The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

On 04/05/2019 at 17:22, welshbairn said:

Bernie Sanders was bare-chested, towel-draped, sitting at a table lined with vodka bottles, as he sang “This Land Is Your Land”

How I spend every weekend tbf

Watched a little of the Congressional Oversight Committee debating whether to hold Bill Barr in contempt.  It was interesting at first, but it just became, very quickly, people playing the party line - some more convincingly than others.  The Republican guy, Matt Gaetz of Florida (naturally) is without question the dumbest Representative on the Hill.  And that takes some doing, but he's a special kind of moron.

Here we go...America is now deploying another warship and a Patriot missile system to the Middle East in response to (as always and almost certainly false) 'unidentified threats' from Iran, with the killer line that 'it does not seek war'. Bolton has obviously lost patience with Trump's slow progress on prosecuting a war, any war, and is taking the lead here. We look forward to the allies of the US standing four-square in condemnation.

17 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Here we go...America is now deploying another warship and a Patriot missile system to the Middle East in response to (as always and almost certainly false) 'unidentified threats' from Iran, with the killer line that 'it does not seek war'. Bolton has obviously lost patience with Trump's slow progress on prosecuting a war, any war, and is taking the lead here. We look forward to the allies of the US standing four-square in condemnation.

One of the most laughable "pro-Trump" arguments coming from people who pretend not to be alt-right was that Trump's foreign policy was far less aggressive that Clinton's.   

Just now, NotThePars said:

Where's H_B gone to? I've seen quite a few people in recent months echoing his argument about US policy pivoting towards encircling China. One good take in 100 is a good return for him.

Its hardly an argument or his, its been a major tenet of US geopolitical strategy for about 30 years.

2 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Its hardly an argument or his, its been a major tenet of US geopolitical strategy for about 30 years.

Are you two a tag team and only one can be on the site at any given moment?

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

No that's me and your mum you're thinking of.

I'm not sure my mum's ever posted on here. I don't think the joke you're making scans either but fair play, we love to see it.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

I'm not sure my mum's ever posted on here. I don't think the joke you're making scans either but fair play, we love to see it.

We're a tag team.  Frankie Boyle would have been proud of it.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Where's H_B gone to? I've seen quite a few people in recent months echoing his argument about US policy pivoting towards encircling China. One good take in 100 is a good return for him.

I don't think it's fair to give that to him. Ignoring Kuro's slightly ill-informed take, the "pivot" was a centrepiece of Obama's foreign policy but mostly failed in its key objectives. However, the "military" side of the rebalance did see quite obvious encirclement of China. IIRC (I actually did my undergrad dissertation on this but have forgotten large chunks of it since then) it was around about this time that commentators started playing up the whole "Thucydides Trap" angle a lot more vociferously than they previously had.

47 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Not sure how they're succeeding in that, with a full frontal trade assault that will damage America almost as much as China, losing allies with every move and doing nothing to prevent the takeover of the South China Sea.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure how they're succeeding in that, with a full frontal trade assault that will damage America almost as much as China, losing allies with every move and doing nothing to prevent the takeover of the South China Sea.

Think it's in the context of Trump's attempts at a rapprochement with Russia, the softening relations with North Korea and the stuff with Japan potentially remilitarising with US backing.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

I don't think it's fair to give that to him. Ignoring Kuro's slightly ill-informed take, the "pivot" was a centrepiece of Obama's foreign policy but mostly failed in its key objectives. However, the "military" side of the rebalance did see quite obvious encirclement of China. IIRC (I actually did my undergrad dissertation on this but have forgotten large chunks of it since then) it was around about this time that commentators started playing up the whole "Thucydides Trap" angle a lot more vociferously than they previously had.

Yea, I agree. I was just being a bit silly. I read something in the latest LRB about how the US Middle East strategy is predicated on controlling not their own oil supply but those of East Asia which obvs includes China.