The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

16 hours ago, DublinMagyar said:

How certain are you now?

Ok, two judges from the 9th Circuit of appeals declined to issue a stay immediately without hearing arguments. They will make that decision once the arguments have been submitted next week. Then the earlier ruling will go before the entire 9th Circuit. This is the most left wing court (In the US that means the most likely to overturn democratic decisions) and the most overturned circuit at the Supreme Court.. What I've read says that it's likely even the 9th Circuit will uphold Trump's order, but even on the off chance that they do not that the Supreme Court will rule in Trump's favor.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's almost as if he refuses to be briefed. 

There's honesty and there's stupidity.  Trump may be one, but he's also the other.  The Republicans are going to love that...

What's wrong with what he said? Seems about right. The US has tried to walk the line between being the "good guys" and supporting our own interests. We haven't done good at either in the post Cold War world (unless you mean the extreme rich by "our own interests").

The Western left hates Putin because he's white, supports Christianity, looks after his own people first, and wants Muslims to live in Muslim lands. Western right wingers would never support Putin the the West, but the left is terrified that people might see a thing or two in what Putin supports that might be modified to Western culture.

45 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

My immediate thought when I saw it was the controversy regarding the Screaming Savage mascot for the Atlanta Braves.

Too many levels deep.  Just a bloke called Henry!  But yeah, time for a change.

3 hours ago, Deplorable said:

Ok, two judges from the 9th Circuit of appeals declined to issue a stay immediately without hearing arguments. They will make that decision once the arguments have been submitted next week. Then the earlier ruling will go before the entire 9th Circuit. This is the most left wing court (In the US that means the most likely to overturn democratic decisions) and the most overturned circuit at the Supreme Court.. What I've read says that it's likely even the 9th Circuit will uphold Trump's order, but even on the off chance that they do not that the Supreme Court will rule in Trump's favor.

What's wrong with what he said? Seems about right. The US has tried to walk the line between being the "good guys" and supporting our own interests. We haven't done good at either in the post Cold War world (unless you mean the extreme rich by "our own interests").

The Western left hates Putin because he's white, supports Christianity, looks after his own people first, and wants Muslims to live in Muslim lands. Western right wingers would never support Putin the the West, but the left is terrified that people might see a thing or two in what Putin supports that might be modified to Western culture.

If anyone is basing any model of democracy on Putin's Russia or even elements of it then democracy is fucked. Trump is an absolute arsehole, has zero of the class, gravitas or intelligence to be president and deals with anyone who thinks differently to him by hurling toys over a wide area.  That you and others find any of this acceptable is an indication of how difficult the next few years will be for both the US and the rest of us. The sooner Trump is hunted out of the White House as the imposter he is, the better. He's an utter moron. 

ETA - Putin has rendered the possibility of challenge almost impossible. First and last of any democracy should be the power of the electorate to influence change. No fucking wonder the West doesn't see things like you and those other halfwits who voted for Trump. 

Edited by HTG

7 minutes ago, HTG said:

If anyone is basing any model of democracy on Putin's Russia or even elements of it then democracy is fucked. Trump is an absolute arsehole, has zero of the class, gravitas or intelligence to be president and deals with anyone who thinks differently to him by hurling toys over a wide area.  That you and others find any of this acceptable is an indication of how difficult the next few years will be for both the US and the rest of us. The sooner Trump is hunted out of the White House as the imposter he is, the better. He's an utter moron. 

Not basing our democracy on Putin's Russia. Eastern and Western people have different cultural heritages whether you want to believe it or not. Where Putin is 100% right is fighting for his own people and against Western NGOs. Go talk to actual Russian people and you will understand where Putin's anti-Western feelings are coming from.

5 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

Not basing our democracy on Putin's Russia. Eastern and Western people have different cultural heritages whether you want to believe it or not. Where Putin is 100% right is fighting for his own people and against Western NGOs. Go talk to actual Russian people and you will understand where Putin's anti-Western feelings are coming from.

