Buddies v Sons 5/11/16

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He did get caught out sitting deep against Falkirk (and there might've been another game too) but I felt more comfortable with him in there to be honest. He conceded a penalty against Peterhead early in the season - but was playing at LB that day because we hadn't signed Harvie yet, and hasn't conceded one since. The other penalties we've conceded have been Buchanan v Hibs ('foul' on Holt), and Harvie v Ayr (foul on Devlin).

I take it we're all just assuming Fraz is done as well? He's done a Shug Murray and vanished, only to be spotted on the bench these days. A real shame if he is finally finished, as he was outstanding last season. Wonderful player to watch as well.

Fraz looks finished. In the warm up yesterday he was looking pretty immobile. That being said, he played through injury pre season (when he shouldn't have!) and last season he took a while to settle. So I am hoping he still has a part to play. He did struggle pre season but as I mentioned he clearly wasn't fit to be playing.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

'Sons Sorrow' for this stuff  :offtopic

We'll post where we want,

We'll post where we waaaant...

5 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Fraz looks finished. In the warm up yesterday he was looking pretty immobile. That being said, he played through injury pre season (when he shouldn't have!) and last season he took a while to settle. So I am hoping he still has a part to play. He did struggle pre season but as I mentioned he clearly wasn't fit to be playing.

Aye, I fear you are right. Although he's always walked with a belter of a limp, so hopefully it's nothing more serious than the hip condition he needs to have injections for.

My god what do sons fans want . I thought similar to what most have said about today's game but in a positive sense. Darren Barr had best game of season and those who say can't play with buccy should watch how they tamed John Sutton after 10 minute run around . 

We only had Gary Fleming header . What about Stanton run and shot so we can dismiss that post . 

I would prefer when goin forward we didn't stop and turn back(joe Thomson , andy Stirling . 

We don't win we criticise. We win we criticise . 

I thought overall today we deserved a win . One off bar was my only real concern in game . Oh and all my criticism of davie smith are fading at the moment , another good game 

John Sutton won absolutely everything in the air...

First game I've been to this season. We didn't play as bad as I was expecting. Even though he'd made a great save about 5 mins before, you could see that howler coming a mile off:lol:

Also, hopefully the old guy that took a fall in the main stand is ok, looked like he took a sore one:(

It had felt that a John Sutton headed goal was inevitable such was his dominance in the air through the early stages of the match. Buchanan and Barr improved as the match progressed, leaving aside the hand ball.

Pleased for the lads getting the win. Not a great performance by any means and we rode our luck a bit but points are everything in bottom-end dog fights.

I'd like to see us express ourselves a bit more next week with Stanton and J.Thomson getting a bit more time on the ball.

Meanwhile St.Mirren and Jack Ross need the window, that much is clear.

Also, what happened with the Barr incident? Did he handball it? Was difficult to tell what happened from the angle I was at

I thought it was at the time. But despite it being right in line with me I couldnt be certain. There was some half arsed claims from the players, but nothing much made of it. The highlights missed it as well.

I thought the officials were ok yesterday, and the decision had no bearing on the game.

Difficult to see where our first win will come from. We deserved nothing from yesterday's game, completely lacking in any ideas or creativity. There also appears to be a real lack of fight or desire.

Changing the team week in week out is an issue. I realise if players are playing poorly then they should be replaced, but we've hardly had the same 11 two weeks on the bounce.

I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from yesterday's game. I thought we were pretty insipid in the first half, although despite all their possession and attempts on goal, St Mirren didn't produce too many genuinely worrying moments. Nevertheless, with that amount of dominance you would have expected them to be in front. I can't recall us having a single attempt on target before half time.

Second half, we did step it up a little and probably had the best chance of the match up to that point, with Garry Fleming's header that produced a fine double save from Langfield. It was an excellent ball in from Stirling too. For the goal itself, apart from, my heart was in my mouth when Garry hit it first time, as I think there was a bobble on the pass from Joe. After that, we showed plenty of determination to make sure that we put an end to our awful away record, allied to a welcome slice of luck, especially with the one that came back off the underside of the bar.

We certainly played better away to Morton and Dundee United (maybe even the first half at Falkirk) than we did yesterday, but hopefully the players get a lift from this. Having been at every away league game since our last win, I know that it cheered me up and it was also good to see Daniel Harvie not looking utterly bereft at full time for a change! On another positive note, we've now scored only one goal less away from home than we did all last season, with two thirds of the season still to go. Added to that, we held on to a lead something we've failed to do too often this season. Last season I think we won every game that we went in front in, apart from the 3-2 loss at home to Raith.

A bit like the Dundee United game, I thought Sam Stanton came onto a game in the second half after a pretty anonymous first half. I like the way he can go past a player (or two) and wish we could get him on the ball more, especially in that central attacking midfield area.

