Malky Mackay

lanky_ffc

At what point are the SFA and Regan going to be held to account? Bear in mind that McClair lasted 17 months and quit as he was unsuitable for the role "As performance director, he found himself spending more time lobbying and presenting in the boardroom. It became apparent that this was neither a comfortable or tenable situation in the long term." So to recap, they literally appointed someone whose skillset was incompatible with the role. http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1961&newsCategoryID=3&newsID=16414

To succeed McClair rather than going for a safe pair of hands, who has experience in the job and may actually have a chance of implementing some sort of positive structure they've wilfully appointed a PR disaster whose reputation is utterly toxic. Hats off to the SFA it takes an astounding level of stupidity to be able to look at a list of candidates and pick the one with the racist, misogynist, homophobic, anti-semitic scandal on his CV and describe him as "the outstanding candidate".

25 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

If this affair has proved anything, it's that the SFA simply don't care what the football community in Scotland think about what they do. Time after time, they either do the unthinkable or at least attempt it. The only time that the fans managed to get them to change direction was over Rangers (who can forget Regan's "civil unrest" statement?), but even that was down to pressure on individual club chairmen and not the blazers.

So the question is, how can the fans stop being angry and start getting even, without affecting Scottish football as a whole?  I genuinely haven't a clue, but any suggestions would be welcome, short of breaking the law.

Show Malky the red card protest at the next Scotland game?

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

At what point are the SFA and Regan going to be held to account? 

Threads like this piss me off.  The SFA are accountable and Regan can only operate within the confines of the powers that the SFA Board give him.

Ultimately it is the various clubs and organisations involved in Scottish football that are responsible for the appointment of the SFA Board.

Has a single angry contributor to this thread written to the SFA/SPFL/their own club to complain about this appointment?  I know I haven't.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Threads like this piss me off.  The SFA are accountable and Regan can only operate within the confines of the powers that the SFA Board give him.

Ultimately it is the various clubs and organisations involved in Scottish football that are responsible for the appointment of the SFA Board.

Has a single angry contributor to this thread written to the SFA/SPFL/their own club to complain about this appointment?  I know I haven't.

Well what would be the point of that? As you've explained in your second sentence Regan has executive authority, so it's like a shareholder writing to the non-exec directors on the board of a company asking them to sack the MD for appointing a racist HR director.  In that case you have the option of selling your shares if you're pissed off, or if you're a customer you have the choice of buying elsewhere. Except we all know football is different because we don't have that leverage, so Regan can sit in his office at Hampden safe in the knowledge that if he looks after his blazer wearing acolytes, he has a job for life.  That pisses me off, not threads like this.

38 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

Well what would be the point of that? As you've explained in your second sentence Regan has executive authority, so it's like a shareholder writing to the non-exec directors on the board of a company asking them to sack the MD for appointing a racist HR director.  In that case you have the option of selling your shares if you're pissed off, or if you're a customer you have the choice of buying elsewhere. Except we all know football is different because we don't have that leverage, so Regan can sit in his office at Hampden safe in the knowledge that if he looks after his blazer wearing acolytes, he has a job for life.  That pisses me off, not threads like this.

The point would be that IF enough folk are really interested and IF enough folk wrote to one or more of these bodies then it MIGHT  achieve something whereas the same as always bitching on here won't achieve anything.  But hey ho it's the P&B way I suppose.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

At what point are the SFA and Regan going to be held to account? Bear in mind that McClair lasted 17 months and quit as he was unsuitable for the role "As performance director, he found himself spending more time lobbying and presenting in the boardroom. It became apparent that this was neither a comfortable or tenable situation in the long term." So to recap, they literally appointed someone whose skillset was incompatible with the role. http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1961&newsCategoryID=3&newsID=16414

To succeed McClair rather than going for a safe pair of hands, who has experience in the job and may actually have a chance of implementing some sort of positive structure they've wilfully appointed a PR disaster whose reputation is utterly toxic. Hats off to the SFA it takes an astounding level of stupidity to be able to look at a list of candidates and pick the one with the racist, misogynist, homophobic, anti-semitic scandal on his CV and describe him as "the outstanding candidate".

To be fair to McClair, he left an excellent job to do it and seems to have met a lot of boardroom resistance. He's a very droll guy and trying to sell a strategy to halfwit skeptics probably wasn't his ideal situation.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The point would be that IF enough folk are really interested and IF enough folk wrote to one or more of these bodies then it MIGHT  achieve something whereas the same as always bitching on here won't achieve anything.  But hey ho it's the P&B way I suppose.

