Ayr United v Dundee United 10/12/2016

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back after sharing a journey home with an Arab. Fortunately he's an honest guy and his assessment of the game agreed with mine.

Basically an undeserved win / loss. Ayr bossed the game and I can't really believe that we didn't score (the one deflected over the bar was ridiculous).

Dundee utd have an outstanding defence. Centre halves absolutely dominated our powder puff attack and headed away our umpteen corners. When we did play through them they somehow got a last gasp deflection.

The goal also showed the difference in having quality strikers. We just don't have a player with that pace and power up front.

Our defence looks pretty solid. Meggat sold the jerseys a bit for the goal (why did he not just foul him??!) but the other three had excellent games.

Midfield was pretty good too. Unlike itzdrk I thought we did create openings and maybe if Harkins or Forrest were on a game we'd have won. Those two players just didn't play well today - things didn't come off for them. The rest of the midfield battled hard and generally dominated one of the best teams in the league.

Gutted but proud of the team.

Dundee United have been far the poorest team to visit Somerset this year. We should have had them dead and buried but again our lack of a striker has let us down. In saying that, teams who play poorly and win usually have a crack at the title so fair dues to Dundee United for getting the 3 points, Good support down as well (702 away fans.)

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Felt that Dundee United just sat off us content that we weren't going to hurt them.  We had absolutely loads of the ball but can't create anything.  A striker won't fix our problems until we have some genuine creative players.  

His Harkins not basically a walking football Pirlo?

43 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Dundee United have been far the poorest team to visit Somerset this year. We should have had them dead and buried but again our lack of a striker has let us down. In saying that, teams who play poorly and win usually have a crack at the title so fair dues to Dundee United for getting the 3 points, Good support down as well (702 away fans.)

There is absolutely no chance they were worse than we were.

Apart from the two center halfs no one really impressed me in the DU team, the number 10 and the right back were howling. apart from two corners and the goal I don't think there was any other time they were in the Ayr 18 yard box.

Ayr dominated the whole match and had maybe 4 efforts on goal, I don't think, other than Adams chance we bothered Bell all game, Harkins was poor and I'd have taken him off for McGuffie, we needed someone to be a bit more direct, as we have all season ans I don't think Nesbit is the answer. Meggat was poor also, maybe it was just the angle but I thought he was more than close enough to clear the ball before it crossed the line.

37 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Apart from the two center halfs no one really impressed me in the DU team, the number 10 and the right back were howling. apart from two corners and the goal I don't think there was any other time they were in the Ayr 18 yard box.

Ayr dominated the whole match and had maybe 4 efforts on goal, I don't think, other than Adams chance we bothered Bell all game, Harkins was poor and I'd have taken him off for McGuffie, we needed someone to be a bit more direct, as we have all season ans I don't think Nesbit is the answer. Meggat was poor also, maybe it was just the angle but I thought he was more than close enough to clear the ball before it crossed the line.

Nisbet's confidence seems completely shot now unfortunately. Has had a few excellent games but would get someone else in January instead if we are able to.

At the very least yesterday we deserved a point today. No one will seriously argue against that, but winning whilst not playing well blah, blah

A lack of a cutting edge seriously cost us and I know he's just back from injury but Gilmour's corners when he came on were embarrassing. About four times in a row he couldn't beat the first defender with them.

Harkins had his poorest game that I have witnessed and I thought Meggat wasn't clever all game(Just bring the fucker down!!! Really naïve stuff), other than that we played really well.

If we don't start taking what we deserve from these games it could be a long depressing season.

Good to see such a large noisy support coming down for the game. Dundee United definitely have the best East Coast fans.

We've bet our whole season on having one decent though injury prone striker.  Only defence for the team is that we've had a tough run of games hibs/Falkirk/Dundee Utd at home and raith/Dunfermline away.  I do wish McCall would at least try something different as a 4-4-1-1 with Forrest at centre forward doesn't work and hasn't worked all season.  Cairney in particular would be better more centrally. Adams is useful in a battle (and we'll need that in the coming weeks), but is very limited in a football match.  I've been torn all season over the Meggatt v Boyle debate, but they both look pretty shaky at the moment - having turn about at left back probably isn't helping.  

5 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

At the very least yesterday we deserved a point today. No one will seriously argue against that, but winning whilst not playing well blah, blah

A lack of a cutting edge seriously cost us and I know he's just back from injury but Gilmour's corners when he came on were embarrassing. About four times in a row he couldn't beat the first defender with them.

Harkins had his poorest game that I have witnessed and I thought Meggat wasn't clever all game(Just bring the fucker down!!! Really naïve stuff), other than that we played really well.

If we don't start taking what we deserve from these games it could be a long depressing season.

Good to see such a large noisy support coming down for the game. Dundee United definitely have the best East Coast fans.

:lol:

I thought Telfer was (surprisingly) a bit of a dirty b*****d yesterday, constant fouls in the middle of the park. Did show some lovely skill at times but I expected a bit more from him.

Is Tony Andreu not interested in playing anymore? Shadow of the player that Hamilton had.

Archived