Final Renfrewshire Derby of the season

John McGinn is a far, far better player than Ross Forbes. It's not even up for debate.

Tbh i like McGinn but Forbes has scored more goals and had more assists than him this season playing in the same division so what would he have to do in your opinion to be deemed to be as good as Mcginn ?

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

Tbh i like McGinn but Forbes has scored more goals and had more assists than him this season playing in the same division so what would he have to do in your opinion to be deemed to be as good as Mcginn ?

Forbes still has weaknesses such as his lack of pace and his ability to fall over either in the box or 25 yards from goal trying to win a foul. His goals and assists stats have been top drawer this season but he is far from a top player.

McGinn is a smashing player

I know he was injured for around 6 weeks but 5 goals this season is pretty poor imo. Just had a look at his stats and he only managed 3 league goals last season. Can see why supporters of other clubs aren't entirely enthused by him

Scottish Cup winner though 

2 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I know he was injured for around 6 weeks but 5 goals this season is pretty poor imo. Just had a look at his stats and he only managed 3 league goals last season. Can see why supporters of other clubs aren't entirely enthused by him

And league cup winner.

Not all midfielders are about their goal scoring capabilities though.

3 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

And a league cup winner, IIRC :thumsup2

I'm honestly not sure that goals will ever be a major part of his game. He always struck me as more of a possession, keep-the-ball-moving sort of a player. Sort of player you could stick the ball to in a tight spot and he'll hold off the opposition, retain the ball, and bring his teammates into play. Also the sort of player who could beast Victor Wanyama in a national semi final at Hampden. I'd imagine.

Edit: pipped by @Bobby_F ! 

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

And a league cup winner, IIRC :thumsup2

I'm honestly not sure that goals will ever be a major part of his game. He always struck me as more of a possession, keep-the-ball-moving sort of a player. Sort of player you could stick the ball to in a tight spot and he'll hold off the opposition, retain the ball, and bring his teammates into play. Also the sort of player who could beast Victor Wanyama in a national semi final at Hampden. I'd imagine.

Edit: pipped by @Bobby_F ! 

Sounds almost as if you are describing the Sibbald of last season. Similar style of player, a baller but not really an eye for goal. Only managed 4 last season, but already 10 this season. Similar age to McGinn, who definitely has potential to add goals to his game imo 

37 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

His goals and assists this season are fucking brilliant btw, he also fits in well with Morton as a team. But he's not a better player than McGinn, that's just silly. 

Will he get a big move of the back of this season? 

You're right that Forbes just fits in with this Morton side. If it wasn't for Murdoch and Lindsay's work rate he wouldn't have had such a good season. It's no coincidence that now when Murdoch and Lindsay have become tired, Forbes' assists/goals have dried up. He could go from now till the end of the season without a goal/assist and his stats would still be outstanding though.

We've got him tied down for next season already. Unlike McGinn, he's not mobile enough for the Premiership which is why Partick ended up having to punt him a few years ago. I've not got any worry of losing him.

It isn't even up for debate which one of them is a better player, and if anyone is suggesting Forbes is without being at the wind up needs their head examined.

Which one I'd rather have in my team can at least be argued, especially if the team is the current Morton team.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Forbes, for me.

Best player in a team that has mounted an unlikely title challenge. I'd also make Duffy manager of the year, even if Ross keeps us up. 

Cummings will win player of year. Not saying I agree or don't agree but that's what will happen.

Duffy will probably win manager of year unless Hibs win the cup.

Cummings will win player of year. Not saying I agree or don't agree but that's what will happen.
Duffy will probably win manager of year unless Hibs win the cup.

I've seen a lot of hibs over the past few years and mcginn has never stood out. Cummings has always performed against us on the other hand

Archived