Your thoughts on the 12 Premiership clubs

I think it's because we live past aged 35 and therefore don't need to rush to fit in as many football games as possible before the cold, clammy hands of heart disease drags us into the next world.

Good point. If the heroin or social deprivation doesn't finish me off before then I'll consider them bonus years.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aberdeen - I enjoyed the "mini-rivalry" a few years back, when we refused to lose to them in the league for about half a decade, while they continually knocked us out of cups and stole our management teams.  McInnes is doing a fantastic job, and other than Celtic, the best team to watch in the league by a mile.  I know a lot of their fans are spread over the country, but their away support deserves great credit.

Celtic - Brendan Rodgers, despite the stick he gets down south, is far too good a manager to be in the Scottish Premiership.  He's taken Celtic to a completely different level to all others in the country, and I can't see him being here for more than two seasons before getting bored.  I like Kieran Tierney, but they do have a few horrible creatures, none bigger than Mikael Lustig. The fans? There's nothing for them to moan at just now so they seem pretty content.  I don't find the ones that I know to gloat.

Dundee - It's a good day out for an away day, plenty of decent pubs.  I'm never sure if I like or dislike Hartley, he's a bit of strange one.  With the loss of Stewart and Hemmings, their squad is a bit "meh".

Hamilton - I've got to be honest, the "derby" just doesn't do anything for me.  It seems to be catching on with the younger element of the supports though, which is good to see.  Up until the age of 25, I think i saw us play Accies a handful of times in Cup games, so I only ever saw them as a wee local side, rather than rivals.  Kudos to the fans who follow their local side regularly.  A travesty they can't get more through the door.  I lived in Hamilton for three years and it's a bloody big place.  Fair play as well for having the guts to play a number of youngsters brought through the system, but let's be honest, a fair number of them are shite.  Also supplemented by a fair number of foriegn nonentities too. 

Hearts - As I'm sure most others have said, the best ground to go to as an away fan.  The way Hearts supporters got behind the club in their time of need was fantastic, and to be still selling out Tynecastle most weeks, a few years down the line, is brilliant.  I hope Ian Cathro succeeds.

Inverness CT - I liked Richie Foran as a Motherwell player, so I hope he does well as gaffer up there.  It's a decent away day, but the stadium itself is a bit shit.  The team is full of nonsense picked up from English non-league.  It's a poor team who goes down that road...

Kilmarnock - It used to be my number one away day, but I haven't been to Rugby Park for the best part of a decade.  It's a shame to see what's happened to the club.  A similar club to Motherwell, a similar fan base too but it looks sad to see less than 4,000 in an 18,000 stadium.  Lee Clark reminds me a bit of Ian Baraclough.  I can see it ending just as badly.  Haven't a scooby who 80% of their squad are.

Motherwell - I went to my first game nearly 26 years ago.  They're no bad.  We need to move stadium, but the prospect of moving to a St Mirren-esque stadium, out of town, fills me with dread. 

Partick Thistle - I've yet to get back to Firhill since they came back up a few years back.  A club where it all just seems a bit "meh".  Credit to the fans though, for not supporting either or.  The team, though, haven't really shown the ambition to go for a Top 6 place in recent seasons, always seems as if "10th will do". 

Rangers - A horrible club.  2012 could have been the chance of a lifetime for so many Rangers fans, the chance to start again, do it properly, have a little humility and dignity.  But no, they continued to be entitled, spoilt little thundercunts, who unbelievably walk around if they've been hard done by.  I want them to lose every game they play, I really do.

Ross County - They've got the Haggis pie, so they'll have my thanks for that.  The stadium is much better than the one in Inverness.   I don't buy the 'cuddly wee club' tag that the media seems to go along with, considering they buy a whole new squad every six months.  McGregor has been vocally supportive of this Project Brave nonsense, despite them playing next to no young Scottish players.

St. Johnstone - Good club.  They followed on from what Motherwell did a few years with the consistent top end finishes, but did it better by picking up a Scottish Cup along the way, along with a couple of cracking Euro victories.  I was delighted for them to win the cup, but jealous as fuck at the same time.  Tommy Wright seems like he'd be a cracking guy to go for a pint with.  Very likeable.  

I'd argue that the non-league English route is the way to do down.  They're on the whole better than the shite up here with half the Premiership on their CV, and they don't want as much money. 

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd argue that the non-league English route is the way to do down.  They're on the whole better than the shite up here with half the Premiership on their CV, and they don't want as much money. 

Richard Tait (Grimsby), Ben Heneghan (Chester), Craig Clay (Grimsby), Elliot Frear (Forest Green Rovers), Marvin Johnson (Kidderminster Harriers), Ryan Bowman (Gateshead), Louis Moult (Wrexham) etc etc.

My Team: Motherwell  ;)

On 2/7/2017 at 10:07, killienick said:

It stems from the fact that most HIbs fans are self-obsessed bellends with a massive, undeserved, superiority complex. I've nothing against the club specifically, like most Yo-Yo clubs I tend to forget they exist and then they come back up and I remember them again.

That's genuinely tragic. Would rather be playing in the second tier with our history and success than literally surviving by the skin of your teeth in the top flight for 20+ years with next-to-no success and barely staying afloat on the revenue of pies alone

That's genuinely tragic. Would rather be playing in the second tier with our history and success than literally surviving by the skin of your teeth in the top flight for 20+ years with next-to-no success and barely staying afloat on the revenue of pies alone

History and success?

59 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

"History and success" :lol: There's that superiority complex I was taking about! Thanks for proving my point.

