Blast From The Past!

On the topic of cars, I was watching X Men Days of Future Past tonight and there's a bit in Paris in the 70's and a load of dignitaries rock up in these absolutely gorgeous Citroen DS's

It reminded me of my mums old boss who used to come to the house sometimes in his sky blue one.  One of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Incidentally, when he was a youngster at the clothing firm he worked for he was sent out to Germany to tender for the Nazi officers uniforms and attended one of the rallies at Nuremberg.  On their return they politely withdrew their offer.

citroen-ds23-01-c67d8450.jpg

11 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

On the topic of cars, I was watching X Men Days of Future Past tonight and there's a bit in Paris in the 70's and a load of dignitaries rock up in these absolutely gorgeous Citroen DS's

It reminded me of my mums old boss who used to come to the house sometimes in his sky blue one.  One of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Incidentally, when he was a youngster at the clothing firm he worked for he was sent out to Germany to tender for the Nazi officers uniforms and attended one of the rallies at Nuremberg.  On their return they politely withdrew their offer.

A while back there was a garage under a railway bridge at Waterloo fixing up 1940/50's Citroens, except they went against the purist's rules and put modern technology in. I think you could get one for about 10 grand.

citroen-legere-1949-7.jpg

11 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

KB for a laugh, will you alter your signature and add at the end of it in red type "Deid" Go on, go on, go on and please please pretty please cherry on top etc. :)

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Radio: Luxembourg.

Cars: Volvo P1800...the most svelte body Paisley has ever produced:

p1800.JPG.f451e64f1645fdd87c4be30e05fa7a3a.JPG

In a shocking coincidence my next door neighbour in Sweden designed that car. Lived there between 8 and 12.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Jag din jaivla fitta. Can't remember the spelling though. Thought they were built from scratch in Sweden. It is the Saint's car isn't it?

This thread exists to correct you ;)

The bodywork for the original P1800 was made at Linwood: http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/p1800/history-1800/

So was the Chrysler Sunbeam:

sunbeam.JPG.ebc4bfa221064dee89b1eb117c090726.JPG

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This thread exists to correct you ;)

The bodywork for the original P1800 was made at Linwood: http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/p1800/history-1800/

So was the Chrysler Sunbeam:

sunbeam.JPG.ebc4bfa221064dee89b1eb117c090726.JPG

I've got a vague memory that Pelle Petterson was my neighbour, I'll check with the family. Wish I'd known then they could thank us for the bodywork, smug gits. It's possible he was the family's dad rather than living there.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

there's still one of those going about Edinburgh.. 

the design also saved De Gaulle's life:

In August 1962, a group called the OAS (Secret Army Organization in English) plotted an assassination attempt on President De Gaulle, who they believed had betrayed France by giving up Algeria (in northern Africa) to Algerian nationalists. Near dusk on August 22, 1962, De Gaulle and his wife were riding from the Elysee Palace to Orly Airport. As his black Citroen DS sped along the Avenue de la Liberation in Paris at 70 miles per hour, 12 OAS gunmen opened fire on the car. A hail of 140 bullets, most of them coming from behind, killed two of the president’s motorcycle bodyguards, shattered the car’s rear window and punctured all four of its tires. Though the Citroen went into a front-wheel skid, De Gaulle’s chauffeur was able to accelerate out of the skid and drive to safety, all thanks to the car’s superior suspension system. De Gaulle and his wife kept their heads down and came out unharmed.

I remember a Public Information film about hypothermia. I particularly recall it interrupting my viewing of the likes of the Six Million Dollar Man. It had a guy wandering aimlessly in a snow covered countryside and a Sea King out looking for him.

No one else seems to remember it. Am I the only one. Did I imagine it?

Remember it well- can even recall the music for it!

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

On cars, in the late 70's my auntie had one of these:

IMG_1487748269.312676.jpg

Coolest thing ever.

My old man had the exact same ^^ minus the mudflaps and chrome tailpipes for a while. A reg 2.0 S. It was amusing seeing my arthritic, tall, wide and angry grandpa trying to get in and out of it. 

Did anyone watch Ghostwatch, the pseudo-documentary the BBC made in the 90s? If you missed the bit where they told you it was a hoax, it was genuinely terrifying. 

It's never been repeated due to one guy committing suicide as a result of it. Myself, I watched it and couldn't sleep for days. I imagined that I was about 12 when I watched it, but going by the transmission date, I was actually 15 which is faintly embarrassing. 

My old man had the exact same ^^ minus the mudflaps and chrome tailpipes for a while. A reg 2.0 S. It was amusing seeing my arthritic, tall, wide and angry grandpa trying to get in and out of it. 

Don't mean to get in a willy waving contest (not even sure my auntie would qualify) but hers was the 3.0S. 6cyls, twin pipes and the most amazing noise.

Same car elsewhere though. Bright red, tartan cloth seats, fishnet headrests. Same as Doyle's from The Professionals. Now there's another blast from the past!

13 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Don't mean to get in a willy waving contest (not even sure my auntie would qualify) but hers was the 3.0S. 6cyls, twin pipes and the most amazing noise.

Same car elsewhere though. Bright red, tartan cloth seats, fishnet headrests. Same as Doyle's from The Professionals. Now there's another blast from the past!

The Capri looks good but any pics of this early 80s Penelope Pitstop aunt? 

My dad's was a company car. He was reading his options list of Marinas, Cortinas, Ambassadors etc and "Capri" jumped out at him.