Putin has taken "fighting for his own people" to a level which is way beyond acceptable. But you're happy enough to hold that up as a model for the US. Like I said, if that's where we're headed then this will end in tears and snotters both in the US and beyond. 

30 minutes ago, HTG said:

ETA - Putin has rendered the possibility of challenge almost impossible. First and last of any democracy should be the power of the electorate to influence change. No fucking wonder the West doesn't see things like you and those other halfwits who voted for Trump. 

We elected a person who said he was going to stop Muslim immigration. I voted for him at least partially on that basis. Once elected he implemented a small step that way. Everyone in this thread is celebrating an unelected judge overturning this small step based on no cited law. The majority of Americans support Trump on this policy. We were trying to influence change as an electorate.

10 minutes ago, HTG said:

Putin has taken "fighting for his own people" to a level which is way beyond acceptable. But you're happy enough to hold that up as a model for the US. Like I said, if that's where we're headed then this will end in tears and snotters both in the US and beyond. 

No, I'm not happy with Putin. I think he's an asshole. What I think is that he's decent when it comes to non-Western leaders. Our last few Presidents have bowed down to terrible people while turning their back on a country that should be our ally in the post-Communist world.

Which makes you wonder why he said it. Most of the outcry has come from the moderate Republicans, who represent the people who are likely to be the checks and balances on his insanity, along with the courts (whom he has also attacked for no discernible reason).

It's something you might have heard from the left on Berkeley University campus in the sixties or seventies. Not from a Republican president.

My guess is he's aiming for the Bannon alt right vote on this one, but it's hard to tell.

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Henri Matisse.

A frog? No!!!!

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Which makes you wonder why he said it. Most of the outcry has come from the moderate Republicans, who represent the people who are likely to be the checks and balances on his insanity, along with the courts (whom he has also attacked for no discernible reason).

It's something you might have heard from the left on Berkeley University campus in the sixties or seventies. Not from a Republican president.

My guess is he's aiming for the Bannon alt right vote on this one, but it's hard to tell.

He probably wonders why Putin is such a villain compared to other US and UK "allies."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-hoping-donald-trump-can-get-super-bowl-ring-back-from-putin-212458233.html

Patriots owner Robert Kraft hoping Donald Trump can get Super Bowl ring back from Putin

Many are concerned about the possibility of Trump easing sanctions with Russia, but Patriots owner Robert Kraft might be one who is rooting for improved relations with Russian president Vladimir Putin. Back in 2005, Kraft met Putin and allowed him to try on his Super Bowl ring. Kraft meant it as a gesture, not as a gift. Putin pocketed the $25K piece of jewelry.

. . .

Despite various attempts during the Barack Obama administration, Kraft was never able to get the ring back. Now he’s hoping Trump, who plans to meet with Putin at some point soon, can get it back for him. Kraft told Fox Sports during Sunday’s pregame show: “I do have an emotional attachment to that ring.”

Kraft added that he’s willing to have a special ring made for Putin with his name on it. The one Putin currently owns — we assume he hasn’t hocked it — has Kraft’s name on it.

The notion that Putin is hated for his politics is as wide of the mark as the idea that Islamist terrorists hate us for our 'way of life'.

Putin is demonised solely because he is a strong leader of a reasonably strong country with an independent foreign policy, and the only check on US hegemonic goals since the end of the Cold War. It's not because he kills journalists with his bare hands or hates gay people. As Deplorable says there are a lot worse 'regimes' that we consider allies.

14 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He won't last because at some point someone will end up shooting him - probably the CIA the way things are going.

I said the exact same thing on Inauguration Day but they surely won't kill Trump to replace him with Mike Pence?

7 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I said the exact same thing on Inauguration Day but they surely won't kill Trump to replace him with Mike Pence?

Pence would be less of a threat to civilisation than Trump.

Ona different note.  This is brilliant