal kicks.

In saying that if we had played like that against any other team in the league we'd have lost fairly comfortably. I expected St Mirren to be poor, but they were absolutely awful and I really felt that 1 goal would be enough for us to win. I'd say last season's Alloa side gave us tougher games than that - Christ even that laughable Morton team I mentioned earlier beat us 3-0 at Cappielow!

Sutton and Morgan were decent. Mallan is outstanding on the ball, but when he's sat that deep and surrounded by dross he looks lost. I hope Jacko can turn it around (though obviously not at our expense) he really is an excellent coach. The thing is, he needs time to reshape what he has...and I'm not sure you can afford to give him that time.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Thought David Smith was (again) excellent, and we look a lot stronger with him at RB than we did with Pettigrew.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

David Smith deserves a mention. I thought he was excellent today and I have no qualms about him continuing at right back.

Earlier in the season people were putting forward the theory that maybe Pettigrew was struggling due to being exposed by Smiths lack of defensive ability.

Turns out that Pettigrew is actually so bad that Smith, even with defence being the weaker part of his game, is the much better option at right back. 

For any Falkirk fans passing through to lol at St Murn, you read that right. David Smith is our best RIGHT BACK.

Archived