Aye, like me writing to old Dougie Rae would make a difference.

After seeing the reaction to this it looks like the SFA have lost all support from all corners, well, apart from ex pros and guys in jobs in Scottish football.

I've stuck up for them on several occasions, but this appointment has gone one step too far. A chance to make a progressive appointment to get people back on side with everything that's going on with the shambolic first team and they go and appoint Mackay.

I'm really not sure there's many fans at all if any who are happy with the suits running our game. Infact I'm sure the vast majority would like them to gtf.

Fucking arseholes.

1 minute ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

To be fair to McClair, he left an excellent job to do it and seems to have met a lot of boardroom resistance. He's a very droll guy and trying to sell a strategy to halfwit skeptics probably wasn't his ideal situation.

That post wasn't intended as a dig at McClair or what he did/didn't do tbh. I totally get that sometimes things simply don't work out but it's difficult not to read Regan's statement and think that there's a pretty fundamental disconnect between what all parties expected the role to be. Either way, it was an unsuccessful appointment and regardless of the circumstances around that you'd think there would be an element of accountability from the SFA.

8 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

(i) No excuses, just bad luck.

(ii) Speak for yourself. If some goon was feeding me racist, sexist homophobic bullshit I'd tell him where to go. I certainly wouldn't join in. Granted, I'm fortunate enough not to be a racist, sexist, homophobic idiot. 

(iii) More bad luck.

(iv) Unfortunately for Malky he'd been sending screeds of offensive material on his work phone. Will the bad luck never end?

Where did I say that any of this is down to bad luck? The guy's been a feckin idiot and been caught.  "Screeds".......press reports say 3, or was it four?  Still a feckin idiot.

Just now, capt_oats said:

That post wasn't intended as a dig at McClair or what he did/didn't do tbh. I totally get that sometimes things simply don't work out but it's difficult not to read Regan's statement and think that there's a pretty fundamental disconnect between what all parties expected the role to be. Either way, it was an unsuccessful appointment and regardless of the circumstances around that you'd think there would be an element of accountability from the SFA.

I agree that the role is ill-defined and has very quickly become a poisoned chalice, probably in part because of that. There should absolutely be greater accountability from the SFA.

I've seen people on here calling McClair a 'pish-soaked alky' based on him having a red face (which was never an issue for Ferguson) but within the game he's seen as an unusually bright guy and he seems to have taken on the role for the right reasons. I mean, based on what we've seen, how many of you guys would like to work for Regan & co?

Just now, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I agree that the role is ill-defined and has very quickly become a poisoned chalice, probably in part because of that. There should absolutely be greater accountability from the SFA.

I've seen people on here calling McClair a 'pish-soaked alky' based on him having a red face (which was never an issue for Ferguson) but within the game he's seen as an unusually bright guy and he seems to have taken on the role for the right reasons. I mean, based on what we've seen, how many of you guys would like to work for Regan & co?

In honesty my only issue with McClair is his ill-fated 2nd stint at Fir Park.

Shitting Christ. I think everyone else has already covered everything that need be said about this.

So, who's the most likely culprit to have arranged a cushy pay cheque for their untouchable mate? Presumably Regan himself isn't big pals with Mackay.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We need a leader, Granny. Cometh the hour, etc.

The forum could really use a section for fan action. If folk can spend so much of their time trying to oust other posters, surely a few minutes helping to STRONGLY ADVISE the SFA about their conduct shouldn't be out of the question.

39 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Where did I say that any of this is down to bad luck? The guy's been a feckin idiot and been caught.  "Screeds".......press reports say 3, or was it four?  Still a feckin idiot.

Pay attention back there. It was your repeated insistence that his downfall was caused or abetted by misfortune which piqued my interest. I even referenced the particular parts of your post I was referring to. Or is there a distinction between bad luck and being unfortunate which I'm missing?

Was it three hateful texts? Is that what you think, that it was three texts?

Edited by Pull My Strings

20 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We need a leader, Granny. Cometh the hour, etc.

The forum could really use a section for fan action. If folk can spend so much of their time trying to oust other posters, surely a few minutes helping to STRONGLY ADVISE the SFA about their conduct shouldn't be out of the question.

I'm certainly not the man Dave.  I prefer to spend my time venting my spleen on a football forum.