How would/ will you vote?

Fide

The vote  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shades75 said:

Someone needs to let the BBC know that we are bereft of a first minister - 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30118626

Look...I am absolutely right on this point.  The SP does not elect its own FM whatever is reported on the BBC and however many quotes you and yours make.

The FM is appointed by the crown.  Tell me I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I am simply aghast, young Shadey.  That c) is the answer is beyond dispute and it's to the voters' demerit that they don't acknowledgment this.  That this is even a question is disturbing.

Not as disturbing as "they don't acknowledgement this"!

6 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Not as disturbing as "they don't acknowledgement this"!

Well it's a democracy deficit north and south of the border that we've seen tonight and shocking ignorance from The Nats and others.  Missed opportunity, too, to reform an anachronism.  Still, if you're thick as f**k you won't see what the problem is.

That uttter fandans reckon we vote for parties and for heads of government is breathtakingly ignorant.

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Look...I am absolutely right on this point.  The SP does not elect its own FM whatever is reported on the BBC and however many quotes you and yours make.

The FM is appointed by the crown.  Tell me I am wrong.

I don't need you to be wrong for me to be right.

The meaning of words are defined by their common usage.  They evolve through time.

The oxford dictionary, for example, now accepts that "literally" does not literally mean "literally" any more 8).

Nicola Sturgeon absolutely was elected as First Minister.  She was "chosen" and "voted for", to wit "elected".

Westminster governments are elected because we vote for them.  It's how people describe what they are doing by voting in a general election, it's what their intention is and it's what they believe they are doing.

All these processes are reported as such by the media and that they are truth is un-questioned.  The language and terms that have been used during the process have come to be recognised as sufficiently descriptive and are repeated by all parties, ubiquitously.

That there is an antiquated process of appointment by the crown is irrelevant.  No-one cares.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

How did your vote for FM go?

Never had one due to being non-resident.

I appreciate the ever so tedious point you're making. Please desist from trying to derail large chunks of discussion based purely on such crap.

Tony Blair was re-elected. First sentence of 4th paragraph.

I'm struggling to follow this argument.  We don't elect First Ministers in Scotland or Prime Ministers in the UK.  But when people vote for a political party they do so in the knowledge that the person that heads the largest political party is almost certainly going to be FM or PM.

At the Holyrood elections the SNP, led by Sturgeon, got significantly more votes than any other party and she became FM.  At the Westminster elections the Tories, led by Cameron, got 38% of the vote and we now have May as PM.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm struggling to follow this argument.  We don't elect First Ministers in Scotland or Prime Ministers in the UK.  But when people vote for a political party they do so in the knowledge that the person that heads the largest political party is almost certainly going to be FM or PM

We don't, not in Westminster.

Tonight a YouGov / Times poll of Scottish voters reveals support for union at 2 and a half year high
57% Remain in UK
43% Independence

13 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

I don't need you to be wrong for me to be right.

The meaning of words are defined by their common usage.  They evolve through time.

Nice pretendy bollocks, chap.  I am astonished, though, that folk think we vote for parties (in Westminster), FMs and PMs.  I know I have been scathing of posters before.but I think I am making a more than decent point here.

Archived