Blast From The Past!

23 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I remember the newsflash for Lockerbie too. Interrupted something like Lethal Weapon or Trading Places on STV. 

The Cruel Sea on BBC anyway...

Interesting how sabotage is treated as nothing more than one possibility on that, almost something simply stuck on at the end of analysis.  Imagine if this had happened last night - would be the first thing mentioned, speculation about it taking up 90% of the airtime.  Changed days.

Edited by Hedgecutter

14 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Hillsborough and Heysel both unfolded in front of the cameras to sheer disbelief.

Heysel I watched,

For Hillsborough I was at Meadow Park for an Irvine Meadow game and a couple of folk said their was fighting at the Liverpool game and it was abandoned. Most assumed hooliganism at that moment. Long time fo the truth to unfold.

Edited by MEADOWXI

I remember watching "Football Focus" or whatever it was called one Saturday afternoon and the announcer calmly mentioned that the game between Bradford and Lincoln City had been interrupted because of a fire in the stand.

It turned out to be a lot more serious than that.

Piper Alpha was the day my youngest sister was born. I don't really remember the news, but apparently my uncle had been on it but had flown off a day or so before and was sleeping off a hangover somewhere in Aberdeen - not that my dad and grandparents knew whilst franticly trying to track him down.

Newsflashes were always exciting as you knew it was obviously going to be important stuff if they were interrupting a TV show for it, but ultimately it ended up in anti-climax as it was never a visit from aliens but usually a tragedy of some sort. One of the Space Shuttles blowing up springs to mind.

I remember watching the Bradford fire rapidly taking hold live on TV as well. Grim.

Space shuttle one was covered by John craven news round if I remember correctly....and done in a far more respectful and less gleeful way than current rolling news channels normally report stuff. Bbc24 is nearly as bad as sky for it now....raoul moat thing and Paris attacks come to mind. Makes drop the dead donkey look tame

It was pre-internet but terror gripped a sleepy corner of west Fife one week in the late 80s. "The Beast of Saline" (not DA Baracus) was spotted by terrified yokels and had the media in a frenzy. Turned out the terrifying horned beast was in fact an escaped goat and it ended up getting it's picture in the paper with Jim Leishman. 

33 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It was pre-internet but terror gripped a sleepy corner of west Fife one week in the late 80s. "The Beast of Saline" (not DA Baracus) was spotted by terrified yokels and had the media in a frenzy. Turned out the terrifying horned beast was in fact an escaped goat and it ended up getting it's picture in the paper with Jim Leishman, the Beast of Lochgelly

FTFY! :lol:

lesley-fitzsimons-actress-with-jim-leishman-march-1998-pic-by-chris-b4wa33.jpg.ea0e8098d8bb44d055f77db3ac8072da.jpg

Going back to Lockerbie... which Dutch superstar player ended up as a guard back in the Netherlands keeping an eye on the "Lockerbie Bomber" when he was awaiting trial? Clue - he drove a 2CV.

Edited by Shandon Par