Sick days

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, keithgy said:

I was off for a month.

Pretty poor effort from them, obviously not ideal to have someone out for a length of time but three months with subsidised pay at least and no threatening warnings should be the standard by now.

I can only recall being off "sick" once in my current 11 years of working (15 years if I include my paper route, which I was never off). I had a really sore head the previous day (when I was off) and during the night it didn't shift. I woke up a couple of times and was violently sick as well so phoned my line manager telling them I wouldn't be in. I went to the Doctor that day and ended up being admitted into the hospital for three days. Horrible.

When I was 16 I worked at KFC and took a couple of days off pretending to be sick. One was to play fitba on the Sunday and the other was to go and watch QoS away to Stranraer. Though the latter wasn't really pretending. I had asked weeks in advance for the day off and the manager said yes. She then rostered me for it and wouldn't give me it off. I told her in front of the staff that she had better find someone as I wouldn't be in for the shift; simple as that. She was an absolute cow but when I think back I can't believe how much bottle I had back then with things. I would never speak to my current manager the way I spoke to her. The carefree attitude of youth I suppose. The point of the last paragraph is that I never felt guilty phoning in sick there but that time when I was genuinely unwell I felt quite bad about it.

I was only off at my previous place of employment due to a bereavement. You got paid for sick days at my last job but they did away with it just before I left. There was a big fat lazy fucker who started and would be off on average 2/3 times a month. But rather than give her some kind of warning they did away with sick pay for the whole company. Absolute pussies. There was even one occasion she phoned in sick and an hour later she sent a colleague a picture of her at a BBQ. The manager saw the photo and still didn't do anything :lol:

6 minutes ago, thelocalcat said:

Pretty poor effort from them, obviously not ideal to have someone out for a length of time but three months with subsidised pay at least and no threatening warnings should be the standard by now.

That is UPS for you,pay you well but treat you like crap.

You've had a tough deal, but don't take it out on folk who just need a couple of days off once in a while.

There's a line though, obviously. But I take your point.

I certainly don't expect everyone to soldier through stuff - not at all. But there are folk who take the piss. Always has been, always will be.

About 3 days in the last 5 years. Last one I took I couldn't sleep and woke up knackered so just phoned in claiming I had the runs and went back to bed. 

There's an absence management policy in my work but I'm sure it applies more rigidly to some than others... 

I've had 5 days off since about 2011. All of them last year the week after a knee op. I could have had another few out of it but my other half was getting on my tits and it's not like i could easily escape on crutches :lol:

The council have palmed off sickness absence management to a company called DAYONE, where you call and speak to a nurse who'll apparently advise you on the best way to manage your illness. So tempted to find out how to manage after calling to let them know "I've got a truly world-ending dose of the shites".

Anyone who takes sick days as a free couple of days off is low life scum who have no respect for management they work for

the colleagues they work with or the commitment they made when signing a contract. It's a clear, deliberate act of gross misconduct and should face instant dismissal, with any future job the chancer wriggles into being one they are lucky as hell to get.

Providing you can perform at 60-70% you should be turning up .

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Anyone who takes sick days as a free couple of days off is low life scum who have no respect for management they work for

the colleagues they work with or the commitment they made when signing a contract. It's a clear, deliberate act of gross misconduct and should face instant dismissal, with any future job the chancer wriggles into being one they are lucky as hell to get.

Providing you can perform at 60-70% you should be turning up .

How does this apply if the employee self certs themselves?

^^^

^^^ gormless idiot found

If a member of staff is ill with even just a cold then they should absolutely take a sick day and avoid spreading it to the rest of their colleagues. The already factored in cost of a few sick days is far less than a widespread outbreak because some Typhoid Mary figure is trying to show how great they are by traipsing in, managing 50% of their work and slithering back to their bed.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can only recall being off "sick" once in my current 11 years of working (15 years if I include my paper route, which I was never off). I had a really sore head the previous day (when I was off) and during the night it didn't shift. I woke up a couple of times and was violently sick as well so phoned my line manager telling them I wouldn't be in. I went to the Doctor that day and ended up being admitted into the hospital for three days. Horrible.

When I was 16 I worked at KFC and took a couple of days off pretending to be sick. One was to play fitba on the Sunday and the other was to go and watch QoS away to Stranraer. Though the latter wasn't really pretending. I had asked weeks in advance for the day off and the manager said yes. She then rostered me for it and wouldn't give me it off. I told her in front of the staff that she had better find someone as I wouldn't be in for the shift; simple as that. She was an absolute cow but when I think back I can't believe how much bottle I had back then with things. I would never speak to my current manager the way I spoke to her. The carefree attitude of youth I suppose. The point of the last paragraph is that I never felt guilty phoning in sick there but that time when I was genuinely unwell I felt quite bad about it.

I was only off at my previous place of employment due to a bereavement. You got paid for sick days at my last job but they did away with it just before I left. There was a big fat lazy fucker who started and would be off on average 2/3 times a month. But rather than give her some kind of warning they did away with sick pay for the whole company. Absolute pussies. There was even one occasion she phoned in sick and an hour later she sent a colleague a picture of her at a BBQ. The manager saw the photo and still didn't do anything :lol:

Similarly when I was younger and working in a shop I'd agreed holiday dates well Ina dance to go to football, then as the time got closer they decided I wasn't having them. So I then got someone to swap shifts (therefore meaning I wasn't taking time off and had zero impact on the management or the work being done) and they responded by refusing to let the person do my shifts for no apparent reason other than spite. The feeling of seeing their faces as I handed in my notice the next morning in enough time to still go was absolutely glorious.

On sick days, a previous manager I had was one of those really annoying managers who said stuff like "unless you can't move then you should be in" but then complained about illnesses spreading throughout the office without the slightest realisation of the irony, even after having it clearly explained.

I was self employed so if I didn't work I didn't get paid therefore didn't benefit from pulling a sickie.

Didn't stop the management moaning like f**k if on the rare occasion I did take a day off sick though!

3 hours ago, keithgy said:

I got a warning for being off with pneumonia,my work really care.

I got a warning for being off after getting bit by a dog and having to get my hands stitched. 

Royal Mail.

Who do not have their employees insured against things like this.

Archived