On 2/7/2017 at 17:06, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Saint Johnstone: I would say "Great wee club, currently punching way above their weight" apart from the fact that their fans seem to object to being patronised as a "great wee club, currently punching way above their weight" so I'll call them an evil corporate megabrand, underachieveing,  plutocrats that represent everything that's wrong with modern football

That should be on every advertising campaign run by Saints IMO

Aberdeen

When I started going to the football, Aberdeen were pretty much the best team in the country, had recent European success and looked pretty much invincible against us. As far as I remember, the cup win at Pittodrie in 1991 was the first time I saw us beat them and it was a big deal. It was always interesting to me how Aberdeen gradually squandered the advantages they had over the vast majority of non-OF clubs and ended up flirting with their first relegation and had a bizarrely long period of being utterly mediocre. I always laughed at the Dons fans that for a long time could never accept that they weren't the team from the 80's and had OF levels of arrogance with nothing to back it up (not really a thing any more TBF) - but they have the best travelling support in the league and I think they are a good club. Seeing the aforementioned cup win from the Beach End and the jump after the "2nd place play-off" a couple of years back are two of my favourite memories, so I've got a soft spot for Pittodrie.

Celtic

When I think of Celtic, I think of Dougie Arnott scoring against them, so it's all good.

Dundee

'Well and Dundee have spent less time in the same league over the past couple of decades than people would think and so they are a club that I have no strong feeling about either way. I was glad however that they didn't go the wall and I think the league is a better place with them in it.

Hamilton

Much as Accies fans hate it, they genuinely were a team that I always looked out for their results and went to see them occasionally if 'Well weren't playing or I couldn't afford our away game. Them having been in the league for a decent number of seasons recently (and having handed out a few sickeners to us) has meant that there is more of a local rivalry there now than there has ever been IMO, which is good. Also - (for reasons that I can never remember), I was at the Sprott game, so Accies gave me one of my favourite non-'Well football moments.

Hearts

I grew up hating Hearts - no two ways about it - and I arguably hated them more than the OF during the late 80's and early 90's. the sight of Dave McPherson and Craig Levien passing the ball back to Henry Smith for 70 mins after they took the lead induced levels of seethe in me that have never been matched :) Tynecastle was a fucking toilet, so trips there to stand in the pissing rain were never a highlight. These days, Hearts seem like a model club to me - they are well supported, have the best ground in the league and are run in a sensible way that is utterly un-Hearts like...

ICT

What ICT have achieved on their budget deserves a lot of respect - was delighted for them when they got their silverware. I've had some great weekender trips up to Inverness and we've had some good jumps up there, so although the ground is pretty soulless, I've got good memories there. It's always seemed to me that ICT have the quietest/politest supporters in the league (along with County). When you're used to the vitriol at most other places, it kind of stands out.

Kilmarnock

I've always viewed Killie as the most similar club to ours - a similar size, a long run in the top league and they suffer from a stream of bigot-buses heading out of town every week as much as we do. I remember after Killie won the league cup, we were the next opponent at Rugby Park and the standing ovation from the 'Well fans when the cup was brought out was pretty sincere as these things go - probably because of the reasons above.

Motherwell

When we played that great Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Cup in the 90's, the programme in the away leg described Motherwell (in German) as "The brown mouse of Scottish Football". I have no idea what it meant but it'll do.

Partick Thistle

Similar to Dundee, Thistle and Motherwell have spent little time in the same league over the past couple of decades and so I don't believe there is any great rivalry there. What I will say is that if 'Well and Killie fans are examples of folk that have avoided the dark side against all the odds, it must go double for folk that are actually from Glasgow. Also - one of my favourite ever 'Well goals was scored against Thistle (a fine Billy Davies chip after a brazil 70-esque bit of passing if you're asking :) ).

Rangers

JS64950965.jpg

Ross County

I like County - nice area, nice people and they don't employ Derek Adams any more.

St Johnstone

If Hearts are a model of how a bigger Permiership club should be run, St Johnstone are obviously the model of how a smaller one should be run (and they have been doing it for far, far longer to their short-term detriment). The cardboard cut out fans that they used to have was also my favourite gimmick - magnificent.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Kilmarnock

I've always viewed Killie as the most similar club to ours - a similar size, a long run in the top league and they suffer from a stream of bigot-buses heading out of town every week as much as we do. I remember after Killie won the league cup, we were the next opponent at Rugby Park and the standing ovation from the 'Well fans when the cup was brought out was pretty sincere as these things go - probably because of the reasons above.

Motherwell became my least hated club that day and probably always will be - the highest honour I can bestow. Not only did we get the standing ovation you mention but there was a congratulatory banner and also a banner saying RIP to Liam Kelly's dad. Top, top, top boiz.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

History and success?

Yes. Four league titles. Three Scottish Cups. Three League Cups. The Famous Five. Turnbull's Tornadoes. The first British team to play in Europe. Reaching the semi-final of the European Cup. Beating Barcelona, Liverpool and Napoli in European competition. An average attendance of 15,000 in the second tier of Scottish football.

All stuff that provincial teams (bless them) can only dream of

21 minutes ago, killienick said:

"History and success" :lol: There's that superiority complex I was taking about! Thanks for proving my point.

It's not a superiority complex when you genuinely are bigger and better than the vast majority of clubs in Scottish football, and still remain far more relevant despite being out of the top flight for the last three seasons

1 minute ago, Hibernia said:

It's not a superiority complex when you genuinely are bigger and better than the vast majority of clubs in Scottish football, and still remain far more relevant despite being out of the top flight for the last three seasons

Hibsed it.

2 minutes ago, killienick said:

Hibsed it.

That's good mate, the very fact you use that term shows the size of our club. Teams like Kilmarnock fuck up on the regular and no one is even slightly arsed. You have to be a big club for teams to notice you. Besides, that term died on the 21st of May 2016.

Archived