The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

6 hours ago, Aladdin said:

In all likelihood, they're going to use the prospect of the open seat to shore up support amongst any wavering evangelicals before the election and then try and push it through before January irrespective of the result.

If Biden wins I reckon he'll have enough patronage to persuade 3/4 Republican Senators to vote against any Trump candidate.

Aye, I know - it's just tradition/accepted thinking/the way things are done.
It'll be interesting to see how far everyone's willing to push the idea that, if it isn't explicitly written down in law with no wiggle room, it's fair game to be ignored.
One of the weirder Supreme Court traditions is that of the judges' job for life. Imagine if an arsehole like George Foulkes fluked a seat.

32 minutes ago, btb said:

If Biden wins I reckon he'll have enough patronage to persuade 3/4 Republican Senators to vote against any Trump candidate.

The trouble is, this isn't a Trump issue. The Republicans have been drooling at the prospect of stuffing their guys into the Supreme Court for decades. Doing so is key to their hopes to re-shape American society. It's hard to imagine a candidate that Trump could put forward that they wouldn't approve.

Well, unless it's an even-handed moderate Republican. But there's little chance of that.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

One of the weirder Supreme Court traditions is that of the judges' job for life. Imagine if an arsehole like George Foulkes fluked a seat.

One of the many oddities about US politics that you can use when the subject of insanities like our monarchy comes up. The freedoms of their entire society rely upon flukes of timing and untouchable auld farts not deciding, "f**k it, I've always thought emancipation was a terrible idea".

41 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
Aye, I know - it's just tradition/accepted thinking/the way things are done.
It'll be interesting to see how far everyone's willing to push the idea that, if it isn't explicitly written down in law with no wiggle room, it's fair game to be ignored.

One did, he likes beer. 

I last looked at the likely outcome of the Senate races some months back and it was being suggested that a Democrat majority was unlikely.  It is now being suggested by fivethirtyeight that such an outcome is more than 50%.

A Democratic President and a majority in both the Senate and the House would be an opportunity to wind back some of the worse Trump excesses.  Not sure if Biden will have the bottle or will to make radical change; hopefully Harris will.

I last looked at the likely outcome of the Senate races some months back and it was being suggested that a Democrat majority was unlikely.  It is now being suggested by fivethirtyeight that such an outcome is more than 50%.
A Democratic President and a majority in both the Senate and the House would be an opportunity to wind back some of the worse Trump excesses.  Not sure if Biden will have the bottle or will to make radical change; hopefully Harris will.

Their podcast on their Senate poll modelling is quite interesting. Basically the most likely outcome is a 50/50 tie so VP is king.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

They had an advert looking for volunteers to man polling stations looking for fraud, "no legal experience necessary" a week or so ago, seems to have been withdrawn. I'd imagine a fair bit of profiling was the idea. At it yesterday...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/19/us/politics/trump-supporters-early-voting-virginia.html

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:
2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Their podcast on their Senate poll modelling is quite interesting. Basically the most likely outcome is a 50/50 tie so VP is king.

Queen.

11 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Latest gaffe from the *** Biden is that on a telecast speech he states that 200 million Americans have died due to Covid, the actual figure is 200,000!

Clown against Clown, it's a fuckin joke.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.  

God forbid anyone ever misspeaks.   

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

16 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I do not think that word means what you think it means.  

God forbid anyone ever misspeaks.   

* Camera pans to the CNN studio on a balmy October Thursday evening, Joe Biden is being interviewed *

"well, y'see, the thing is, in eh, the old days, yeah, way back eh, when..."

* Joe Biden begins to drool on to his shirt *

"things eh, were, eh, a lot more lax, y'know, for instance, y'know, you could eh, have dogs called "nig..."

* statement interrupted by bleeping sound *

"and of course two eh billion eh people died in that war, which was an awful, y'know, catastrophe"

* Joe Biden stands up, continuing his rambling diatribe as the presenter looks on bemused *

"so in answer to y'know, the question that eh you asked y'know, c'mon maaan, I  believe my position on eh inheritance tax, is quite clear y'know"

* Camera pans away as Joe Biden begins unbuttoning his trousers having already removed his belt in the middle of the studio * 

Savage Henry sitting watching this unfold at home:

This Is Fine GIF

Everyone misspeaks every single time they're on television.

Edited by J_Stewart

All the talk of hypocrisy by the Republicans trying to force their deranged fuckwit on to the Supreme Court before the election is a bit lame, all the progressives would be spitting blood if a Dem president and senate didn't do the same. All they can do is remind voters of what the existing right wing justices and Trump's new pick have said in the past, and put some pressure on wavering senators.