The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

I was brought up with the knowledge that the Battle of Cable Street was something for Londoners to be hugely proud of. Clearly I was wrong, and both sides were to blame (the blackshirts did have permission after all).

It's times like this when you can pick out the people who would have been on the side of slavery/Facism/Jim Crow/Apartheid if you could transport them back in time.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Steve Bannon calling white nationalists "clowns".

That's like being accused of anti-semitism by Hitler.

It was in a phone call to a journalist saying how much he admired a recent article. Here's the last 2 paragraphs.

Amazingly, with a nuclear showdown possible this week, the commander-in-chief is not coming home from his vacation, but conducting policy via press comments, phone calls, and tweets in between golf games. You can just imagine JFK retreating to his sailboat.

For all of his nuclear bluster, Trump may find that the price of avoiding a catastrophic war with North Korea is that the United States becomes even more of a client state of China. In the meantime, the risk of two arrogant fools blundering into a nuclear exchange is more serious than at any time since October 1962.

Bannon's fucked.

http://prospect.org/article/us-vs-north-korea-winner-china

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

20 minutes ago, McQuade said:

The old onion in the hankie routine there. 

The guy is clearly unhinged and that is sad; I have no idea what happened in this guy's life to turn him into what he has become but by any measure we should feel sorry for people like this.

What's really frightening is the easy access guys like this have to an arsenal of weapons as was shown in the Vice report.  I can understand that there always be a strong, vocal minority oppossed to any form of gun control, but why a majority of US citizens cannot get behind significant gun reform totally baffles me.

The guy is clearly unhinged and that is sad; I have no idea what happened in this guy's life to turn him into what he has become but by any measure we should feel sorry for people like this.
What's really frightening is the easy access guys like this have to an arsenal of weapons as was shown in the Vice report.  I can understand that there always be a strong, vocal minority oppossed to any form of gun control, but why a majority of US citizens cannot get behind significant gun reform totally baffles me.

Yeah, he's not all there, for whatever reason. Even in the Vice film, even ignoring the content of what he said, he gives the impression of not being mentally well.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

How is the Confederate flag less ideological than the Nazi flag? It was more or less forgotten till the Sixties, and is specifically held up as a momento of and support for White domination. How many Southern Blacks or Liberals have it flying in their garden? Like the Scottish flag my arse.

Some people would argue that the Civil War and the confederacy was about the Southern States being able to make their own decisions instead of being bossed about by the North.
That in itself sounds fair enough.
The thing is that the only decision they really cared about was the issue of slavery.
All the other issues would not have led to war.

The same people would argue that the Confederate flag is simply about identity and saying "Hey, I am from one of the old confederate states."
However, there is also a certain stigma to this - so the only people likely to do so are those like the nutjobs in Charlotteville.

By the way, the Confederate flag is "a Saltire" as is the flag of Alabama - as opposed to the flag of Scotland which is "The Saltire"
(as is the flag of Tenerife and that of the Russian Navy, which like Scotland are the flag of St. Andrew)

Edited by Fullerene

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Guns is probably the number one reason I would not like to live in America.

Centuries ago, America started off with lots of frontier country involved which meant there were lots of dangerous people about and not enough policemen and soldiers to provide protection.
If you wanted to live in a log cabin miles from anyone, nobody was going to protect you but you.

Back then it made sense but why that mindset still exists now - I have no idea but it does.

I am also astonished that anyone is entitled to have their own private arsenal that goes way beyond protecting themselves from a bear or something.

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

By the way, the Confederate flag is "a Saltire" as is the flag of Alabama - as opposed to the flag of Scotland which is "The Saltire"

(as is the flag of Tenerife and that of the Russian Navy, which like Scotland are the flag of St. Andrew)

Can someone just double check that Trump knows how to tell these two apart.

Just caught up with the Vice video and the one of the crying Nazi.
Absolutely horrifying stuff but was exactly as I expected in the Vice documentation.
That guy greetin' his wee beta eyes out is fucking hilarious. What a blubbering wreck, basically summed up with him saying "I don't fight unless I have a gun" the more of these guys that are pounded into oblivion the better, one protest and this guy has suffered a complete heads gone.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Just caught up with the Vice video and the one of the crying Nazi.
Absolutely horrifying stuff but was exactly as I expected in the Vice documentation.
That guy greetin' his wee beta eyes out is fucking hilarious. What a blubbering wreck, basically summed up with him saying "I don't fight unless I have a gun" the more of these guys that are pounded into oblivion the better, one protest and this guy has suffered a complete heads gone.

Poor guy's been preaching hatred and violence for years behind a keyboard and microphone, and has finally left his basement and popped the red pill. Bet his next move will be to say that he was all wrong and he's discovered Jesus.

22 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

This is exactly the thing that annoys me.  A flag on it's own cannot be racist or supportive of a faction.  Only the flag bearer or organisation that has attached itself to the use of a flag as a symbol of its principles can be.  For example, when I fly my Saltire proudly, I am not being racist towards the English, I am being proud of my country, but I have met many people that are also proud of the Saltire, yet hate Englishmen.  When Amazon decided to ban the sale of the Confederate battle flag, I was disappointed, because as I have mentioned it is not the flag itself that is the problem.  It is similar to the Union flag being seen as English and the Saltire being Scottish.  The Confederate battle flag is modelled on the Scottish Saltire.  

Look Away by William C. Davis is a good read to get historical fact about the U.S. Civil war.

And while I am mentioning books, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Williams is an insight into European invasion into America and the effect it had on the Native Americans.  Make sure you have a box of tissues, because our ancestors were pure evil. 

I think it has something to do with field orders and morale.  

Just ordered both those books. Cheers mate

8 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

Historically the piper and drummer would convey orders and change of tactics on the battlefield using music.  Also on long marches the pipes were intended to keep up morale and tempo. 

I have family in Alabama.  I have the state flag of Alabama and the Confederate battle flag, both of which were gifts.  Now if I decide to fly these flags, does that automatically make me racist?  Maybe I like the look of the flags and think they are cool.  The Confederate battle flag is based on the flag of St. Andrew.  

Weren't the Ku Klux Klan founders Scottish?  I think I saw something on a Neil Oliver documentary about it. 

Ulster Scots. Shame they had to take their traditions with them. Also founded the Hillbillies unsurprisingly.

P.S. I think the SS officer uniforms look really cool, with the swastika on the arm. Wouldn't wear one though because of what it represents. Hugo Boss I believe.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't actually think pipers went on surprise attacks and the historical significance of pipers to the army is not one of my areas of interest.

Not everybody loves the pipes.

Were there not instances of enemy soldiers who couldn't cover their ears and hold a gun at the same time?

26 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

Historically the piper and drummer would convey orders and change of tactics on the battlefield using music.

Any chance "The Charge of the Light Brigade" can be blamed on one piper playing a bum note?

Just now, Stinky Bone said:

The swastika was/is a symbol of peace in the Hindu religion.  The nazis stole it for their own use.  A bit ironic really.

I'm sure the designer of the original Confederate flag had the best of motives too. Meanings change.

Isn't there a pub in Paisley that has - or had - a Confederate flag in the window? Might have been taken down now, but I'm sure I can recall one from when I was there to see Aberdeen a few years ago. I remember thinking that was very strange.