Old Firm Colts in L2

Yet another Chairperson completely disregarding fan opinion, what makes it even more disappointing is she's in charge of a club moving towards fan ownership. 'The main challenge would appear to be financial.' No Mrs Budge the main challenge is it isn't wanted by fans and fans are more important than financial obstacles. 

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2018/03/29/hearts-owner-targets-15-million-turnover-thanks-to-new-main-stand-reveals-potential-1-million-pitch-plan-talks-singing-section-foundation-of-hearts-takeover-and-colts-celtic-rangers/ 

She isn't - probably most Hearts fans would be in favour as would most Premier club fans. It is the lower league fans in general who don't want it

So let me get this perfectly clear, Anne Budge believes that Scotland has too many senior clubs, and so to combat this she'd like to enter more clubs in the senior leagues - just ones with no fans, and who don't play to win.

Sometimes she comes across as a real breath of fresh air. Other times she comes across as a bumbling diddy. I shall file this under the latter of the two potential outcomes.

She isn't - probably most Hearts fans would be in favour as would most Premier club fans. It is the lower league fans in general who don't want it

I'm not so sure.

Rangers, Hamilton, Partick Thistle and Ross County have all played in league one or two in the last dozen years or so. St Johnstone and Killie in the 80s or early 90s.

You've got Dundee Utd, previously one of our bigger clubs, sitting midtable in the Championship who could face the ignominy of playing Dundee Colts in the Irn Bru Cup.

Most of these clubs are only a couple of bad season away from being back to lower league.

I'm not so sure.

Rangers, Hamilton, Partick Thistle and Ross County have all played in league one or two in the last dozen years or so. St Johnstone and Killie in the 80s or early 90s.

You've got Dundee Utd, previously one of our bigger clubs, sitting midtable in the Championship who could face the ignominy of playing Dundee Colts in the Irn Bru Cup.

Most of these clubs are only a couple of bad season away from being back to lower league.

I'm not so sure.

But it's League 2 that is impacted - and Challenge Cup is immaterial

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I'm 100% against it although I've probably got more interest in lower leagues/non-league than most Premier fans. 

Spoiler

Have always stood by the principle that it should be one team per club in the league & cups. At a time when clubs are being encouraged to enter & progress through the pyramid set up even thinking of allowing selected clubs to have more than one team involved goes completely against sporting integrity.

But it's League 2 that is impacted - and Challenge Cup is immaterial

I don't think it's immaterial at all. It was the opening move to have Colt teams playing the seniors. Plenty of posters expected this to happen next. I also very much doubt Celtic would want their Colts playing in league two indefinitely.

I don't think it's immaterial at all. It was the opening move to have Colt teams playing the seniors. Plenty of posters expected this to happen next. I also very much doubt Celtic would want their Colts playing in league two indefinitely.

Yes so what - the Challenge Cup went through as part of a package with the Betfred which was acceptable to lower league clubs. I said then that for it to metamorphose into the Leagues it would need there to be a suitable incentive for clubs in lower leagues to vote it in - there hasn't been such offered so presume the big clubs if they want this will look again at the carrot. That's not to say they can find one that clubs will accept. The fact is there is no way for this to go through without the agreement of a suitable quantity of L1/2 clubs.

Yes so what - the Challenge Cup went through as part of a package with the Betfred which was acceptable to lower league clubs. I said then that for it to metamorphose into the Leagues it would need there to be a suitable incentive for clubs in lower leagues to vote it in - there hasn't been such offered so presume the big clubs if they want this will look again at the carrot. That's not to say they can find one that clubs will accept. The fact is there is no way for this to go through without the agreement of a suitable quantity of L1/2 clubs.

Fans of L1/2 clubs are vociferously against this. No matter what carrot is dangled opinion will not shift much. So it comes down to at what price will clubs sell out on their fan base. Given the dire financial state at Cowdenbeath and your chairman’s well known allegiances it won’t take much for you to buckle I would guess.

So let me get this perfectly clear, Anne Budge believes that Scotland has too many senior clubs, and so to combat this she'd like to enter more clubs in the senior leagues - just ones with no fans, and who don't play to win.
Sometimes she comes across as a real breath of fresh air. Other times she comes across as a bumbling diddy. I shall file this under the latter of the two potential outcomes.

Agree with this.

I can’t stand her personally. Old boot.

f**k sake you still here.

Is this still a thing?
I'm not sure after the junior vote to join the pyramid. I've heard that there are 13 junior teams applying to the EoS league this year.

Apparently you only get £1800 for winning the Superleague so it's a no brainer for them if that's the case.

Knowing the SFA they'll no doubt snake the colts into the restructuring that will be needed pretty soon.

Fans of L1/2 clubs are vociferously against this. No matter what carrot is dangled opinion will not shift much. So it comes down to at what price will clubs sell out on their fan base. Given the dire financial state at Cowdenbeath and your chairman’s well known allegiances it won’t take much for you to buckle I would guess.

You would of course be guessing wrong

18 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Not that I agree with her , but an educated guess would say that she's thinking the problem involves too many clubs treading on each others' toes as opposed to a case of 'too many league places'.   The old flawed idea that more fans per club = bigger revenues per club = better players being affordable = better standard in Scotland = good for our kids etc etc.

19 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I've not met a single Motherwell fan (or any other fan outside Rangers/Celtic) who thinks that 'Colt' teams in the senior league is a good idea.

You can pish about with league structures and colt teams all you like, but if your average top league Scottish player can't trap a bag of cement or pass a ball 10 yards, and is in far worse physical shape than almost the rest of the world's international players, we won't compete at any sort of decent level.

13 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

You can pish about with league structures and colt teams all you like, but if your average top league Scottish player can't trap a bag of cement or pass a ball 10 yards, and is in far worse physical shape than almost the rest of the world's international players, we won't compete at any sort of decent level.

^^^

images.jpeg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson