The Photography Thread

7 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Great photos - are you using manual exposure only?   Recently back from Baltic and eyesight now a problem when it come to checking the exposure.  Have tried AP to try and counter this.  Lack of using a tripod is also an issue but on organised trips difficult to use in set time.

I mostly shoot manual. Not sure what you mean by AP. Do you check your exposure meter in between and taking shots? Try and get the meter bang centre at 0 and take a test shot first. You can also adjust exposure compensation if too dark/light. That would be my advice and also check the histogram. If manual a bit too tricky try aperture priority mode for still shots and let the camera adjust the shutter speed.

My eyesight not as sharp as it used to be but i always take a test shot first and adjust settings to suit.:)

8 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

and a couple more

IMG_0498a.jpg

IMG_0503a.jpg

I'll be honest in saying these are cracking photos and nothing that Lightroom or Photoshop wont fix in 5 mins.

I'd drop the exposure a tad, lose the highlights and adjust colour (de-saturate blue a tad) but apart from that they look sharp.

Do you shoot in Raw?

8 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

I mostly shoot manual. Not sure what you mean by AP. Do you check your exposure meter in between and taking shots? Try and get the meter bang centre at 0 and take a test shot first. You can also adjust exposure compensation if too dark/light. That would be my advice and also check the histogram. If manual a bit too tricky try aperture priority mode for still shots and let the camera adjust the shutter speed.

My eyesight not as sharp as it used to be but i always take a test shot first and adjust settings to suit.:)

Thanks for that - by AP I meant Apperture Priority.  At the moment I do not use either Photoshop or Lightroom and as such tend to only shoot jpeg rather than raw.  Trying to learn a new Pinnacle programme for video at the moment but may consider Lightroom in the future. 

8 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Thanks for that - by AP I meant Apperture Priority.  At the moment I do not use either Photoshop or Lightroom and as such tend to only shoot jpeg rather than raw.  Trying to learn a new Pinnacle programme for video at the moment but may consider Lightroom in the future. 

I should have got that (the AP) but it was late at night and I was goosed ;))

If you shot in RAW you'd be able to fix most of the things that annoy you i'e. exposure, highlights, colour etc. Its not everyones "thing" but once you get into it, it can really bring on your photos.

If i get a chance tonight I'll stick up a standard raw and a post raw converted to jpeg to let you see the difference.

I've been a bit lazy in getting out lately, however here's a couple from recent weeks in contrasting conditions. The first one was shot in the first week of May from the bealach between Lurg Mhor and Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, two remote munros in the NW highlands. This was one of the few breaks from horizontal rain and hail :lol: The second one was sunset from a nearby Loch in Angus, during this lengthy spell of decent, hot weather.

42469250291_6450dedf0e_z.jpg

28596974958_c76d988f16_z.jpg

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

I've been a bit lazy in getting out lately, however here's a couple from recent weeks in contrasting conditions. The first one was shot in the first week of May from the bealach between Lurg Mhor and Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, two remote munros in the NW highlands. This was one of the few breaks from horizontal rain and hail :lol: The second one was sunset from a nearby Loch in Angus, during this lengthy spell of decent, hot weather.

Good shots. Did those two Munros away back in the day, in October. Walked in to the bothy at Bearnais at night, crossed the wire bridge at Achnashellach with head torches, stags roaring all over the place.

Looking for a bit of help. My dad passed away last week and going through his stuff and he has a LUMIX DMC FZ272. Anyone know if it is worth anything as no one in my family has any use for it and I know he only bought it about a year and a half ago

27 minutes ago, YHallSaint said:

Looking for a bit of help. My dad passed away last week and going through his stuff and he has a LUMIX DMC FZ272. Anyone know if it is worth anything as no one in my family has any use for it and I know he only bought it about a year and a half ago

Bill Oddie likes it. About £350 new.

Edited by welshbairn

I’ll admit that I took this on my phone and that I put an Instagram filter on it...I will say however that I put some effort in going out late to capture the last of the evening light and I think it turned out quite nice.

IMG_2452.jpg.b5e787148db2270850e5e5bc46782a39.jpg