Malky Mackay

lanky_ffc

On 12/20/2016 at 16:39, Bairn in Exile said:

Ah well, I have salved my conscience and done by bit for the cause. Today I sent an email to Falkirk FC and proposed that should Malky Mackay ever come a calling that they should show him the door. I suggested that he might be better off sending the club a text message instead as that seems to be his forte.

I might be getting ahead of myself but I also asked them to kick out the idea of Celtic Colts and “They Who Must Not Be Named” Colts being admitted into the SPFL, especially at the expense of 2 of the Lowland League Clubs. In a perfect world, no entry at all.

I’m not holding my breath but at least I have tried.

Well, I have to say that Falkirk FC have been really good in responding to my email. First of all, I got an email confirming receipt of my email from Kieran Koszary the Commercial Director advising that Doug Henderson the Chairman would be replying directly.

24 hours later I got an email from Doug Henderson acknowledging my concerns but without any damning condemnation of the SFA re: Malky Mackay and Celtic and Sevco Colts. Still, my worries were noted and if enough of us do write to our clubs then perhaps our thoughts will be taken into consideration when it comes the time to vote on allowing the Colt sides into the SPFL.

Again, respect to Doug Henderson and Falkirk FC.

Re: Malky Mackay, I think that we have been well and truly “Malkied” by the SFA. First of all, they announce Mackay’s appointment and the majority of posters on P & B are up in arms.  48 hours later, they make the announcement re Sevco and Celtic Colts coming into the SPFL. We take our eye of the Malky Mackay situation and concentrate on the Colts. As far as the SFA are concerned, they’ve had a result.

Various Colts threads, 25 pages, last contribution an hour ago.

Malky Mackay thread, 9 pages, last contribution on Wednesday

I’ll post this on both threads in the hope of re-igniting the Malky Mackay thread.

I know it's a bit football hipster and all that but here's a presentation on the success of Icelandic football by Siggi Eyjólfsson, who coached the Icelandic women's team and was head of coach education at the KSI

Not one mention of what they do at corners, or how much they run about and get stuck in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2016 at 13:31, forameus said:

I don't think they should have a choice though.  The SFA should be the governing body dictating to the clubs.  By all means the clubs have their say in how the game is run, but the main national governing body should always be above all.  

I'm inclined to agree with that, but then they appoint Malky Mackay and propose turning the lower leagues into a training exercise for the only clubs they're interested in.

More and more Scottish football fans see the SFA as the enemy now, and it's hard to disagree when you get glimpses of their ideas for the future.

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm inclined to agree with that, but then they appoint Malky Mackay and propose turning the lower leagues into a training exercise for the only clubs they're interested in.

More and more Scottish football fans see the SFA as the enemy now, and it's hard to disagree when you get glimpses of their ideas for the future.

Chicken and egg perhaps though.  Are they doing that because they know the clubs have the power?  If they thought they could just impose their will with impunity, would they do things differently?  Rhetorical question of course.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Fairly extensive and comprehensive argument from Motherwell's COO Alan Burrows against the apparent arbitrary proposals re: Elite Academy aspect of Project Brave.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/15002576.Exclusive__Motherwell_CEO_Alan_Burrows_on_the_provincial_pitfalls_of_Project_Brave/

Good article,  soon as we get a 20 team full time proffesinal league the better for all. Then just replicate that 20 team league with youth teams job done.  They won't do it as that means extra cost and would eat into there troff

A 20 team league would be fucking dull. I'd rather play everyone 4 times times in a small league that at least has the illusion of something to play for with the split than watch week after week of utterly meaningless midtable clashes.

1 hour ago, forkboy said:

A 20 team league would be fucking dull. I'd rather play everyone 4 times times in a small league that at least has the illusion of something to play for with the split than watch week after week of utterly meaningless midtable clashes.

Wow  what a shite post.  So playing to make the split is good.......haha.  how about in 20 team top league the winner getc champs league then 2nd europa league with the next 4 playing offor for the last European place  that way your actually achieving something other than just trying to make the split.  Not rocket science just simple idea.

