General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Saber Interactive & some of it's subsidiaries have broken free of Embracer after being bought in a deal worth $500 million by Beacon Interactive which is controlled by Saber founder Matthew Karch. Among the noteable subsidiaries are 4A Games (Metro Series), Zen Studios (Pinball FX Series) & 3D Realms (Duke Nukem).

Edited by GNU_Linux

1 hour ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Bought the Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection on PS5 yesterday.

Got a refund today after using Sony's support online.

I cannot fathom how they managed to make such an arse of it. I did not even try online play. What was especially apparaent was that the aim sensitivity in Battlefront 2 is utterly fecked. Even at highest setting the camera and aim felt like moving a Star Destroyer or a 747.

I can fully understand the absolute pelters it is getting.

My favourite part of this is how the Steam version - of what is two PS2 games with some slightly shinier cutscenes - is 62GB. For younger viewers, PS2 games came on DVDs which have a maximum capacity of 7GB.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

My favourite part of this is how the Steam version - of what is two PS2 games with some slightly shinier cutscenes - is 62GB. For younger viewers, PS2 games came on DVDs which have a maximum capacity of 7GB.

That's only 2GB more than what Elden Ring requires on Steam 😮😅

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2024 at 21:13, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This is a steal for anyone looking to get into retro handhelds. It can play pretty much anything up to PS1 level and is perfect for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games.

You can do this for free if you hack a 3ds, which is very simple to do yourself at home. Allegedly, of course 😃

On 01/02/2024 at 19:49, Miguel Sanchez said:

I also won my first Threes tournament earlier. It's amazing what happens when you're paired with a guy who will pass every now and then

NHL24_20240201164906.thumb.jpg.aa4b94fb40fd4023b5873e8d084a772a.jpg

It took nearly three months, but I finally won a Ones tournament.

NHL24_20240423230845.thumb.jpg.3d2c16f5f7a646f29cb4933fc5c20620.jpgNHL24_20240427203628.thumb.jpg.0831d3c0bdfebea68533932126a928af.jpg

You make a player. You play against two other people and an AI goalie, with three rounds to win a tournament. This is the sweatiest, cheapest, most horrible thing I can remember doing for a long time. I'm so glad it's done.

On 18/04/2024 at 21:13, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This is a steal for anyone looking to get into retro handhelds. It can play pretty much anything up to PS1 level and is perfect for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games.

That looks ridiculously cheap. Quite tempted.

I love China's total lack of caring about piracy. I bought my mum a portable DVD player off Amazon 5-10 years ago, and noticed that it came with a dinky game controller. Turned out that it included every single NES game and an emulator on a hardwired ROM chip. Didn't even bother including it on the listing; it was just there, like "well, obviously this electronic device comes with thousands of pirated games from the Eighties, just like our new line of hairdryers".

• 3 weeks later...

How come Lemmings isn't available to buy anywhere? It was huge about thirty years ago (for the youngsters, it was made by the studio who'd eventually release Grand Theft Auto). IIRC, it got a Windows 3.1 update in the early Nineties and nobody's bothered re-releasing the original game since then.

I'd quite like to play a remake of Lemmings 2 actually, but you'd think a cheap remake of the original would make a decent stack of cash from auld farts.

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It last had a reboot on the PS1, a mini compilation 

Looks like it's had a reboot as recently as the PS3, but I'm guessing it didn't do very well.

Funny, it was a massive franchise but I guess they ripped the arse out of it with all the sequels and people got bored. You'd think the base original would still be available for modern machines though.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Looks like it's had a reboot as recently as the PS3, but I'm guessing it didn't do very well.

Funny, it was a massive franchise but I guess they ripped the arse out of it with all the sequels and people got bored. You'd think the base original would still be available for modern machines though.

There was even an arcade version in the works but never got beyond the prototype stage as shock horror the Lemmings concept doesn't translate well to arcade. As to who owns the rights It's Sony as they bought the publisher of the Lemmings games Psygnosis in 1993.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

There was even an arcade version in the works but never got beyond the prototype stage as shock horror the Lemmings concept doesn't translate well to arcade. As to who owns the rights It's Sony as they bought the publisher of the Lemmings games Psygnosis in 1993.

They're obviously aware of their Psygnosis IP they own, considering they made a Shadow of the Beast reboot in the PS3 era. It looks like they didn't understand why Lemmings or SotB were popular in the first place, so they gave up after making a bit of an arse of it, much like Sega with the modern reimaginings they were trying around the same time.

Edit: not sure why they don't just tart up the originals and release those, though.

Edited by BFTD

10 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Lemmings was fucking outstanding, absolutely outstanding 

Nice wee memory spark there, i had it on the master system, played it so fucking much

Christ, playing a game like Lemmings with a controller must have been an arseache.

How in the name of balls does Shadow of the Beast look so much better on the Master System than it was on the Atari ST?  :lol:

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Christ, playing a game like Lemmings with a controller must have been an arseache.

How in the name of balls does Shadow of the Beast look so much better on the Master System than it was on the Atari ST?  :lol:

I canny mind any issues using the controller, mind you i was as poor as groundskeeper wullie back then so didnt know better about pc stuff etc lol

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

In news that'd baffle a time traveller from the early 80's Atari are buying the Intellivision brand & over 200 games from Intellivision Entertainment. Obviously the big asterix here is that the original companies of both are long long gone. Intellivision Entertainment will re-brand & for christ knows what reason plan to continue the Amico grift.

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 2 weeks later...

Lemmings on the Amiga was absolute class, even ma da loved it.

I downloaded an version on my laptop a few years back and it played like shite. (ported? I dunno suhin like that)

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2024 at 13:20, Plumpy said:

Looking forward to this being released, looks like a modern version of the Jungle/ Desert Storm games that I spent many a youthful hour playing. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1710820/Cleared_Hot/ 

There's a PS1 game that looks remarkably similar to that, which I cannot for the life of me remember the name of.