Stevie's post match comments were a bit perplexing in that he acknowledges that away results for the best part of the year have not been good enough ( actually, you could say throughout his reign), but it doesn't look like we're going to see a different tactical approach adopted anytime soon. Surely we'll not be quite so passive and cautious at Bonnyrigg in our next away outing?

It's stating the obvious, but the remainder of this month is likely to give a decent indication of how this season is going to pan out for us.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

oY62Vk.gif

Silky.

Ladies and gentlemen....our goalkeeping coach! :lol:

In all honesty though, as a management team, how can you even prepare for such levels of fuckuppery? He literally had ANYWHERE else on an entire football park he could have put that except to one of the two black and red shirts. It wasn't even like he was under pressure either. The Dumbaton player clearly stepped off and left him to get on with it, almost instinctively knew he'd just be wasting energy by putting him under pressure as he was going to make a rip-roaring c**t of it anyway.

Didn't make the game, but just watched 15 minutes of highlights from Dumbarton TV.

An incredibly one-sided game.

It's like Celtic v a minnow, but where somehow the minnow win.

We've given away some absolutely dreadful goals this season, that one perhaps not even the worst, and with us not able to score with even 20 shots on goal, it's no surprise we're in the position we're in.

6 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Didn't make the game, but just watched 15 minutes of highlights from Dumbarton TV.

We've given away some absolutely dreadful goals this season, that one perhaps not even the worst, and with us not able to score with even 20 shots on goal, it's no surprise we're in the position we're in.

Wasn't really that one sided was it? :lol:

Not able to score? Our 'keeper hardly had a save to make.

7 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

You did have 20 shots, but only 6 were on target and I wouldn't have expected Aldo to have conceded any of them. I'd say it was more like watching Rangers this season. St Mirren passed it about loads, did very little with it rarely threatened and lost possession cheaply trying to play out from the back.

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

You did have 20 shots, but only 6 were on target and I wouldn't have expected Aldo to have conceded any of them. I'd say it was more like watching Rangers this season. St Mirren passed it about loads, did very little with it rarely threatened and lost possession cheaply trying to play out from the back.

As I said, I wasn't at the game, but going by the highlights from Dumbarton TV, Saints had loads of chances.

And the two that hit the bar don't actually count as on target, but if you don't think those two were great chances I don't know what you'd count as a chance.

As I said, I wasn't at the game, but going by the highlights from Dumbarton TV, Saints had loads of chances.

And the two that hit the bar don't actually count as on target, but if you don't think those two were great chances I don't know what you'd count as a chance.

I'm well aware of what counts as on and off target. The second one was a great chance, but the first one (header) was never going in. Aside from the Hardie/Barr crossbar one and, maybe, Sutton's first half header you created very few clear cut opportunities.

How many saves did Aldo have to make that made you think "Wow, how did he get that?!" That's what I'd judge it by.

32 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm well aware of what counts as on and off target. The second one was a great chance, but the first one (header) was never going in. Aside from the Hardie/Barr crossbar one and, maybe, Sutton's first half header you created very few clear cut opportunities.

How many saves did Aldo have to make that made you think "Wow, how did he get that?!" That's what I'd judge it by.

I've only watched the footage once, but something that goes narrowly by, or is a weak shot, or is straight at the keeper will not end up in a goal, but that does not mean it wasn't a great chance.

Plenty of goals come from half chances, or even quarter-chances with lucky breaks/deflections etc.

On that footage it looked like Saints had 4-5 very good chances, and had plenty of other half chances.  On another day, or with a team with a bit more confidence or luck, Saints would have scored at least a couple given the dominance that footage suggested.  

On that footage it looked like Saints had 4-5 very good chances, and had plenty of other half chances.  On another day, or with a team with a bit more confidence or luck, Saints would have scored at least a couple given the dominance that footage suggested.  

Precisely this. Only one team set out to win the game. Dumbarton created one chance and had the other gifted to them. How anyone can came Dumbarton deserved the win is beyond me.

Saints had numerous chances in both halves. The keeper saved well from Morgan and Magennis first half, Sutton headed just wide. Second half Naismith header, hit the bar twice. That is probably the only game we have deserved to win this season.

If we can start converting chances then I see no reason why we can't catch Dumbarton.

Precisely this. Only one team set out to win the game. Dumbarton created one chance and had the other gifted to them. How anyone can came Dumbarton deserved the win is beyond me.

Saints had numerous chances in both halves. The keeper saved well from Morgan and Magennis first half, Sutton headed just wide. Second half Naismith header, hit the bar twice. That is probably the only game we have deserved to win this season.

If we can start converting chances then I see no reason why we can't catch Dumbarton.

Dry yer eyes.

Only 1 stat counts. And that stat is the ball hitting the pokey, whether that's aided by your bumbling mess of a tear and snotter stained keeper matters not a jot. He should stick to being overly emotional and blocking folk on Twitter.

Us scoring one more than you = us deserving to win.

Archived