General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It is worth pointing out that last year's Saints Row was shit. It's one of September's free games on PS+. Which is getting a 30% price increase in a few days.

I miss the days when Jim Sterling was watchable, there'd be some good videos on this.

Jim and Steph used to be essential weekly viewing, but they seem to now only concentrate on obscure negative stuff that I'm sure deserves a spotlight, but is hard to follow sometimes. It must be difficult being a prominent Trans person in an industry full of the absolute worst people, but I miss the days when they would take arsehole corporations to the cleaners every week.

I'd just assumed that Jim had virtually retired from YouTube - still watch their videos when they pop up, but last I saw it seemed like they were doing more Twitch streaming of decent games, which just didn't have the same appeal as the old exasperated commentary on whatever shite was being vomited out by Steam back in the day.

I suppose it's a bit cruel to want someone to spend their days researching the most depressing stories of capitalist abuse, playing the most feeble excuses for rip-off scam games, all while fielding a torrent of constant transphobic hate. They say they're happier than ever doing what they're currently doing, so fair enough considering they made about a lifetime of content during the workaholic phase.

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing AC Valhalla for the second time and have spent a scary amount of time playing Orlog (mini dice game you play with random NPCs). 

Everytime I've ever tried to play the Witcher i end up spending hours on Gwent and on Star Wars Survivor I spend far too long playing the wee jedi chess game. 

I think I'm just a sucker for these games within the games. 

Anyone else found themselves addicted to in game mini games, any other good examples? 

Watch Dogs: Legion allows you to get pished out your face and then play darts in the pub. Can't "accidentally" throw it into the back of someone's head, but it's good fun.

CoD: Cold War also has some 80s-style arcade machines on one of the levels, you can play them as long as you wish (whilst also being berated by your partner for being, effectively, a f*d)

Have just bought and currently downloading Assasins Creed: Mirage. Game looks fuckin' fantastic and has the classic AC look about it. Not really a fan of the latest instalments of the franchise, but have high hopes for this.

13 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Might as well stick this here, any of you gaming nerds know the best way to play a NES and SNES on a modern TV, and if it actually works well on it.  Short of getting my hands on a CRT tv somehow.

Avoid those cheap x console to hdmi adapters on amazon etc as they are garbage shite. Tl;dr they are built using parts not designed or suited to signals sent by games consoles. Best solution for something fairly simple would be the RAD2X line of cables. Pricey but excellent quality.

There's also the option of a dedicated scaler like the retrotink line of products.

Edited by GNU_Linux

39 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Avoid those cheap x console to hdmi adapters on amazon etc as they are garbage shite. Tl;dr they are built using parts not designed or suited to signals sent by games consoles. Best solution for something fairly simple would be the RAD2X line of cables. Pricey but excellent quality.

There's also the option of a dedicated scaler like the retrotink line of products.

Ok thanks, I think that RAD2X cable thing is exactly what I'm looking for

Seems like newer ActiBlizzard titles won't appear on Game Pass until c. 2024. A worthwhile wait for loads of expensive games for (sort of) free.

Although, I can't help but feel that Microsoft owning CoD means the final whistle has been blown on Halo. They (343) already are fed the scraps by MS, and I doubt MS will do much to revive a franchise they let hit rock bottom, when they have their shiny new toy in CoD.

Get a Halo/CoD crossover done. No need for any more games after that. We will have reached the peak of our powers.

Kid me would be well chuffed as I have finally gotten my first racing wheel and pedal kit.

Adult me is fucking buzzing as well. 

The force feedback is mental, much more powerful than I expected.