Blast From The Past!

23 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I remember using such a code but the programme prior to the one I wanted to record over ran and screwed everything up. I think recording must have been linked to the published showing times rather than any particular programme.

Still get that with Virgin Media.

I recorded the Belgian Grand Prix sprint race. it was delayed by rain so I only saw the first few laps. 

58 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Still get that with Virgin Media.

I recorded the Belgian Grand Prix sprint race. it was delayed by rain so I only saw the first few laps. 

I recall going on holiday but setting it up to record some program on BBC1.

We came back and I set it going but I forgot that the clocks changed and so we only got the last two minutes followed by an hour after whatever came next.

Betamax was superior, but more costly to build, didn’t offer longer than one hour tapes for much too long, and Sony missed the boat on relationships with production companies to license tapes to rental companies (nor for distribution of adult films). Despite Beta being crushed in the consumer market, the Betamax format lived on in television production (especially TV news as Betacam, until HDTV finally killed it). Beta also was the defecto standard in the music recording industry in the 80’s and 90’s.

The most annoying thing about early Beta machines was having to set them up, turn on the TV and “tune” the channels on the broadcast TV into the VCR. Then sticking tiny celluloid number squares into the correct backlit slots by the channel selection buttons on the VCR.

9 hours ago, BTFD said:

Remember when they brought in that feature where there'd be a signal on the screen that told newer recorders it was time to start/stop recording? Can't remember what it was called, but a wee grey box would pop up at the top right of the screen.

Absolutely guaranteed that the recording would finish a couple of minutes early  :angry:

I always thought that was a sign for the local telly stations to get their ad breaks lined up back before ITV took them all over (STV aside). Your idea sounds more plausible though. :lol:

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Betamax was superior, but more costly to build, didn’t offer longer than one hour tapes for much too long, and Sony missed the boat on relationships with production companies to license tapes to rental companies (nor for distribution of adult films). Despite Beta being crushed in the consumer market, the Betamax format lived on in television production (especially TV news as Betacam, until HDTV finally killed it). Beta also was the defecto standard in the music recording industry in the 80’s and 90’s.

The most annoying thing about early Beta machines was having to set them up, turn on the TV and “tune” the channels on the broadcast TV into the VCR. Then sticking tiny celluloid number squares into the correct backlit slots by the channel selection buttons on the VCR.

Sony only stopped making and selling blank betamax cassettes in 2016 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...