Virgin media

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Virgin are actively throttling back for customers streaming 3rd party apps and IPTV.

Haven't experienced throttling with Virgin and I've used them in my current house and old one for years. The day they do is the day I cancel everything. And I use a ton, probably stray close to a terrabyte a month.

I've only experienced IPTV blocks when the EPL games are on. It's the same for Sky, BT, EE, etc. They are under pressure to do so now.
I just got an email from Virgin this morning saying my bill is going up by £3.50 a month from March as they are continuing to invest in their network. So basically it's to halp pay for their new 5G network which I don't have.
Yes it does seem to be during EPL games that the iptv Telegram chat goes mental and its always Virgin customers. I'm with BT and have been unaffected so far.

A VPN is a must when using IPTV. I have Virgin broadband and they throttle and block during the EPL matches. Thankfully my supplier signs us up with Surfshark when we extend our deals. Best money ive ever spent

As for Virgin as a company, they are hit and miss. They were expecting me to fork out a small fortune for a broadband only contract when my current deal was almost finished. I told them to close my account once my contract was up and they called me back about a week later to give me a better deal than i was previously on but with a quicker speed. As long as people are willing to be brave rather than jump at the first deal they offer, you tend to do ok

A VPN is a must when using IPTV. I have Virgin broadband and they throttle and block during the EPL matches. Thankfully my supplier signs us up with Surfshark when we extend our deals. Best money ive ever spent
As for Virgin as a company, they are hit and miss. They were expecting me to fork out a small fortune for a broadband only contract when my current deal was almost finished. I told them to close my account once my contract was up and they called me back about a week later to give me a better deal than i was previously on but with a quicker speed. As long as people are willing to be brave rather than jump at the first deal they offer, you tend to do ok
Yeah the iptv supplier i use was giving his customer's Into the dark vpns for nothing but I've been using NORD which works well.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who switched to VM from another provider did you have to cancel with that provider or did Virgin do it for you? Due to get VM installed in a couple of weeks and I think they said they would handle the switch from BT and I wouldn't have to do anything but not 100%

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm going to be looking for a way to complain my way out of a contract. My upload speed keeps dropping to nil multiple times a day and it's booting me out of work. Been like this for 6 weeks and they don't really sound all that bothered about it when I phone up. 

"Just monitor it over 7 days and come back to us" f**k off, I can't work nor speak to people at work and I'm not doing your job of monitoring what speeds I get for a week while I twiddle my thumbs. 

Hopefully the length of time I've been calling them over the last month and a half will dissuade them from trying to charge me through the nose of leaving. I pay for TV I don't even watch as well, time to get a them to f**k. 

Edited by GiGi

Regarding switching these days just chuck your postcode into a handful of comparison sites (they all seem to return different deals) and you'll be armed with a bunch of prices to go to Virgin, Sky or whoever with. 

If I can get this contract cancelled early I'll be going over to Zen or someone else. Can get their 500 or 900mb for less than I pay at the minute for 200mb. 

2 hours ago, keithgy said:

We ended up going for the 200mb package and it holds steady the WiFi itself does not have a good range and I had to buy an extender.

The Hub 3 or whatever the fck you call it is a terrible router compared to the previous Hub. There is a Hub 4 out now that i am able to upgrade to for free but have concerns, it surely can't be as crap as this one right enough.

Our broadband was terrible several months ago, like everything device kept cutting out. I called up and they switched us onto another bandwith that ended in 5G and it has been much better around our house. I could have done that myself had I known there was another bandwith to switch other too. Still have a wifi extender upstairs to make sure, but the normal wifi is strong enough.

• 2 months later...
On 13/08/2021 at 20:54, sergie's no1 fan said:

The Hub 3 or whatever the fck you call it is a terrible router compared to the previous Hub. There is a Hub 4 out now that i am able to upgrade to for free but have concerns, it surely can't be as crap as this one right enough.

Our broadband was terrible several months ago, like everything device kept cutting out. I called up and they switched us onto another bandwith that ended in 5G and it has been much better around our house. I could have done that myself had I known there was another bandwith to switch other too. Still have a wifi extender upstairs to make sure, but the normal wifi is strong enough.

I think the 4 is indeed as crap as the 3, something to do with the Puma chip inside it or something. Bought my own router recently, put the hub 3 into modem mode and it is much more stable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been fucked over by virgin recently.

I got the January price rise letter and phoned up to have that knocked off (Martin Lewis told me to). They did it but then the confirmation email had a completely different agreed deal - charging me 9 quid pm more.

That annoyed me.

This evening I phoned up to cancel, hoping for a last minute deal, and got one. I got offered my current deal (2 boxes, sky sports, bt sports) for £60pm.

But the woman said there was an error so I was to phone back in 10 minutes and she'd put a note on on my account. I did this, and no-one could then offer me that deal. They agreed the note was there, and that I'd been given that offer, but now they couldn't confirm it. Ended up at the complaints dept and have now terminated my contract.

17 years of virgin and it looks like I'm finally done. The missus has agreed to get an alternative set up but I'm still half expecting a phone call offering me the deal at 60.

But f**k me what a mess of a company. That was 90 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

20 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I got the January price rise letter and phoned up to have that knocked off (Martin Lewis told me to). They did it but then the confirmation email had a completely different agreed deal - charging me 9 quid pm more.

That annoyed me.

This evening I phoned up to cancel, hoping for a last minute deal, and got one. I got offered my current deal (2 boxes, sky sports, bt sports) for £60pm.

But the woman said there was an error so I was to phone back in 10 minutes and she'd put a note on on my account. I did this, and no-one could then offer me that deal. They agreed the note was there, and that I'd been given that offer, but now they couldn't confirm it. Ended up at the complaints dept and have now terminated my contract.

17 years of virgin and it looks like I'm finally done. The missus has agreed to get an alternative set up but I'm still half expecting a phone call offering me the deal at 60.

But f**k me what a mess of a company. That was 90 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago, got a letter informing me of a rise from £42.50 to £46.50, got someone to look at my deal and got it back down to £40, happy days. Email confirmation however didn't match what had been agreed and I had to call them about 6 times in total before they managed to send me an email with the correct agreed price in writing, was losing the will to live by this point.

You may well get another call trying to retain you, if you are really not fussed whether you leave or not then if the call comes use it to really turn the screw on them for a price you are happy with.

Had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago, got a letter informing me of a rise from £42.50 to £46.50, got someone to look at my deal and got it back down to £40, happy days. Email confirmation however didn't match what had been agreed and I had to call them about 6 times in total before they managed to send me an email with the correct agreed price in writing, was losing the will to live by this point.
You may well get another call trying to retain you, if you are really not fussed whether you leave or not then if the call comes use it to really turn the screw on them for a price you are happy with.
Absolutely. They seem to be a shambles at the moment.

That annoyed me.

We got the phonecall back, offering us £68pm for 18 months, and we've accepted.

We've got sky sports, bt sports, and 2 boxes so that's probably a fair price.

The woman on the phone said she couldn't defend how they'd handled the negotiation. She said in 18 months time weve to phone back, refuse their first offer, and then cancel. At that stage someone from her dept would phone us and give us the best price.

I wanted 60 but I had reluctantly agreed 70 to begin with, so 68 without any hassle of changing seems pretty fair.

14 hours ago, pandarilla said:

We got the phonecall back, offering us £68pm for 18 months, and we've accepted.

We've got sky sports, bt sports, and 2 boxes so that's probably a fair price.

Is that including broadband and landline, very decent price!