There's yer dinner

I've no interest in Xmas but will have Aylesbury duck next Sunday for my eldest's 18th. Just the 4 of us.

On Hogmanay I've ordered 3 hare and will pan-fry the fillets and make soup/stock from the rest.  There will be 7 of us.  Fireworks at midnight.

So what are P&Bers feasting on over the festive?  When?  Who is cooking?  Who will be in your company?  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mum tried to hit me with some shite about not doing Christmas dinner this year and instead going to volunteer at the homeless shelter.

I accepted this and later on in the conversation she said something along the lines of "So what will you do from next year when the baby is here - just have one year at our house and one year at Mrs Dindeleux's mums house?".

I replied with "If I'm going to the in-laws for Christmas dinner this year then I will take the baby there every year from now".

She phoned back a little while later to tell me she was doing Christmas dinner this year.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

In laws for Xmas dinner. Its going to be fucking murder.

There is no way it can be worse than my in-laws cooking.

Last years New Years Day dinner was a sirloin steak that had been in the oven for 45 mins.  I didn't get the option for rare, medium etc.

Christmas at my sister's she is going to cook up venison as in her words 'it's much tastier and cheaper than turkey' I would agree, I've been assured there will be roast potatoes and honey roast parsnips so I'm happy. My fiance and my sister and my brother in law and my sister's friend from Sweden will be there.

At my parents on Christmas Day. No idea what we're having there yet but I'm not a fussy. Food is good.

On New Years Day we're having my in-laws and my wife's aunt and uncle over to ours. I'm doing a peppered beef joint, and an orange-glazed gammon joint from an excellent Stirlingshire farm shop, with roast tatties and all the usual trimmings.

Tbh I think I'm looking forward to pigging out on good food more than getting stuck into the beer!

I am by no means a food snob, but I am decent at cooking and like good grub. The in laws just arent into food. Plain stuff all the time. As a result, this dinner will be totally bog standard. Already been told "we'll not bother with a starter cos you don't really need one do you?"

I await, "we'll just buy frozen roast tatties cos they are just as good"

FFS Christmas is once a year make a wee effort to make it special. Spend a bit of cash.

Aye it's exactly the same at my girlfriends parents house. Microwaved mashed potatoes. Never any kind of sauce on anything.

I'm definitely not a food snob either but I would put some consideration into what others liked if I was offering them dinner.

At my parents on Christmas Day. No idea what we're having there yet but I'm not a fussy. Food is good.

On New Years Day we're having my in-laws and my wife's aunt and uncle over to ours. I'm doing a peppered beef joint, and an orange-glazed gammon joint from an excellent Stirlingshire farm shop, with roast tatties and all the usual trimmings.

Tbh I think I'm looking forward to pigging out on good food more than getting stuck into the beer!

Surely preparing food with shite all over your hands will affect the taste?

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

FFS Christmas is once a year make a wee effort to make it special. Spend a bit of cash.

5 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm definitely not a food snob either but I would put some consideration into what others liked if I was offering them dinner.

I feel distinctly odd agreeing with you two but you're both on the money.  Spend a few bob and make an effort.

18 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Easy now, he'll PM people and try start a dotting campaign against you! 

I'm actually shocked he is back here.  I'd have such a riddy (no pun intended) over my actions that I would simply admit defeat and stay away.

Although he does believe that throwing shite at people and teaching his daughter to abuse homeless women are acceptable so I probably shouldn't be as surprised.

Really busy run up to Christmas for both the wife and I , so although we are invited to both our parents' houses , we have decided to politely decline and stay at home with just our daughter .

I enjoy cooking and am pretty decent at it , so will do my prep on Xmas Eve , then after visiting family for a few hrs on the day , will prepare a full 3 course traditional turkey dinner for us .

Usually a £5 per bottle supermarket wine drinker , but like to push the boat out with a couple of really nice bottles as accompaniment .

After dinner junior will be off out partying with her boyfriend and pals , leaving us suitably bloated on the couch with alcohol and chocolate before falling asleep on the couch by about 9pm .

With the workload we have at the moment , although maybe a wee bit anti-social , that sounds fucking fantastic .

Archived