UEFA TV Blackout

Wouldn't surprise me. I suppose you're not allowed to record films, or some music performances, but for a scottish football game that's not getting covered elsewhere, it seems a bit ridiculous.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RiG said:

Pretty sure some Hibs fans were threatened with being ejected last season when they Periscoped the Inverness CT v Hibs replay in the Scottish Cup.

untitled_11.jpg.36c3db03d21d5ec3a61a70e0e06cb823.jpg

You're not allowed to film inside the ground under the terms of admission/ground regulations etc. which is why people can be ejected and perhaps worse if they stream games online.

Regarding the blackout aka "UEFA Embargo" - it's a UEFA rule which means clubs sign-up for it through their national FAs being members of UEFA. It's also part of an agreement or concordat between UEFA and EPFL the European Professional Football Leagues Organisation, which it to leagues what UEFA is to FAs although obviously much more restricted in activity and scope. No competitions involving top-tier clubs can be scheduled for UEFA dates - postponed or cancelled games and cup replays may be rearranged - and nothing can be televised. In past seasons there was some kind of loophole that allowed rearranged lower-level cup-ties to be televised - several Rangers ties in the Petrofac were - but no longer, seemingly.

27 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

The entire current format of the Champions League is diminishing viewing figures. It's fucking boring.

This. I noticed a graphic from BT Sport last night about Arsenal going out at the Last 16. Three times against Bayern Munich, twice against Barcelona and a French and Italian side thrown in to "mix it up". It's all become incredibly predictable with the seeding. Same teams knocking each other out every year, hope it dies on its arse with this current format.

C6YYGYrWUAAFxUT.thumb.jpg.655bcf54ecf2dc1a887ac2edc0b6a940.jpg

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Pretty sure some Hibs fans were threatened with being ejected last season when they Periscoped the Inverness CT v Hibs replay in the Scottish Cup.

I think every club has the same ground regulations and tickets are sold on the basis that you adhere to them and on that list...

8. With the exception of authorised Media representatives holding accreditation issued by the club/event organiser, the taking of photographs or filming by any means inside the Ground is prohibited. In addition, no transmission or reproduction, in whole or in part, in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, recording or otherwise is permitted save with a special authorisation in writing by the club/event organiser and, where appropriate, the prior consent of The Scottish Football Association, the Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Football League or appropriate body.

http://www.afc.co.uk/tickets/ground-regulations.php

13 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I think every club has the same ground regulations and tickets are sold on the basis that you adhere to them and on that list...

http://www.afc.co.uk/tickets/ground-regulations.php

Oh yeah I know you can't film games for those reasons but my post was more highlighting an example of where someone has been using Periscope to broadcast a game and caught by the stewards and threatened with ejection (all captured on camera as well :lol:). Not saying that they are acting within the rules by any stretch.

The "blackout" is the result of a Memorandum of Understanding between UEFA and the EPFL (European Professional Football Leagues).  It's not actually a rule written anywhere in the Champions League or Europa League regulations.

The MoU is here, for anyone interested: http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/EuroExperience/uefaorg/Leagues/01/78/06/83/1780683_DOWNLOAD.pdf 

The EPFL believe that UEFA have already breached it by bringing in reforms to the Champions League that sees the top 4 nations guaranteed 4 places. But in any case, it expires on 15th March and as yet no replacement has been agreed. So I'd expect to see rescheduled English matches being played on Champions League match days for at least the rest of this season.

The Scottish Cup is a strange one because there's no such agreement with national FAs for their cup competitions. Presumably, since it's the FAs themselves that are members of UEFA, there's an internal agreement. The English FA have in the past had replays shown opposite Champions League games, so I can only assume that the bigger associations are prepared to say GTF, knowing that, in general, UEFA need them more than they need UEFA.

2 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

The entire current format of the Champions League is diminishing viewing figures. It's fucking boring.

Totally agree - and probably irreparably so. The Champions league was instrumental* in creating an elite tier of clubs that are now so rich, that a change in format of the competition would likely still result in the same old faces making it to the QFs every year. For good measure, in smaller leagues, the secondary tier of clubs that are enriched by CL group stage/last 16 qualification are also at a huge competitive advantage, which hurts those leagues.

Despite having access to the games on TV in the house, it's 3 or 4 years since I watched a CL game live; the qualification is designed around the relative size of TV market and not sporting merit, the group stages are monumentally predictable and the latter stages are over-long and feature the same teams on rotation. The glamour/mystique of european football that existed when I was growing up has been terminally diminished by the fact that you can watch all the "big" teams in their domestic leagues practically every night of the week if I wanted to. 

My main worry is that in order to avoid TV deals peaking due to diminishing viewing figures that UEFA or the ECA gut the domestic leagues to create the cliched European Super League at some point in the near future..

*although the recent domestic TV deals in the "biggest" 4 countries have greatly accelerated/overtaken this effect

Noticed there's a La Liga fixture tonight but it's kicked off early to avoid clashing with Champions League. Saints played the old firm in consecutive weeks at a similar time 5-6 seasons ago for similar reasons IIRC

29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm sure the game that spawned this gif was an early kick off due to a Champions League game.

neil-lennon-kicking-bottles-o.gif

It was. 

Celtic and Rangers also both played St Johnstone at 6pm on successive Tuesdays in the same season. 

And yet for two the last two seasons we played Celtic at Dens midweek on Champions League nights, at normal times with no TV coverage. Maybe the lack of a title race had a bearing there, whereas in 2011 it was close between the gruesome twosome. 

58 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm sure the game that spawned this gif was an early kick off due to a Champions League game.

neil-lennon-kicking-bottles-o.gif

I could watch the wee camp Michael Flatley step all night :lol:

4 hours ago, Swello said:

Totally agree - and probably irreparably so. The Champions league was instrumental* in creating an elite tier of clubs that are now so rich, that a change in format of the competition would likely still result in the same old faces making it to the QFs every year. For good measure, in smaller leagues, the secondary tier of clubs that are enriched by CL group stage/last 16 qualification are also at a huge competitive advantage, which hurts those leagues.

Despite having access to the games on TV in the house, it's 3 or 4 years since I watched a CL game live; the qualification is designed around the relative size of TV market and not sporting merit, the group stages are monumentally predictable and the latter stages are over-long and feature the same teams on rotation. The glamour/mystique of european football that existed when I was growing up has been terminally diminished by the fact that you can watch all the "big" teams in their domestic leagues practically every night of the week if I wanted to. 

My main worry is that in order to avoid TV deals peaking due to diminishing viewing figures that UEFA or the ECA gut the domestic leagues to create the cliched European Super League at some point in the near future..

*although the recent domestic TV deals in the "biggest" 4 countries have greatly accelerated/overtaken this effect

Good post.

I could not care less about the CL.  It's scarcely a sporting competition at all.

A grotesque monster of a thing.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Aye the CL's shite like. Nothing interesting happens anymore.

Not shite.  Lots of good players can enable remarkable things to happen on the field.

However, the whole thing is a cynical money making enterprise.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not shite.  Lots of good players can enable remarkable things to happen on the field.

However, the whole thing is a cynical money making enterprise.

I've seen remarkable things happen on the field in Sunday league games.

The Champions League is shite.

Archived