Old Firm Colts in L2

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

His interview must be one of the most arrogant ones i've read in a long time patronising as f**k to lower league supporters. Jim McInally's the other day was really good.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

His interview must be one of the most arrogant ones i've read in a long time patronising as f**k to lower league supporters. Jim McInally's the other day was really good.

Let's not get carried away by the "opinion" of football people. If McInally was in McCart's shoes he'd probably be doing the same thing. They are more fickle than supporters.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The development leagues has a east and a west,the players may live all over the country but the clubs would save some dosh?

As I said in the post you quoted if any of the Angus clubs got punted up north they would more than likely have to change their signing policies. 

I would doubt any one in the current SPFL having to travel to the Highlands every couple of weeks would save dosh it would cost them more.

Another one it would be quicker for Berwick to play at Cowden than a border "derby" at Annan  given the road net work in Scotland.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Let's not get carried away by the "opinion" of football people. If McInally was in McCart's shoes he'd probably be doing the same thing. They are more fickle than supporters.

True I suppose if he was at Celtic he would be told to trot out the party line to keep his job.

2 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Speak for yourself - I do recall flagging a long time back when this was first mooted that a monetary incentive would likely be used to try and persuade to general ridicule - it then came to pass.  I inferred that maybe need to consider that it might be wise to look ahead and not just at the present initial proposal as it would likely be reshaped and repackaged to try and make it more desirable and acceptable to clubs (be they SPFL or LL) and no surprise it isn't just vote no and end of.  Debate not diatribe on here was what I was implying, less Trump more thought. 

With that level of prognostication, you're clearly a soothsayer of some repute.

I don't think many of us have any idea what point you've been trying to make, but do carry on. We must all be a bit thick.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

True I suppose if he was at Celtic he would be told to trot out the party line to keep his job.

Chris McCart's job is to develop young players at Celtic - if you look at that in isolation then this proposal will do that or at least has a likelihood of doing that - so quite sensible from that perspective

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Why would they have to do that? Do you think Elgin and Peterhead only have players from north of Tayside?

I know fine well that they have plenty of players from down this way. It was a general point using the Angus sides as an example as their on the border of the divide.

Peterhead will have guys willing to travel there as they will be the biggest payers in League 2, Elgin have a lot of guys from Perthshire /Tayside which will be down to their last 2 managers coming from Perth.

4 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Chris McCart's job is to develop young players at Celtic - if you look at that in isolation then this proposal will do that or at least has a likelihood of doing that - so quite sensible from that perspective

Aye it would be good for Celtic and Rangers but that's about it imo. 

1 minute ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

You think a team of U-21s being battered on a weekly basis by League Two level players, in games that are similarly meaningless to the Development League matches they already compete in, will develop Celtic youngsters to the point that they'll be in anyway useful to the senior side? Do you genuinely think this is the reason Celtic and Rangers want this to happen?

If given the option (and finances), would you be in favour of Cowdenbeath running a 'B' team in the SPFL, so long as it benefited your club at the expense of others?

Why would they have to do that? Do you think Elgin and Peterhead only have players from north of Tayside?

If it was regionalised though players wouldn’t be prepared to travel north every single weekend. If we played north of Aberdeen most weeks we’d not be able to attract the majority of our players. The central belt clubs would have a massive advantage over us.

5 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

His opinion is flawed though. Young players get better by gaining experience by playing with and against experienced pros. Playing youth v. Experience won't yield the results he wants.

You think a team of U-21s being battered on a weekly basis by League Two level players, in games that are similarly meaningless to the Development League matches they already compete in, will develop Celtic youngsters to the point that they'll be in anyway useful to the senior side? Do you genuinely think this is the reason Celtic and Rangers want this to happen?
If given the option (and finances), would you be in favour of Cowdenbeath running a 'B' team in the SPFL, so long as it benefited your club at the expense of others?

Perhaps, yes, no

I know fine well that they have plenty of players from down this way. It was a general point using the Angus sides as an example as their on the border of the divide.
Peterhead will have guys willing to travel there as they will be the biggest payers in League 2, Elgin have a lot of guys from Perthshire /Tayside which will be down to their last 2 managers coming from Perth.

And every other week the central belt Peterhead players will have reasonable journeys. Clyde yesterday for example would’ve basically been a home game for a lot of the central based players. If they were away up playing highland league teams every single week it would be a different story.

It will? Is there evidence of that? I've certainly not seen any.

I would have thought the likes of Sam Wardrop, Joe Thomson and Jamie Lindsay would get better development being loaned out to clubs like us in the Championship that playing alongside fellow young players against League 2 sides.

So if the colts idea is deferred for another year I think what the clubs should be doing now is to come up with better proposals to suit Scottish football and not just two clubs. Saying no will not be enough but saying well what about plan a or plan b might be in the sense of actually making Scottish football better, and not devaluing clubs or leagues or players. 

A nothing post I know but but should this be stopped for the time being it's just round 1. 

His opinion is flawed though. Young players get better by gaining experience by playing with and against experienced pros. Playing youth v. Experience won't yield the results he wants.

Well that's just your view really - the proposal I think actually meets your young players get better by gaining experience by playing with and against experienced pros criteria - they can have a couple of experienced players in their side. Youth v experience after years of just youth v youth will have some value. ,

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Perhaps, yes, no

:1eye

Aye, I'm done. Please let your views known to the Cowden fans at every opportunity so they know what they're dealing with.

It will? Is there evidence of that? I've certainly not seen any.

I would have thought the likes of Sam Wardrop, Joe Thomson and Jamie Lindsay would get better development being loaned out to clubs like us in the Championship that playing alongside fellow young players against League 2 sides.

I don't recall saying that the loan system isn't better for development?

So if the colts idea is deferred for another year I think what the clubs should be doing now is to come up with better proposals to suit Scottish football and not just two clubs. Saying no will not be enough but saying well what about plan a or plan b might be in the sense of actually making Scottish football better, and not devaluing clubs or leagues or players. 

A nothing post I know but but should this be stopped for the time being it's just round 1. 

Not a million miles from what I said

Those comments from McCart are staggeringly stupid. However it makes me wonder whether he has been given some kind of assurances from the SPFL that Colt sides will be allowed into the league in the very near future almost regardless. Or he is just that fucking thick.