4 times a season is honking 

So this season you'd have: Celtic running away with the league; four clubs scrapping for automatic EL place; one EL playoff place left for the chasing pack; like of Ayr, Dumbarton and St Mirren scrapping at the bottom... and the remaining dozen or so clubs playing for what exactly? By the autumn over half the league would have known they were too good to finish in the last couple of places, but not good enough to qualify for Europe - perhaps at most a vain hope of a single EL playoff place aside - and the rest of the season is going through the motions. That's in a season where things are quite tight, too. Conceivably might get Celtic + Rangers clear atop and a couple of part-timers clear at bottom.

It's the greater competitiveness of a smaller division - and playing larger clubs 3/4 times instead of exchanging that for smaller or part-time clubs - which means clubs won't vote for it.

Lots of criticism of the way things are run is valid, but this particular aspect is perfectly understandable IMO.

EDIT: In practice your EL playoff would be quite difficult, anyway, as you wouldn't know how many slots the league had until after the Scottish Cup Final.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Bored, so how's about this:

16 team league, 3 relegation spots

winner gets CL slot

second gets EL place

third - sixth play off for other EL place

thirteenth-fifteenth get incorporated into the relegation playoffs (for two of the relegation places)

sixteenth gets relegated automatically

that means the only 'safe zone' is seventh - twelfth, i.e. 6 places, but if you're close to the relegation or Euro scraps then your games certainly won't be meaningless

I imagine a 16 team league would mean some form of continued split as well, otherwise we'd only have a 30 game league season for some teams 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Played Edinburgh for the 3rd time today, wouldn't of mattered a f**k if it was them or another team to me tbh

3 time in the League?  That's brutal to me home n away once a season is the only way to get some credibility back.  The last time we had 18 team top division celtic won the European cup and I, m sure abroath were plying there trade.  The fact is all the best players we have produced were when we had an 18 team top division since its demise the quality has dropped year after year. 

It's not brutal at all infact I'm pretty sure nobody actually cares, never heard anyone at Gayfield moan about it

They're league games worth 3 points, I'm there to watch us don't give a shit who we play

And not sure there's actually a link to be made in that second part

3 time in the League?  That's brutal to me home n away once a season is the only way to get some credibility back.  The last time we had 18 team top division celtic won the European cup and I, m sure abroath were plying there trade.  The fact is all the best players we have produced were when we had an 18 team top division since its demise the quality has dropped year after year. 

The last time we had an 18 team top division was 74-75.

1 hour ago, kenny131 said:

Equally we barely qualified for anything with an 18-team top division. Late 1960s were also the days of 2pts for a win, 2-3-5, and pre-decimal currency. Should those come back, too? Fact is a lot has changed in 50yrs. We had great success at national team and club level in the 1980s with 10/12 team top divisions playing 36/44 games.

Only countries in Europe with top divisions of 18-20 nowadays are England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Turkey. Basically the biggest and richest.

As I observed on another forum recently - Scottish fans need to be into their 50s now to even have proper recall of a big division playing twice.

It's highly (incredibly so) unlikely but you could play a team 11 times a season (4 x League, Challenge Cup, League Cup Groups, League Cup knock-out rounds, Scottish Cup plus replay, Play-off home and away). We've played Dundee United four times so far this season and still have to play them twice in the league, we're both still in the Scottish Cup and with our recent run we might yet play them in the play-off.

11 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's highly (incredibly so) unlikely but you could play a team 11 times a season (4 x League, Challenge Cup, League Cup Groups, League Cup knock-out rounds, Scottish Cup plus replay, Play-off home and away). We've played Dundee United four times so far this season and still have to play them twice in the league, we're both still in the Scottish Cup and with our recent run we might yet play them in the play-off.

If you do play united 10 times the the biggest crowd will almost certainly be at the 10th fixture.